Home
Jeez, Ben. I waited, uhh, half a day or so, for you to start this......

[Linked Image]
He is probably to busy chasing sharpies since its the last day of the season.
Sorry fellers, was out hunting sharps and setting more steel with a calling stand thrown in for good measure.. And the only thing I killed was a vole for bait at a dirthole set.. blush grin The only sharps we saw were on land we couldn't hunt on. We'll git 'em next season...

Good to see you kilt something though Don. grin
Where's the vole pic?....grin
Sorry, no vole pic... Hopefully it(the vole)'ll help me get a coyote pic though... whistle
Shot it this morning.
[Linked Image]
CRAP! Im already behind�.
18# Sow (stretched 32")

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
18# Sow (stretched 32")

[Linked Image]

You are on a roll... Good job!
You need to step it up there young man.

You ain't gonna let an old coot like me out do ya,,, are you? grin

PS,,,trust me,,, it's mostly chit house luck. wink

I cain't kill cats this year... Since I moved to IN, I lost my residency.. mad And non-residents can't kill cats in Montana. And I've been here for the required 6 months as of this month, but you can't buy a license after season opens.. Oh, trust me, I'm thrilled to be sitting it out! whistle

Ben
Oh,,,, didn't know?

Sux though!
Yeah, I know.. frown
FieldGrade, Beautiful cat. Looks like she has lots of pattern on her back. Is that cat trapped or hunted? I'm assuming hunted because of the dog but what do I know?
Good to see you weren't slacking bud! I forgot to start a 2014 thread! I was to busy duck huntin yesterday and had to go back to work today
17# Tom stretched 31"

[Linked Image]

Snow this year really shut my trapping down for me. Tough having to break trail in the morning checking traps before heading to work at 6 or waiting till 7 at night to break trails. Need a snowmobile this year. Nice cat
Thanks Laker
I'd take some of that snow off your hands if I could. I'd like to catch another Cat or two with my little cur dog before I get to old to make the tree.
Probably get some the day after Cat season ends:( (as usual)
Nice cats there FieldGrade. smile
17# Tom stretched 31"

[Linked Image]

OK, now you're rubbing it in! laugh

Great work, keep it up! What is the quota over there?

Laker, we're in the same predicament as you with the snow. All my sets are getting blown over with snow, and some places we just ain't setting because the coyotes are mostly just running the roads and rivers to stay out of the deep snow.
Ya Ben I pulled most of my traps and just have my snares out now but even snaring is tough right now because they seem to be wandering to randomly to try setting anything.
Originally Posted by mtcurman
What is the quota over there?

No limit Ben but I'll probably pull my traps if I keep catching these youngsters.
Gotta leave some seed ya know.
sleeping cats eat no wabbits!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Wow,,, you've already killed three Cats in 2014?

Good work.
actually its the only 3 ive ever killed. deer hunting aint been good,but i have saw 4 cats and a couple coyotes. 35 whelen aint the best choice for cat killing,but it works. top pix was with a 257 Weatherby.
Ronnie
[Linked Image]

Rem 700 .204 32 grn Nosler BT, first one of 2014.
Thought I would share this of my retriever Jack Russell. Its nice when you dont even have to get your feet wet and cold.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by laker
Ya Ben I pulled most of my traps and just have my snares out now but even snaring is tough right now because they seem to be wandering to randomly to try setting anything.

I've only got a couple footholds out now, I pulled most of them when the first snow fell.. I'm running snares for the most part right now. But even they have to be maintained heavily when it's dumping snow every few days. Thinking I'm going to get some calcium chloride and set out some more steel with that for antifreeze what with the temperatures rising and falling so much the past few days. I'd like to see how that works. Would help a bunch I'm sure.

Charlie, definitely save some for seed. The little fellers this year will be purrfect next year..

17Hunter, love that JRT! One of my best buds has had one forever as his trapping dog. It's the toughest little thing I've ever seen. laugh She doesn't shy away from a fight!
Charlie, definitely save some for seed. The little fellers this year will be purrfect next year..

Yep,,,, since I'm the only one that hunts or traps predators on this mountain I've got no one else to blame but myself if the numbers or quality goes down.

Oh,,, and 17Hunter,,,,, that JRT pic is a classic.
numbers 56 and 57 for the season for me. Can ya guess which two were shot with the .17/204 and which two were shot with a cannon?
[Linked Image]
bottom 2 are real nice dogs, TR.
[Linked Image]
So TR what cal was the cannon? A 223.....
TR, those are some nice coyotes. What does Rick the Verminator think of you using that .17? I remember in one of those videos he was giving you a hard time for using a .204.. grin
So TR what cal was the cannon? A 223.....
you guessed it Nate. grin
What does Rick the Verminator think of you using that .17? I remember in one of those videos he was giving you a hard time for using a .204.
Rick was out early season with me and used my .17/204 on a few coyotes, and needless to say he liked it. Funny about the .204, he's got a couple of them now himself. He's coming around to the little bullets for called coyotes and cats.
#2 with "Ugly duckling" this morning.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.240 Wby,95 gr Rem Accutip at about 225 yds.
I have got a couple cats so far..22 and 25 pound toms..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
^ nice looking cats Santiam, nice spotted bellys on them
Couple coons down

Attached picture image.jpg
3 dog night

[Linked Image]
Love those reds. Wish we had more around here
Nice foxes...
Originally Posted by TRnCO
numbers 56 and 57 for the season for me.

That's freakin' impressive. What month do you usually start calling?

Travis
started Oct. 5th.
Bad ass.

I've been out twice since after deer season and called in one, and missed. Then on New Years I called in two and they winded me.

Not a good start. grin

Travis
tried to call hogs with the foxpro and a coyote came out about 125 yards.

drew blood..
[Linked Image]

30 cal 168gr amax may not be the best bullet to blow up a yote.

tracking...
[Linked Image]

into the brush. no problem � a short hike back to the truck for elbow and knee pads, heavy gloves and a fresh battery in the tactical light mounted on the rail of the 45 to lead the way.

belly crawl...
[Linked Image]

what started out on hands and knees quickly deteriorated to scooting on elbows and then belly crawling. it doesn't take much of that before you ask yourself 'what in the hell am i doing'. pretty sure i was bleeding more than the yote now, so i abandoned the search. with no means to turn around, i had to back out the same way i came in. all i ended up with was a bunch of sticks in my ass for my trouble.

but... went back in the daylight and maneuvering the hog tunnels wasn't so bad after all.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nephew got his first ever goose yesterday..I know it aint a varmint, but it was damn cold yesterday so it counts dammit smile

[Linked Image]

Of course it belongs here with the rest of gods dead critters, silly goose....
Sweet lookin' BL-22 there Don... cool The only blood I drew today, was my own with a shop hammer to the web o' the hand whilst driving a stake... whistle

Rosco, we're all for diversity! laugh Nice goose.

Cottontails and Win. 72.. My neighbor loves cottontails and is not able to hunt any more herself...

[Linked Image]
Good job and nice old rifle WCH!

They'll make a nice feed for your neighbor. That was very kind of you.
Field Grade, thanks, she is a lovely lady.. Her husband & I were good pals.. Had most of her children and some grandkids in school... She is also the last of my older friends who enjoys eating sage grouse.. That generation is about gone..
so are the sage grouse......
Sage grouse are still quite plentiful here, and from what I have seen in Montana.. Other states I don't know about.. With all the oil exploration, ravens, hawks and eagles now in the country, they are not a common as years ago..
neither are old people.
Another red. Can't buy a coyote around here although I've heard them every time out.

