Originally Posted by ltppowell
Right? Suicide is the most selfish act in the world.

She has terminal cancer. She is going to die, very soon.

In general, I agree with you that suicide is the most selfish act in the world. In this case and those like it, I don't consider it suicide.

We watched my grandfather, one of the best people I've ever known, wither away under a terminal illness (one with no treatments and no cure). It eventually killed him, after it had taken his mind first, then every one of his bodily functions, finally taking him when he could no longer swallow and his involuntary muscle controls ceased to function.

I'd have ended his suffering (he didn't even know who any of us were, and eventually couldn't even see or acknowledge us), if I could have. We had to just sit there and watch him suffer.

This young lady is only avoiding a few weeks, at most, of terrible pain and agony for herself and her family. She's not doing it out of selfishness for herself, but love for her family. Their last memories of her will be of her as she has always been to them, and not some miserable, pain-wracked, wasted-away shell of a human.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.