I think modern hunters tend to place too much emphasis on powder bottles (cartridge case) and velocity/energy figures and not enough on bullet construction. There is, in my mind, an advantage to velocities in the 2400-2800 fps range, in terms of being more predictable in how a bullet behaves when it hits an animal at normal hunting ranges of 300 yards or less. And a .30-06 will do this with bullets of 180-200 grains...and they make the partition in those weights.
I suspect if the .30-06 hadn't been designed 109 years ago, and appeared today as the ".30-270 Remchestuger Magnum," it would lauded by many as what we'd been waiting for all these years. A reasonable cartridge with long range potential, liveable recoil, and good barrel life.
I am probably coming close to plagiarizing several ancient and extant gunwriters, and for that, I apologize. But I've known too many folks who "traded up" from a .30-06 or .270 to something way bigger, and started missing and losing animals, including elk and deer, cause they didn't practice with, and were secretly scared of, their new rifles.

Last edited by 300_savage; 04/26/15.