[Linked Image]
A beautiful fellow there.. Nice shot..
I'd rather have Reds around than Coyotes. The Coyotes have pretty well killed off most of the Fox. Great looking Fox! What load are you using?
Son in law gave me some snares for Christmas so after everything calmed down after the new year I set some of them out. Never did any trapping or snaring before but got this one on the 2nd night about 200 yards behind my house
[Linked Image]
Bigger than he looks in this phone picture, really nice cat.
Borrowed a couple Bridger #3s and set them out half mile north of my brothers dairy barn. Took a few days but got this mossy looking female.
[Linked Image]
Probably pull things out in a few days, not sure they'll bring enough to keep it up.
Nice cat.. Didn't realize Ks. had bobcats..
Sage grouse are STUPID thick in parts of Idaho, specifically the desert area south of Craters of the Moon. Lots still here around Rock Springs too, even in the well fields.

Anyhow I have not killed a single thing so far this year; my snares are empty and I have been skunked 3 times out fishing...sucks
Yea,,, Kansas has good cats.
You're lucky a Coyote didn't find him though.
They won't mess with a trapped cat but a dead cat's a real find for ol Wiley.
With todays prices most Cat trappers won't use snares.
[Linked Image]
Don, that 9422 looks like it could be related to the hornet what with that laminate stock.. smile
Question for Ben as you seem to be pretty good at this stuff...Any tricks or tips for bobcats? I have dabbled for years in trapping, but am not having much luck snaring these things. I know they don't mind tight spots, rock walls and such.

What do you do, what do you look for in a set location, how critical is it to use brush to hide the snare?

Any help would be appreciated.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Question for Ben as you seem to be pretty good at this stuff...Any tricks or tips for bobcats? I have dabbled for years in trapping, but am not having much luck snaring these things. I know they don't mind tight spots, rock walls and such.

What do you do, what do you look for in a set location, how critical is it to use brush to hide the snare?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dog Hunter, I appreciate you asking, but I am a rank amateur when it comes to cat trapping and snaring.. In my limited experience, the sets that have caught cats have been crowded in with sage, cedar boughs, etc.. They haven't seemed to mind poking their head through tight spaces. Now, my brother and I have only caught a handful of cats, I'm sure Don or FieldGrade could help you out much more than I can.

Ben
This morning when I took the dogs for their ride in the hills, I spotted Mr. Whitetail Jack sitting quietly in a hay stack..
One shot with the old .45 Colt made him into coyote bait..

[Linked Image]
A bit later on another ranch, we spotted Mr. Whitetail #2.. Used an old style BH in .357 this time.. Kate and Peach had a great time nosing the jack then looking for more..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FWIW, .22-250 is not a fur friendly wabbit wifle.... whistle

That's the clean "picture friendly" side...

[Linked Image]

And also, the snow is melting, resulting in this... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben
Ben, you my try some fmj's.. I was just thinking about using my .223 or .22-250 for the occasional cottontail.. I think in my reloading room junk, I have a stash of military fmj's somewhere if I could only find them..
Just think, this is only the beginning of mud season...!!!!!
Wyo, FMJ's would probably be alot better for rabs, but I think I'll stick with the 50 gr V-Max because that's my coyote rifle and I don't really want to shoot coyotes with FMJs.. And the hoppers were just fine. smile Most of the time I have either a .22 pistol or rifle with me, but didn't for some reason today.

And I'm not looking forward to the real mud.. This here is just surface mud from snow melt right now. I'm hoping most will melt off now and everything will dry/freeze and we'll have a dry-ish spring...but I ain't bettin' on that! laugh

Ben
Ben, I found out years ago if you are going to shoot a bunny to eat with the .22-250 and virtually any bullet, you need to aim for the tip if his nose�NOT his head, just the nose.
Seems nose shots take care of the rest of the head, and aiming any farther back starts vaporizing tender vittles.
Yep, I definitely discovered that today... grin

I headshot squirrels back in Indiana with the deuce, but squirrels are put together much tougher than wittle wabbits... Not to mention the deuce is milder than the '250.
You might have to tell me more. I want to go to AZ for some Aberts squirrels and considered the deuce, as it would double as a grey fox gun. I presume you just shoot the squirrel in the head, right?

Collateral damage?
Hornady 50 gr SP out of the deuce blows their minds, but not much else.. Just make sure of your shot placement, and you should be fine...

If I recall correctly, this one entered right in the ear on the other side, and was angling towards me...What you see was the extent of the damage. Plenty o' backstraps left there, especially if you make your shot placement better than that..

[Linked Image]

Those Alberts skwerrels are neat looking little critters..
Kinda what I figured, and it just so happens I load a Hornady 50 gr. SP�.. whistle

Thanks Ben!
Them whitetail jacks are worth more than coyote bait. About $2. a piece this year to Petska.
28# Tom stretched 42"
Not much of a belly but he's a big bastid.
[Linked Image]
Great looking cat Charlie! How many is that so far for the year?
5 smile My best year yet.
I was planning to pull em last week but I wanted to see if I could top my old record of 4.
I'll start pulling them in a couple of days now that I've reached that goal.
There's still four weeks of season left but there'sno point in getting greedy.
Nice cat and great attitude!! Best wishes..
Good job on topping your record! 5 nice cats like those make for a nice fur check.... cool
Good job on topping your record! 5 nice cats like those make for a nice fur check.... cool

Hope so,,, I've got my heart set on a new Pack Angler Canoe for me and Sally.
Well,,, providing I can learn her to row.
Hope so,,, I've got my heart set on a new Pack Angler Canoe for me and Sally.
Well,,, providing I can learn her to row.

Canoes are so much fun.. Our's is sitting at my grandparents house back in IN.. I'm hoping to get it out here this summer though. It'd be great on the Musselshell. And I'd say you can teach Sally to do 'bout anything...she is a cur after all! smile
[Linked Image]

Big Gray. 30 yds with a load of BB.

I need to figure out how to make the pictures smaller. sorry 'bout that.
Not to worry, it is easier for us older folks to see the trophy!!
Nice fox... Thanks.
Very nice Gray Bassi... cool

Your picture looks like it's the right size to me.
I was planning to pull em last week but I wanted to see if I could top my old record of 4.

Awesome. Congrats to you.

Travis
First coyote of 2014.. Kate, and .270...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by deflave

Awesome. Congrats to you.

Travis

Thanks Travis
I just turned that last Cat this afternoon.
He's got the longest belly hair I've ever seen.
To bad he isn't wider and whiter. He'd be top lot for sure if he was.
Oh well,,, that's the nature of Idaho cats.
I'll still end up with enough for that new canoe and then some so I'm happy.
[quote=WyoCoyoteHunter]First coyote of 2014.. Kate, and .270... [quote]

270,,, yikes. I'm guessing you don't save the fur.
Shame if you don't cause that's some pretty nice looking fur right there.

Good to see you getting out though.
Well done.
Field, I took the coyote to a friend who traps and wants fur.. It really wasn't torn up too bad, but they have started to rub.. So he didn't want to fool with it.. I had some other uses for some of the fur so it worked out fine..

With the wind here, a heavier bullet works best.. I love my .22 caliber varmint rifles, but years ago, I picked up a used .25-06.. My score on coyotes went up and stayed there for that fall..
So now I usually keep a .22-250 or a similar caliber in the truck and a heavier rifle.. Switched to the .25-06 this afternoon.. Haven't shot it for over a year.. We get out a bit most days.. Even if it to let the dogs play... Best of luck..
Yea,,, having lived in Douglas I figured the wind probably played a role in your choice of cartridges. Better to have to do a little sewing than stay home or wound and loose em.
To bad he's rubbed but it's that time of year isn't it?
My guy will still take Coyotes but the prominent fur buyer over here (Moscow Fur) won't take em after the first of the year.

Oh,,, BTW,,, Good shot!
nice gray bbassi!!!

Thanks Travis
I just turned that last Cat this afternoon.
He's got the longest belly hair I've ever seen.
To bad he isn't wider and whiter. He'd be top lot for sure if he was.
Oh well,,, that's the nature of Idaho cats.
I'll still end up with enough for that new canoe and then some so I'm happy.

You is a puzzy slayin' sumbitch... grin

Prime year to break your record too!

