Originally Posted by mkirk
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Deer hunting is an awfully broad description of the hunting you intend to do and says nothing about the terrain. Size of deer (100lb or 250 lb) and type of hunting (stand in the woods or hiking above timberline) also would help in getting recommendations that would fit your situation.

Average size of deer runs between 165-230lbs. Terrain is both thick and open. This will be a stand rifle but need to be suited for the stalk into the stand as well. A walk up to or over a mile with a treestand and gear on your back weighing close to 30lbs is normal. Most hikes are on average 45min -1hr. Vegetation and terrain is very diverse. One minute you are on flat ground next can be barely making it up the side of a steep ridge. Visible distances can go from not seeing more than 10yds to wide open up to 300yds. If I know the stand setup is relatively thick and the shots are known to be close I carry my brush rifle which is a Rem. 760 in 30-06.

Up the top end weights to 300+ pounds and this takes in a lot of whitetail country I have hunted from New Brunswick and New England to Alberta. In truth it takes in a lot of mule deer country too.

Lots of cartridges work and I have used the 270, 280, 7x57, 7/08, 30/06 and some magnum chamberings as well. I have yet to be anywhere that a 270 or 280 with a 22" barrel weighing about 7-7 1/2 pounds scoped was a handicap in any way.I have killed with anything along these lines that I have carried and at distances from 30 feet to a bit over 400 yards.

Mostly I have used a 270 Winchester for all this stuff.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/15/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.