Use the wrong bullet at the wrong distance (velocity / energy)on the wrong critter and failure will be the order of the day. Put the right bullet for the job in the right spot,at the right distance,and the 06 will provide all the success you could want.

If you want more than that it's easy to find. Unfortunately bullet selection becomes more critical. The wrong bullet takes on more meaning from say a 300 ultra. More likely to need (want) a premium pill for a given job. The same can be said for the 243. You will be more likely to use a premium bullet in the same situation that an old cup and core would be applicable in the 06. At least that is what we are led to believe here in the funny papers. The 80gr TTSX in a 243 is touted to be a lightning strike on moose to mice. But,we still can't come to grips with the good old 30/06.

Hey,my 243(s) have been good to me. It's one of my favorite rounds.As is the 300 Ultra. I chose these 2 chamberings as examples based on personal experience. The 30/06 won't work when you are convinced you need a new rig. But you need to know that no matter what you choose,it has limitations. And not always in the form of effective range. I shot a little whitetail with a 270 Weatherby once with a 130 gr cup and core. Talk about bullet failure! Softball size entrance. Apparently 125 yards was a little too close. Had it been 450 yds,I'm sure I would have been quite pleased with the performance. On the same animal,at that same distance with say a 30/06 165gr cup and core of your choosing I bet the results would have been text book.

If the bullet selection and given velocity achieved from the 30/06 isn't suitable for your style of hunting don't buy one. I'm just lucky to be one of the fellers that can live out my days with the old girl. I've never seen a polar bear or rhino in the Gunny. No cape buff here in PA either. Oh it may be a little much for 200 lb deer. They never complained. Heck,now a days the 308 can be loaded to nearly 06 levels,and folks think it's the bee's knees for deer.

Summer time is the time to discuss the finer points of the 30/06. It's all about perspective. Cut and dried? He!! no. Thank goodness. I just love these threads.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."