Travis

You is a puzzy slayin' sumbitch... grin

Travis

I prefer "Puzzy Whisperer" if you don't mind. cool
[Linked Image]
28# Tom stretched 42"
Not much of a belly but he's a big bastid.
[Linked Image]

Beautiful cat. Congrats.

Mart
Buddy shot this one today, 14 coyotes and 3 fox so far this winter.

[Linked Image]
numchucked him, huh?
Trying to preserve ammo, with the shortage and all. About sick of driving all over the countryside and not finding any.
Don, which rifle and caliber? M77 in .204 or .223?
My last pic? That's the 204VT in walnut. I have to get it out once in a while. I still have a 204 UL, but sold the 223 UL.
Nash got this 'yote in one his snares today... It's a toad..

[Linked Image]
Holy CRAP!
Toad's an understatement.
Did you weigh him?
that's a fatty for sure.
Nice..
SWEEEEEEEEET!

Ben and Nash getting' it done again! laugh
Thanks guys... cool

He was right at 25lbs...
Future pot-pie right here...grin

[Linked Image]
Sweeeeet!

Ive just been punching holes in paper�

But I got a couple towards the middle of the target! laugh
Testing the new .223 Ackley I presume? Hey, gotta punch paper before you can shoot fuzzy targets.... grin
Exactamundo! Its done, loads are tweaked and as soon as I get to Texas in May "The Silence of the Hams" shall begin�. grin
Got this nice little grey tonight, only the second time out this year.

[Linked Image]
cool
I wanna be like Ben when I grow up. I think I'll start by getting some cool fake ivory grips for my sixshooter. And killing a rabbit. The grips should be here the end of the week. Then I might get a browning lever 22 and a dogleg deuce. The mouser may have to wait....
hey ben, be sure to knock some of the mud off that jeep before you and mom drive to town to meet me tomorrow.
no wolf this week.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I wanna be like Ben when I grow up. I think I'll start by getting some cool fake ivory grips for my sixshooter. And killing a rabbit. The grips should be here the end of the week. Then I might get a browning lever 22 and a dogleg deuce. The mouser may have to wait....

Fake ivory grips are skookum�

[Linked Image]
They are sharp...
Yesterday we went for cottontails for my neighbors crock pot!!! Found some fat ones..

[Linked Image]
And another!

[Linked Image]
Messed up, Sorry.. Here is the second.. Twin to number one..

[Linked Image]
And another!

[Linked Image]
Sorry, my photo posting sucks..
Well me and a few buddies always do a rabbit squirrel tournament the first weekend in January. We won last year didn't do so well this year got 3rd but still had a lot of fun.

[Linked Image]
NICE!!!! laugh
Completed my second NY grand slam tonight.
Bobcat
red fox
gray fox
and tonight the first yote of the season, and my first with the 17 Remington. I can see why you guys like this caliber. cool

[Linked Image]
17 rem is the chit! Nice job
Originally Posted by ingwe
Fake ivory grips are skookum�

Yep. But they ain't bloodied yet......

[Linked Image]
At the rate you kill schitt, I'll give them one more day�. wink
The 22-243 Middlesteads, not turning out to be to fur friendly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Went up to pull my last two traps this morning and danged if I didn't have anther young Tom waiting for me.
I really wasn't planning on keeping anymore this year but since it was a Tom and releasing em scares the living chit out of me I went ahead and dispatched him.
Besides,,, these high Cat prices can't last forever.

17# stretched 32"
[Linked Image]
Hey, good luck for you.. It is surprises like this that make trapping, hunting, and fishing such fun.. Congrats..Nice cat, and of course beautiful dog..

Bad day for Prairie dogs today. Top rifle is Sako Heavy barrel 222 mag, second is Sako heavy barrel 220 Swift, third is Sako heavy barrel 243. The weather was in the 50's, hard to believe it is January in Montana...

[Linked Image]
Schitt! I got a LOT of catching up to do!
Got out today was surprised how nice it was this afternoon before the bad weather started! Started out calling coyotes on the river with no luck and seen squirrels moving so called by buddy over and told him to bring the dogs! I bet we seen over 20 squirrels. Great to get out.
[Linked Image]
Looks like a good day.. Iowa must be full of rabbits and squirrels.. Your a lucky man to have nice small game hunting at you doorstep..Thanks..
.22's????
Usually packing a 17mach2 but for some reason today a Ruger American 22lr
Well done!

I'm liking them dogs too,,, especially the butt sniffer:)
We spent 2 horribly cold and windy nights chasing predators for a local contest. The take was way down, but not nearly as bad as I expected for the conditions.

Stats -
179 Calling teams entered
9 Youth Division Teams; 170 Open Division
64% of calling teams checked-in
25% of checked-in teams brought in predators
17 coyotes brought in
57 Red Fox brought in
15 Gray Fox brough in
48.2 pounds = Heaviest Coyote

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And one for Northern Dave

[Linked Image]
I got out yesterday morning
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
and got lucky...
Great morning.. What rifle did you use??
Kimber Montana I had rebarrelled in 22-250ai, this was its first time out and it done well.
Excellent caliber.. I have shot one since about 1995!!! A real coyote killer for sure!!!!
I've used several calibers from 17 Rem to 243AI and this one seems to combine the fur friendliness of the 17 with the dead right there of the 243AI. Of course 3 coyotes isn't enough to bet the farm on.

More T&E is coming...
Good varmint hunt this weekend we won heavy dog and heavy bobcat at two contests and won second and the Calcutta at one of them. We killed 1 coyote 1 bobcat 3 grays 3 coons and 2 pigs. By the way one of my guys had a lightforce 170 with dimmer and another buddy had a 140 the light was the same except the 140 was more white light than the 170. So I ordered a magnalight with dimmer today. I'm a nightcrew wanna be.
One of me and Nash's buddies came out here for a while, and we've been having some fun up at 'dog town the past two days... It's snowing now, so 'dog shooting will likely stop for a while... frown It was fun while it lasted anyway..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even got a video today....Click the picture. Sorry, it's kind of grainy..

[Linked Image]

Ben
Good job Ben! Wish our Gofers didn't sleep all winter.

Oh,,, and tell your friend that he has good taste in hats and holsters.
[Linked Image]
A pretty fair half day, before the next front blew in. #72, 3, 4, 5, 6, and #77 for the season. Used the .17 Rem. today.

[Linked Image]
you been out by me yet?
A pretty fair half day, before the next front blew in. #72, 3, 4, 5, 6, and #77 for the season. Used the .17 Rem. today.

[Linked Image]

NICE!!! laugh
very nice TR
you been out by me yet?
that picture was just one creek west of ya, so ....yip whistle
I thought maybe so. And ya didn't even stop by afterwards.....
[Linked Image]
Very nice shooting on those coyotes..
TR,

You're a machine dude! (That's what she said)

Mini-'flave scored on his first dog today! I think I was more prouder than when he was whacking deer.
[Linked Image]

Travis
Good deal!
He's lovin' it.

Travis
NICE!

Note to self;,,,,, leave rifle in truck when mini-flaves in camp.
(No point in getting showed up by a whipper snapper.)

If he does that, just slap him. Then duck. I got this schit down.

grin

Travis
You were more prouder of him cause coyotes are more tougher to get than deers�. grin
Honestly,,, I don't mind letting the young guys do the shooting.
I don't have to pull an excuse why I missed out of my ass and I can brag that "I called it in for him".
Just ask Allen,,, I've "called in" several critters for him.

Kidding aside,,,, best post on this whole thread.
Congrats to both of you.
You were more prouder of him cause coyotes are more tougher to get than deers�. grin

You got that right. [bleep] are all fur!

Travis
Honestly,,, I don't mind letting the young guys do the shooting.
I don't have to pull an excuse why I missed out of my ass and I can brag that "I called it in for him".
Just ask Allen,,, I've "called in" several critters for him.

