Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jorge,

The statement that someboody "wished" they had something bigger is one of the great cliches of hunting dangerous game, but unless something bad actually happened (and it usually hasn't) then it's just speculation. It has about as much relevance to what actually happens as a government study based on faulty math and zero actual bears.

Here is the signature line from the unnamed expert who hasn't posted here, probably because he's actually out guiding clients for very big grizzlies, generally known as brown bears:

"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship."

As I noted in an earlier post, I'd bet he'd vote for the .458 Winchester over the .30-06 for charging grizzlies, but he has actually used both on several wounded, charging bears and hasn't been mauled yet. So to flatly claim the .30-06 "won't work" because somebody else who wasn't mauled has wished for a bigger gun, or some other sort of theory-based argument, is once again mere speculation.

speculation to be sure, same goes for the "luck" factor. All I can tell you is that *I* won't be using an 06 when the day comes. I'm certainly not in your league or Phil's (and by a long shot) but experiencing what I have experienced, there is just no way I would even consider an 06 for brown bear. I know it will work, I'm just not willing to slice it that thin.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”