Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Coyote Hunter,

What does losing one cow elk right with a 7mm Remington Magnum have to do with when the .30-06 won't work? You can quote all the theoretical numbers you want, but any cartridge "won't work" when you shoot animals in the wrong place.

Did you not read your own post, to which I was responding?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jorge,

The statement that someboody "wished" they had something bigger is one of the great cliches of hunting dangerous game, but unless something bad actually happened (and it usually hasn't) then it's just speculation. It has about as much relevance to what actually happens as a government study based on faulty math and zero actual bears.

My response was to point out that there are in fact times when people wished they had used "something bigger" because "something bad" actually did happen. Admittedly this was a sample of one, as I pointed out. While it had nothing to do with dangerous game, that was not a requirement in the OP's original question. In this case it had nothing to do with a .30-06, either, but if you read your post, it did not specify a .30-06 as the base level cartridge against which the desired "something bigger" cartridge was measured.

Lastly, it is my belief, as stated in my post, "that it may have been one of those marginal situations where "something bigger" like my .338 might have made a difference in the final outcome, even if POI had been the same. " So in this particular case for me, wishing I had used something bigger is not just a "great cliche".

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.