Kidding aside,,,, best post on this whole thread.
Congrats to both of you.

Thanks FG.

It was a morning to remember.

Travis
Mini-'flave scored on his first dog today! I think I was more prouder than when he was whacking deer.
very cool. Am I guessing right that it may have been a running shot ta boot? It looks like a dead "skid" mark in the snow below the coyote in the picture.
Great job Mini-flave! That's a nice looking pale..

'flave, what did you call it in with?
very cool. Am I guessing right that it may have been a running shot ta boot? It looks like a dead "skid" mark in the snow below the coyote in the picture.

Thanks TR.

The camera was in the door so I snapped the pic back at the truck. The skid mark is from draggin him.

We were back to back on a fence line. As I leaned back to whisper to my son I saw the head darting through the sage. Then the dog locked up. I whispered "LEFT! LEFT! LEFT!" and to mini-'flave's credit he swung the rifle and got on him quick. Dog turned and ran but kept looking back. I gave a quick bark and he froze. BANG! And that was that.

Fun morning.

Travis
Great job Mini-flave! That's a nice looking pale..

'flave, what did you call it in with?

Thanks Ben.

Bitch whimpers. We were on stand for about 15 minutes when he showed. Thank God, because I was freezing... grin

Travis
Laffin'.. Yeah, it's been pretty cold down here too... Or at least it *seems* cold after 50 degrees... grin

Nash scored on his snare line again... cool Nice pale dog. Hopefully this'un doesn't stink near as bad as his last one! laugh

[Linked Image]

Ben
Nice Coyote!

Ol Nash is a snaring sumbitch ain't he?
ain't he.......
Dat one is haired out good! They ought start rubbing soon�meanwhile you boys keep after them!
He's getting there.... grin I know one thing for sure, I'm gonna have to work to catch up with him... grin He's setting in some prime coyote country... Sign everywhere. This snow makes it nice for snaring, but not as good for dirtholes, flatsets, etc.
fake Ivories.....

[Linked Image]
TR,

You're a machine dude! (That's what she said)

[Linked Image]

Travis

Congrats Mini-Flave
fake Ivories.....

[Linked Image]

Sweet... That's a snazzy looking little hogleg.
[Linked Image]
Nice work Ben and Nash.

Travis
Been following you guys thought I'd toss this one in.

[Linked Image]Had to make sure this old girl still could hit something other than paper.
Nice!

What's the "old girl" chambered in?

Oh yea,,,, and is she for sale? wink
22h.p. Haven't had her to long so not tired of her just yet. grin
This is a super cool thread! Been watching it for quite some time. Like seeing everyone's pics and hearing the stories. Some of you fellas really put the hurt on the critters. Carry on!
[Linked Image]
It's tough to say which is better looking. But I'd say dad by a hair.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Brings back Havre memories for me Flave!

I was poor when I lived there and we used to eat those big bastids.

They are not good.

I gotta go with Mini Flave by a hare.
Brings back Havre memories for me Flave!

I was poor when I lived there and we used to eat those big bastids.

They are not good.

You're supposed to cook them first.

Travis
I gotta go with Mini Flave by a hare.

Good one... grin

Travis
I gotta go with mini-flave too. That boy is getting it done! laugh
That boy is getting it done! laugh

Agreed^^^ especially considering Travis glommed onto the better rifle:)

I used to have the blued version of that model (Delux something or the other IIRC). Only one of the three I owned that didn't need some tweeking out of the box. Best looking stock they've made to date too.

I think the SS version was a special run for Wall Mart?
Longer barrel too IIRC. Shoulda bought one.....
Are those Jacks or Snowshoes in the photos from Havre?
white-tailed jackass raggits
Howled up 5 this morning, they came in all at once through the brush. I fired a warning shot then called em back in for a second pass with some squeals. Got a bullet into 2 of them but this was the only one found. It wasn't pretty...
[Linked Image]
Where was the AR?......
Good work, What caliber??? Calling is a tough proposition in this country..
The AR is for summer carry but I was wishing for it today.

22-250ai. I need to start carrying a shotgun too.
think semi-auto with the plug out. hint.....
Originally Posted by TWR
The AR is for summer carry

It was almost nice enuff today to be summer. 44 degrees out, so I decided to take the AR to check fence this afternoon....

[Linked Image]

One mangy bastid.....
Dam,,,, that was a mercy killing wasn't it?
M1 Benelli w/ 2 round magazine extension dusted off and ready to go...
Nice dogs hunts and TWR.

No calling for me this weekend but I'll try again next weekend. Put a 10X on the .17 last night and she's zeroed and ready...

Travis
My wife wanted to try some fresh pork recipes... So we were off to Texas last week.. First one fell to the .270 140 grain Serria HPBT.. A .30-30 would have worked as well...

[Linked Image]
Second one took an 85 grain Sierra HPBT from the .243 in the ear... She had her fresh pork.. I figure it cost about $10/pound, but it sure was fun...

[Linked Image]
$10 a pound field dress, carcass weight or retail product basis?

either way the fun has a lot of value too.
cowpoke, just took a guess.. Neither was very large.. the black one was 125#'s dressed the spotted one was 80... Most expensive pork I ever got, but by far the most fun.. Will probably go again next winter..
WyoCoyoteHunter,

I was being tongue-in-cheek with my question. I got a chuckle out of your comment about the cost per pound for the pork.

I appreciate you sharing your successful pig hunt on the forum here.
Heading to Tejas in May for some-o-dat!
found a little more action today. Only 1 had early stages of mange, the other 3 got a ride home. Going to see the fur buyer tomorrow.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Man I love those pale looking coyotes you fellas have out west!
Very nice looking coyotes TR! cool
Going to see the fur buyer tomorrow.

Should be a good payday.
Coyotes were on fire at the CO auction Friday.
were you out for the sale, Charlie?
No Don, I was keeping up with it over on Tman.com.
Coyotes went last so for some reason there was a bidding flurry. They went for 70-80. Cats didn't fair near as good:(
Funny how Coyote prices are "on fire" when they finally get above 1970's prices? crazy

I'll probably go to the Fallon auction. It's a long drive for six narrow bellied ID cats and one greasy Coon but gas prices are down and I'll get to visit with some of my old friends I haven't seen in years.
Might even dust off the ol 17Rem and do some Coyote hunting.
TR, nice bag of coyotes.. Ours have started down hill as far as fur..
[Linked Image]
Pretty snazzy shootin' iron you've got there Don... cool

Charlie, good luck if'n you go calling and hope you get enough from your hides for that canoe.. We saw 6 coyotes on our run to Billings today.. For once, no rifle in the truck(inexcusable). They're up and moving, Nash and I are planning our mode of attack for tomorrow morning.. grin
This just in from IN, my friend back there got this marauding ditch panther the other day.. Looks like it could be big enough to tangle with one o' them big, bad gophers like Don's got down in Colorado.... grin

[Linked Image]

Ben
had time to get a few stands in this morning before it got flat out MUDDY....all the action I had happened on one stand and I managed to make the best of it. 3 up, 3 down.....
[Linked Image]
Does Colorado have any left?

Travis
oh yeah, I saw 3 others that I bumped while I was walking trying to get around these three howlers.....so there's enough for seed any ways...
This just in from IN, my friend back there got this marauding ditch panther the other day.. Looks like it could be big enough to tangle with one o' them big, bad gophers like Don's got down in Colorado.... grin

[Linked Image]

Ben

Last time i seen that kid he was dueling banjo's with some guy in a canoe whistle

[Linked Image]
Bacon!
Dad got to shoot this one today.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Man, that's some wide open country.
What do you do,,, lay down behind a cow chip to make a stand.
I hope it's safe to say that, that coyote didn't sneak up on ya. If it weren't for the mtn. in the back ground, that country looks pretty feature less..
Man, that's some wide open country.
What do you do,,, lay down behind a cow chip to make a stand.

