Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Brown or grizzly bear at close range, Cape Buffalo, lion, obviously elephant.

We all know the '06 will kill all of those animals & that's not the point, but I want something bigger for those listed & could easily opt out if the '06 was the only choice.

Can't imagine that most Alaskan brown bear guides would prefer their clients to have an '06 instead of a 338 or 375 in their hands assuming they shoot them all equally well (which I can).

MM

You may not be able to understand it but believe me when I say that most Alaskan guides have more confidence when they see a hunter show up with a well worn 30-06, or even a 270, than with a 338 or 375.

The 30-06 has been a favorite brown bear cartridge for a number of experienced guides and gov't hunters and biologists , even many who owned 375's ! Hosea Sarber, who was a gov't hunter, wrote that he actually preferred his 30-06 over his 375 as it killed just as well and didn't kick as bad.
I know of experienced guides today who still carry and prefer the 30-06 over the 375 for brown bear hunting due to it's ability to hold more rounds in the magazine.

And if you want to talk about Africa, Mike LaGrange, who killed thousands of elephants as culler, used a pair of M-1 Garands in 30-06 !

I still stand by my tag line. If a hunter knows how to shoot there is not much they can not accomplish with a properly loaded 30-06.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.