This is truly amazing. How this old tired yardstick of a cartridge can inspire so much interest. I think it's testimony to the very reason the 06 has endured this long. It never gets old. I wish I had some way of tallying up all the threads on all the forums on the net,that revolve around the old 06. I'm obviously pro 30/06. Always have been. So,I'm a little biased. But,I can understand other folks not being in the cult.

I have a 7 Rem mag presently,that I am very fond of. It will do anything the Otter6 will. Just as well. Maybe a shade better with bullets under 150gr. Light .30 caliber lead core bullets get a little chubby and inefficient. On the other hand the old 06 can make good use of a 200gr bullet. It doesn't even need to be a monolithic. The 30/06 is what I call cup and core compatible. All that being said. Even though my T3 7 mag is a one hole wonder.Lots of cool factor. And just damn near perfect. If I had to choose between it and a comparable 30/06 as my go-to,one gun for all. Adios. I'll take the 06 purely out of some odd attraction to it. It just begs to be used. I can't explain it,but I believe it's the same voo doo that keeps us coming back to it. Even if for no other reason than to expound on it's virtues and it's faults.

To answer the OP. When won't it do? When in your own mind it isn't the best rifle for the job. You gotta have confidence in your rig. If you don't, you need a different rig.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."