DON'T move! grin

Travis
I hope it's safe to say that, that coyote didn't sneak up on ya.

He popped out of the CRP on the opposite side of the field. I was whimpering like a bitch, and he just sat, and stared. I'd bark, he'd bark and howl. I whimpered some more, he'd bark a couple times. I challenge howled, he howled back. Finally he had enough and started circling downwind to come in for some action. He was just about in our scent cone and I barked twice. He froze, then died.

Travis
died a frozen death?
Somethin' like that.

Travis

DON'T move! grin

No chit.
Nice looking Coyote regardless of where or if you hide.
Well done.
Thanks FG!

Travis
Nice yote 'flave.. cool You likin' that scope better'n the 6x42?
Thanks buddy!

I will never say anything bad about the 6X42's, but that dog sure looked easy to hit when viewed through the 9X... grin

Travis
Nice coyote! .17 I assume?
Thanks man.

22-250. Wind is a little much out on those flats. The 75gr. A-Max helps with it.

Travis
Ah! The old .22-250 one of my favorites.. Good job.

[Linked Image]

Ben

Finding a feral cat is about the greatest thing that can happen when roaming with a rifle.

Travis
True that. Only thing better is to jump one when out bird or rabbit hunting and just happen to have high brass number sixes in the full choke barrel.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
True that. Only thing better is to jump one when out bird or rabbit hunting and just happen to have high brass number sixes in the full choke barrel.

Now you're talkin'...

Travis
And if it's wearin' a collar, hit it twice. Don't want that [bleep] tellin' stories.

Travis
Phouck no. I been know to shoot 'em off porches.
Finding a feral cat is about the greatest thing that can happen when roaming with a rifle.

Travis

Very true..... grin
It's about 74 degrees here, I am thinking of a PD shoot soon, anyone interested?
I'm down.

Travis
And if it's wearin' a collar, hit it twice. Don't want that [bleep] tellin' stories.

Travis

No need to hide the evidence. Putting down an animal that's to dumb to learn it's own name is an act of kindness and should be applauded by a civilized society.
Here ! Here!

Or is it Hear! Hear!?

Either way...

Travis
It's here, hear.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
It's about 74 degrees here, I am thinking of a PD shoot soon, anyone interested?

When and where? Provided the roads dry up some, we'll be there.

Warm out here in Wisconsin today.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looked like it's gonna be a nice day this morning. And I was just about to get on the road and get to work. Then I heard some barking a couple hill tops away and I had my new rodent squeaker handy so I grabbed a deer rifle and my LRF and headed up a hill to some trees for cover. I started squeaking and waited some. Then my yote popped over the hill.

[Linked Image]

177yrds, 7-08AI, 150NBT

[Linked Image]

The blow out exit

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Some fine photos there.. Love crow shooting especially with a rifle.. What calibers are those?????
Thanks !

Cooper is a 17 HMR.
Rem is a 17-204.
Those are some dandy lookin' foxes... cool
found a little more action this morning.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks Ben !

Sold 6 Reds skinned and fleshed to a traveling fur buyer for $250.00 .
Originally Posted by shotgun4fur

[Linked Image]

That's not a shotgun. Well done regardless.

Travis
Those crow pictures are [bleep]' awesome.

Travis
Somedays the shotgun gets a break .

Figured you would like the crow splats ! grin

Thanks
Originally Posted by shotgun4fur

Thanks Ben !

Sold 6 Reds skinned and fleshed to a traveling fur buyer for $250.00 .

Wow, that's not bad. I wasn't aware that fur prices were that good anymore. How cool!
My top yote was $40 and the average was $22.50 out of 6 yotes, pretty good for Easterns....
Didn't kill anything, only saw one and that was from the truck. But was fun nonetheless, blasted some rocks at least.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Love this thread.....

Looks like fun BGG, better than the nearly thigh deep snow you have to wade through around here....
Cool pics BGG... Looks like our country, just with no trees.. grin

Had this little 'yote waiting in a snare today.. We were pulling our traps, good thing too, because they're rubbing pretty bad around here. Still, I'm glad to get this one.. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben
he'll be a juicy one......
Yeah, I'm hoping it won't be too bad.. Waterheads ain't no fun...
Love the splater of crow on snow shotgun4fur cool

Ol'shrapnel has got some awesome crow 'pics' also.....
Nice job, Ben !

Thanks boomwack...
Thanks Tim... cool
I'm starting to see a gopher out here and there! Snow gophs were put in small numbers today but with an insane cold snap coming this weekend, they won't be out long.
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
I'm starting to see a gopher out here and there! Snow gophs were put in small numbers today but with an insane cold snap coming this weekend, they won't be out long.

If you want me to come down and shoot with you, just say so. No need to beat around the bush.

(That's what she said)

Travis
Another one dies. Probably my last stand for the season.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Good job!
Excellent!! >22-250???
Thanks FG! -20, little bit of bark, and a little bit of whimper got him around the 15 minute mark.

Travis
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Excellent!! >22-250???

.17 Rem. She needed blood.

Travis
One of these days we need to kill something. Gramps has the ranch up for sale but I told him he has to write up exclusive gopher shooting rights in the contract for us if it sells.
I'm down for gophers...

Travis
Thanks FG! -20, little bit of bark, and a little bit of whimper got him around the 15 minute mark.

Travis

Nice,,,,, Don't care for the -20 part though. Brrrr

I start whimpering myself when the temp goes below 0 or above 100.

Witch I feel is pretty flexible on my part when you think about it.
I thought my vagina was gonna freeze to the ground.

Travis
Target of Opportunity; my rifle, but my buddy did the shooting.

[Linked Image]
I love it when I find German Shepherds in the woods.

What's the rifle chambered in?

Travis
Haha

It's a 6.5x47 Lapua, the 123 Scenar didn't do him any favors
Poor fido.

Nice rifle. I'd be bogartin' that sumbitch as well if I were your friend.

Travis
Poor fido.

Nice rifle. I'd be bogartin' that sumbitch as well if I were your friend.

Travis

Thanks
Finally made it out, first time this year. It's been so freaking cold here I didn't have any desire to lie out in the snow. It warmed up to 50, was cloudy, and the rancher said I was the first one there this year. A total muddy mess but that wasn't going to stop me.

It was a great day, the 222 mag Vixen, (way prettier than any .17) was still dead on and I hadn't forgotten how to dope the wind.

Seemed the dogs weren't fully awake and I was able to get more shooting at each setup.

[Linked Image]

My first double for 2014

[Linked Image]
That's a great looking Sako Boise... cool
Nice shooting and gorgeous Sako Boise.

Travis
you been hanging 'round shrapnel too long.....
They are pretty wicked rigs...

Travis
You can't just turtle over like that, where's the fun in that. It's Euro trash and shoots one of those enormous 22 cal bullets.

Is Sharpnel holding you hostage or did winning the best looking 17 go to your head?
The bike lived
[Linked Image]
It was its maiden voyage btw, worked really well. Faster and quieter than walking.
how fast were ya peddlin' when ya hit him? Maybe going down hill, so ya had enough forward momentum to kill him clean or did ya have to waste a bullet to finish him off? shocked
He was too fast for the bike but not for the bullet. smile

Checking out Koko's suggestion and it worked!
Here is my son's fur for this season, we are taking it to the buyer tomorrow after school. He already has plans for the money, he's looking at gps collars for his OMC that we got from rdfirenut. The pup didn't help with this years fur but I'm sure she will have a part in next years![Linked Image]
Finally something to add to dead critters!
Thats a Number 1-S in .38-55 that was loaned to me by 7x57Steve..
[Linked Image]
That's a big dog!

Travis
The aporkalypse is going well, I take it? grin
The " Silence of the Hams" has begun�

The sequel will be in Texas in May.

This was just a 'practice' pig�.

Mmmmmmm bacon....
[Linked Image]
My son has been putting his 17 mach 2 to good use. I built this one a few years ago out of a pawn shop .22 and a redmans .17 barrel liner, if I had know how well it was going to shoot I might have used a better rifle!
Good job wc.

FWIW I saw a bunch of Hornady 17M2 ammo at Sportsmans Whorehouse the other day.

$7-8 bucks?
I didn't pay any attention since I don't own a M2.
It was the SW in Lewiston if you're looking for some.

I figgered it were.
I haven't stopped by lately.
Thanks.
Gay-Mart had it too, across the river.
His mach 2 likes the CCI but in this day and time you've got to take what you can get! I didn't see any at our Sportsmans the other day but I'll keep checking, thanks for the headsup FG.
This silly [bleep] thought he could walk in front of my Toyota and live to tell about it.
[Linked Image]

Travis
The first goph of the season! laugh

For the last six years running Ive gotten my first of the year WITH the truck! grin
There was one smashed on Highway 2. Such a waste.

Travis
Theres an errant rumor running around the Hi-line about a couple interlopers from parts south cruising Hwy 2 and hanging out the window doing 'drive-bus' with a .38 loaded with snake shot in years past�

I wouldn't know anything about it�I was just told these things�. whistle
Made it up north last weekend for a little hunting. Got this female with a chunk bitten off her ear.
[Linked Image]
Well done!
She definitely looks like she's seen better days.

Dead gophers in 2014 "Old News"

They have been on top of the snow for a couple weeks now and I have been killing them any way possible...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You can't fool me, that second pic is old. The truck kill is skookum though�.

Face plant...

[Linked Image]
I'm lovin' it!
Well done!

She was probably in the wheelhouse of a wolf pack. They are very hard on the coyotes.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Well done!

She was probably in the wheelhouse of a wolf pack. They are very hard on the coyotes.

Maybe. My place is in the Crivitz area. I have seen some wolves there over the years but not many. I did call one in while turkey hunting a few years ago.
Good to see the gophs are up and about. The prairie dogs have been up off and on all winter here. Depended how much snow was drifted over their burrows. I'm thinking I need to wander up to the 'dog town before too long and see how they're liking this warm weather... Might take a rifle or three along.
My son blasted a porcupine today while we were looking for sheds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [/quote]
Nice work by the BGG's!

Travis
That porkapine was WAY the hell lost look'n at the surrounding country side anyway... grin

They are surprisingly solid built creatures, what caliber made that type of splatter o' porkapine??
Thanks Dave!

boomwhack, there is a surprising amount of pokies up here on the prairie, big buggers too.

The rifles a 700 sps Youth, in .243. Plunked him with one 87 gr vmax, tail did the helicopter and he didn't fall. Just died right there in place. So then I handed him my AR, and a half dozen 55 gr Hornady softpoints gave the desired splatter. He shot one in damn near the exact same place last year with wadcutters out of a S&W mod 60.

[Linked Image]
Advice from the experienced:

Do NOT shoot a porcupine at close range with a shotgun. You will find out that they really can "throw" their quills.

Picking them up when they are alive takes care also...

[Linked Image]
My son's 17m2 strikes again. If you are a crow or starling it's not safe to land behind our house.
[Linked Image]
Couple videos from my ground squirrel hunt in Alturas, CA earlier this week.

First, some carnage from my 223
[Linked Image]

Second, my middle son (6), firing a centerfire for the first time
[Linked Image]
Darren, nice to see your boy out there.
I"ll be up there next week.....
Couple extra pics of the hunt

Bodyless victim
[Linked Image]

Overlooking the field
[Linked Image]
Great to see young shooters, and varmints being shot..
couple of crows to add to the show
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What caused their demise?????
Yes. They seem to be in awfully good shape�..
Shotgun,3" magnum
Ronnie
Good medicine...
I miss crow killin'.

Good work.

Travis
Yards been full of them for the last week, they seem to love the rabbit in distress on the foxpro,sick [bleep]!
Ronnie
Yards been full of them for the last week, they seem to love the rabbit in distress on the foxpro,sick [bleep]!
Ronnie
[Linked Image]

Shot this one the other day. First of the year. Today I walked around the place and shot 8 or 10 more gophers in the yard and a couple starlings.

Had to chew some ass today too. My grandparents sold 20 acres across the pasture to some people and they built a house on it. One of their kids is my youngest brothers age and we did some duck hunting together this last season. Well today he was out in his pickup in front of their house with some of his buddies shooting gophers. My grandparents live less then 1/4 mile to the south, there is a house and highway about 1/4 mile to the east and a house about 1/2 mile northwest of his parents. I couldn't figure out which way he was shootin and he was unloading his 10/22 frequently. I went back and got my spotting scope just in time to see him shoot out the window right towards our house, barn, and horses. I hauled ass across the pasture on the 4 wheeler and asked him what the hell he was doin.

Told him I just watched him shoot right towards us and could hear bullets ricocheting previously. He told me he didn't know he was shooting towards the barn and house. I asked how the hell he didn't see the barn, house, tractor, and vehicles through his scope. The grass in the pasture isn't even 3" high so nothing was obstructing his view. I was ready to rip his head off with him trying to play dumb. Told him if he was going to keep shooting gophers he needed to use a shotgun since there is no safe direction to possibly shoot a 22 without hitting a house or towards a road. Realized he was shooting right towards me across the pasture while I was working on the driveway the other day too. Stupid idiot.
Ahh, the joys of subdivisions!

Seriously though, that sucks.
Good stuff Darren!!!
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Ahh, the joys of subdivisions!

Seriously though, that sucks.

It's not even subdivision though. We live 6 miles out of town and my grandparents bought 220 acres and sold two different 20 acres chunks to pay off some of the place. This kid is just an all around idiot and has no sense. He just flat out didn't care which way he was shootin. The other two kids in the truck wouldn't even look at me so obviously they knew they were in the wrong. At one point he was about 100 yards in front of his parents house shooting right towards it!
I'd be all over the parents like flies on chit then.
Deer Tracker, stay on their asses. You might save someones life.
I have had 4 different occasions that people were shooting right at me and the boys, and we live over 20 miles to the nearest neighbor to the west. We got a dogtown that the public road runs thru and they stop and shoot right down the road. Kinda nerve wracking to go driving thru there sometimes. The two that I talked with were semi local ranchers, they both asked where the hell I came from, to which I could only reply, "I live here, and drive thru here about every day!" The others didn't stop to talk when I got there. I'm sure all of them are OK guys, just not thinking. Anybody can be stupid for a minute, and even old men need their asses chewed sometimes. Good on you!
I would certainly get after 'em.

Unfortunately, things like that are a byproduct of subdividing a place. Next are broken beer bottles and used condoms strewn about the now rutted up field from a party. Ahh' kids. wink
We are headed home from a short trip, how IS the gopher shooting going???????
We just got schat on with more snow. Not gonna be a real fun weekend...

Travis
Bummer, I hoped spring was on its way to the NW and Wyoming....

The squirrels were up and running around this past week.
It was partly to mostly sunny in between a few snow showers each day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some fields got a little a bit more snow overnight than others.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

4 Days in Cedarville and 3 days in Alturas.

[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/a...Varmint/2-29-14077_zps5b71da3f.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/a...Varmint/2-29-14070_zps1ff22d0d.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/a...Varmint/2-29-14074_zpsf7c5bc7b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/a...Varmint/2-29-14095_zpsbc50cc6f.jpg[/img]

Just way too much fun !

[Linked Image]

This thread is strictly about carnage. please refrain from gun porn unless there is a dead critter to dress it up. thanks....grin
Yeah, seriously�thats the kind of thing Shrapnel would post, only with luxurious wood stocks and other appointments�..

I gotta go shoot something...
especially mowsers and savages.

Kidding of course..

mostly
[Linked Image]
First one of the year, kind of a late start.

[Linked Image]
Feathers and goo in an 8ft circle smile 75gr Amax is gooood medicine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
elkchaser, What kind of .22 is that.. Very different..
That is an old Vickers built on a Martini action. Ugly as sin but it shoots well.
Don't believe I ever saw one of those.. Thanks..
Went up to the ranch to pull my boat out of the barn and shot a bunch of gophers while I was there. The ground is still pretty wet down in the bottoms and they were really out in force up on the side hills and tops. Shot some with my glock 17 and 77/17 mach 2. Forgot to bring the 17 hornet along.

Gophers were out on the snow. making it the perfect day in the field, trying to eradicate the gophers on local ranches. They were losers all they way around...

[Linked Image]

Gophers were out on the snow. making it the perfect day in the field, trying to eradicate the gophers on local ranches. They were losers all they way around...

[Linked Image]

.222 Magnum?

How did you know? I did whack a few with the 22-250 Sako Deluxe I got in Kalispell last weekend. It is a real shooter also, this is a less fortunate gopher at the pointy end of a 50 grain V-max at about 3600 FPS...

[Linked Image]
Excellent... grin

Also, if you want some bare, dry dirt to shoot stuff on, let me know...
We are going to make that happen, soon I hope...
[Linked Image]

whistle

The Sako drew blood today....
Excellent!!!!

I went up and scouted our GS's last week but they're still sleeping.
Snow's melting though so it won't be long. smile
It was mid-70s here today.... Ain't much snow left... smile

I'm a big fan of dry dirt come this time of year... grin

Ben

Goin' airborne...

[Linked Image]

The Sako drew blood today....

I'd say so...

Travis
Houston we have lift off.
[Linked Image]

Nash plunked this one with his .45 this morning....

Ben
Good shooting Nash!

I guarantee you that would be the safest Gofer in Montany if I was shooting at it with a handgun.
[Linked Image]
My favorite type of crow and bonus style points.
not a crow. some kind of blackbird/starling maybe...
[Linked Image]
You still have a lot of snow.

Travis
We haven't had any snow all winter. Had more last week and this 2 inches last night, than the whole resta the year....
Slim pickins but they're out.

[Linked Image]

Good job Don and Charlie....

Charlie, the 'dogs are a little "more safer" when I'm the one with the peestol.... grin
[Linked Image]
Hunts! That's some good eatin! Hope you slayed a mess of em.

DMc
Missed a couple others....
The black feathered critter is a grackle Hunt. Slew many of em as a lad with one of the 100 or so Crosman air rifles I wore out. Had an old setter bitch that would sneek up and catch them when they would flush, she was lightning fast and they have a long tail!
Seeing the light of day....

[Linked Image]

Courteous of a 40 grain V Max.... and a 223

[Linked Image]

musta accidentally stepped on a Claymoor...

My one and only Ruger. Wife bought this for me a little after we started dating. Close to 20 years ago. Added a new Vortex scope and dialed it in on a board pile when this fella popped out of the pile a few minutes later.

[Linked Image]
Took a buddy out doggin'. He's happy that he got a couple....

A big thumbs up!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ENORMOUS dogs there, or maybe the gnome isn't very big and that's a tiny rifle.

Nice job, always enjoy the humor.
He swears by a controlled round feed rifle for dangerous game. Caliber is 17mhII out of a fast twist. Barrel cut and crowned at 6 inches...
Pretty darn funny tho....

Is that Big Stick with a New Hat?
Don, once again you're the champion guide Dog hunter! Muchos Gracias for posting!

DMc
[Linked Image]
Interesting how Gnome's scope is a miniature version of your own?

DMc
Yeah....he likes the 17machII, also. His only holds 1 in the
spout and 1 down.
Finally got out west to shoot these gophers everyone is always talking about and holyschit that is fun. Went through over 400 17hmr rounds on them. I can see how a guy could shoot a barrel out on a centerfire in a weekend shooting them things. We drove around all afternoon in the rhino shooting the schit outta them.
[Linked Image]
Me with my first gopher

[Linked Image]
The fianc� 20 days from calving out and is still out there killing them with us.
wish I had a heifer to shoot gofers with.....
Find yourself one of those high headed heifers and your good to go
out roughing it with those trendy Hiking Flip Flops!!

That's a tough gal...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
wish I had a heifer to shoot gofers with.....

Holy Balls...I'm dying....
Glad you got out.
Nice pics.
laker,

When am I invited?

Travis
Got another woodchuck down by the driveway that's fixing to bust a litter.

It'll bring back fond memories of last year when I went gonzo on the kids:
[Linked Image]

note the umbilical cord still withering on the lower one.

even had to go tactical on one.

[Linked Image]
That's just wrong.
You're not making fun of my left handed rifle again, are you?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
just killed this ol ugly yote about 2 hours ago on the farm near me. savage model 12 22-250 [Linked Image]
Nice work Scott, the new .44 with coon???
When I look again, I guess not.. Still good going..
That's my Taurus 431 .44 Special with the coon. He'd been coming around for a couple days and acting very strange. I literally had to shake the bird feeder he was sleeping in to get him to wake up, jump down and mosey away. He just didn't seem right, so he got XTP'd.

Mama had tried to shoot him a couple days before with her SP101 snubbie, but only managed to perforate a bird feeder and kill a tree. grin
Ah, the .44 spl.. even though most of my .44's are mag.s I usually use the 44 spl. brass in them and special loads..

Best to take no chances with animals that could be sick.. Or become to tame.. Good shooting..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bad day for the gophers. Took the new to me 17 Remington out and blasted gophers with it. Of course the barrel fouled out in 15 rounds, but I kept on shooting and the gophers kept getting hit, somehow...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice 3rd model Woodsman Sport Don!

DMc
A Huntsman......

22's are for wimps, you need big guns to kill gophers. Besides that, it is cheaper to shoot a 45-60 than a 22...

[Linked Image]
I didn't buy my 22 ammo from you.......
I don't buy it from me either...
You posed that road kill gopher!
Awesome gopher gun there Schrapnel...
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
You posed that road kill gopher!

I kilt it on the way to watch a Lacrosse game, not enough time for shootin'

Plenty other guns along for the shoot...

[Linked Image]
^ marks the dead doggie.....

[Linked Image]
IMG_5386^ by mtcurman

I was sitting against the cement pond when the 50 gr. V-Max levitated him....

[Linked Image]
IMG_5387 by mtcurman

Ben

This is a dead gopher thanks to a Japanese 8mm Nambu...

[Linked Image]
Using my comp gun with pointed 140 hybrids on a gopher at 20 yards felt like overkill, but I couldn't resist - grin

[Linked Image]
Found what I camd for a little while later:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope I can get out a lot this year!
Good job Carl.

That's my favorite vermin.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Too many plump racoons on our place!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Ben,

You using your Swift on those PD's?

Travis
You shoot all those coons in one day?

Travis
2 different days Travis. I might need you to bring your Ricky-Ticky down here to help with the culling.
Oh man. That'd be great. I killed the snot out of raccoons growing up.

Travis

That picture looks like a Sako 222 Remington Magnum, the most killingest varmint round on the planet, am I right???

[Linked Image]
Ben,

Travis

Nope, .22-250.... I don't have a Swift yet. grin
Yes sir, a pre-garcia Bofors 222 mag....one of my favorite rifles.

Absolutely, I have 4 myself...

[Linked Image]
I never get tired of seeing pics of your rifles! You have an awesome and enviable collection....sorta like the "Kirk Diggler" of Sako porn around here. smile
Ben,

Travis

Nope, .22-250.... I don't have a Swift yet. grin

Is that the Sako you bought last year or so?

Travis
Is that the Sako you bought last year or so?

Travis

Yep. It's become my "go to" rifle. I'm likin' it a lot..
Sakos do that to you, then they shoot great on top of that...
Sakos do that to you, then they shoot great on top of that...

Yeah, I hope to be shooting as good as my Sako before too long... smile
[Linked Image]

Grandson with his first porcupine...

[Linked Image]
That hat is killer.

Travis
[Linked Image]

Grandson with his first porcupine...

[Linked Image]

That is awesome. Sweet beaver hat too!
I shot a lot of nice coyotes this past winter, but these two, which came in as a triple, were the dandys' of the season.
[Linked Image]
Flying beavers attacking my porch. Have Red Ryder'd 6 this morning and transitioned on close ones 7 times w my BUBR (Back-Up Badminton Racquet). The bare dirt kill was DRT, the clover one required a finisher from the (.5)77 Crumpler! grin

The racquet is actually a more satisfactory experience. You get a meat report and cloud of white mist from the pollen. Kinda like hitting a fat PD at 100 yards with a .22/250!

Good news is spring Squirrel opened yesterday and runs til June 8. You can eat carpenter bees but it's too dang hot & humid to get a big mess for the pot. whistle
[img:left]http://[Linked Image][/img]

[img:left]http://[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/elrata/media/imagejpg2_zpsd48e6830.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL[/img]
dat bottom one is a booner, fer sure.....
Ran the body count with the Daisy up to 13 this afternoon after Momma Day Festivities. Actually pretty fun time.
[Linked Image]

That wood pile is a bunny hotel, all right.
But wait.....There's more....

Got a passel o' dudes thru monday, then I'll hit it again.
.25-35 and defunct gopher! [Linked Image]
My second best shot on a jack with a handgun.. 250 gr. XTP from a .45 Colt powered by 7.1 gr. of Red Dot.. I missed a couple shots closer and finally connected at about 170 long steps.. Mr. Rabbit's unlucky day..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Is that a deuce or .223 AI?

Looks like fun was had by all but the piggies!
Its a .223AI Ben�but frankly I wished I had the deuce with me!

Yeah, the piggies weren't liking Aporkalypse: The Silence of the Hams�.. grin
Excellent..

Did you try eating any javelina? I've heard it's different than your "standard" feral hog...
No�but I saved all the meat�Im gonna try�.. eek
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Yeah, the piggies weren't liking Aporkalypse: The Silence of the Hams�.. grin

laugh Love it!

Sure hope to hunt pigs some day.

Great pics Don! Way to keep the thread alive!

DMc
Ingwe,

Javalinas. One word: Tamalies!

DMc
[Linked Image]
I wouldn't want to be a bunny on your place Don.... grin
Model 28:
[Linked Image]
5" .44

[Linked Image]
My hunting pals:

[Linked Image]
Neighbor lady called @ 0720 hours while I was ironing britches for work, sez there's a lethargic rackety coon chile been hanging around her patio and garage all night. It's now walking in super slow mo near the front porch...could I render it null?

Yes'm! 10/22 Tacsol bbl, CCI Subsonics and AAC Aviator to the rescue. Two to the chest did trick after I verified the zombie stare of the rabid. Wanted to save the brain for testing, then learned they don't test all, just the ones that've bit human or domestic critters.

Neighbor lady is MTSU professor,, so gently suggested I could rig her a 10/22 as mentioned in bedside gun thread that'd let her handle such problems easily around her 5-acre spread. She's pretty amenable to 2nd Amendment after realizing her Shih Tzu were in mortal peril this a.m.

Got me a convert from the Groves of Academe!

[img:left]http://[Linked Image][/img]
mebbe you should work a trade? Have the lovely perfessor iron your britches from now on, for pest eradication? win/win.....
The spousal unit would cry Foul ! No supporter of Tit for Tat, she!
[Linked Image]

half the man he was the day before...but will coyote or seagull poop tomorrow...

[Linked Image]

ever felt like you exploded after a bowl of chili?

[Linked Image]

Feel like you just don't have it all together any more?

Brought to you by the following sponsors:

Nosler 40 grain Tipped Varmaggeddon Bullets

14 grains of Blue Dot Powder

Winchester Small Rifle Primers

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 223

Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
The spousal unit would cry Foul ! No supporter of Tit for Tat, she!

it appears she IS a supporter of making you do the ironing. You cook and clean, too?
I kill and grill, she does the rest, H22. Been ironing my stuff since before Basic Training in '77. Nobody does it better. cool
I kill, too. Nobody does it better......

screw housework, cooking and ironing.grin

[Linked Image]
Had a beautiful day today and the gophers were out in force along the driveway and in the yard. Grabbed the 17 hornet and let her eat!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Saw this one out in the front yard. Got a steady rest on the split fail fence and all I could see was her head. Can ya tell?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shot a few more including one that split in three pieces, 10 feet in the air and a good size chunk flew 20 yards to the north of the hole and landed on top of the wood pile!
Like the results of that 17 Hornet!
My old gophers spots are still not what they once were.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Deflave, your daughter will not let you shoot the pink .22??? Nice old Browning..
She let me shoot it. Twice.. grin

Travis

We were testing some guns for the Prairie Dog invitational today. I even shot some gophers with the 17 Remington before it fouled shut. Ours were working well, how about yours???

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nash and I are warming up for the big shoot... We hit the local pup population this afternoon.. The Mauser was bloodied for the first time this year, and the .22-250 Sako excelled at flipping them, as usual.

[Linked Image]
killin grounds by mtcurman

Nash's Pietta .22 and Cimarron .45 got some action too....

[Linked Image]
IMG_6107 by mtcurman

[Linked Image]
IMG_6106 by mtcurman

Ben

Waged war on the gophs in the yard and driveway again this afternoon with the hornet again

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/cole_smith/04b60fb9886541531f207155eecf7171_zpsd9beae06.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/cole_smith/7855070907e2fd3b2817239b0766e978_zps9fa8df65.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/cole_smith/89a33bb567feb61aba79bb3dd4ea3aab_zps6d800952.jpg[/img]
Ok, so I like the fraction of rodent hanging off the bob wire! Got an more most awesome pix?
Ronnie
Yep! Lovin the "VC in the wire" shot! laugh
I'm in Louisiana saltwater fishing till the 11th. I'll be back defending the yard then. I'll be sure to post more pix
You suck.
Yes he does....
But if he should happen to get homesick for some 17 Hornet carnage, maybe these pics will tide him over till his safe return....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And this, from this mornin'...

[Linked Image]
Problem chuck from a few days ago with my 1899B. One of my favorite guns to shoot.
[Linked Image]
No fish were harmed today. Took a wrong turn through a cut and spent a hour slowly putting a 21gt fiberglass bay boat through 1.5-2' of water and mud. Finally made it back to deep water where we wanted to go and not 2 minutes later, spun the hub in the prop and got to sit in the 92 degree heat and 100% humidity until the sheriffs dept boat came along and towed us back to the boat launch. Got the boat fixed and going to hit the jetties and intercostal ship channel tomorrow morning for speckled trout, redfish, and flounder, and whatever else we can catch! Give me another couple days in this heat and humidity and my trigger finger will be itching again. Might go down to the famil's pond and shoot some snakes and turtles though!
Ain't this heat and humidity nice! Live and worked in the south all my life and still hate it! Was in Corpus Christi a few days ago,hot and humid, kinda like the last 50 summers!
Ronnie
We've had a new family move in and there seems to be several of them. Kinda cheeky bunch...they kept whistling at me when I introduced myself to one of the young ones this morning.

[Linked Image]
Nice beaver.

Travis
Yes he does....
But if he should happen to get homesick for some 17 Hornet carnage, maybe these pics will tide him over till his safe return....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man that's a purty rifle!
Plunked some pups for a while this afternoon... Fun was had by all except the dogs.... cool

[Linked Image]IMG_6176 by mtcurman
Warmin' up for the big shoot?

Travis
Just hit the killing fields myself today. It was a .17HMR day, and I was gonna take a couple kill pics for this thread but they were just plain too nasty sick

Anyway, theres a little line of gophs ascending to Gopher Heaven tonight grin
Warmin' up for the big shoot?

Travis

You betcha.. cool

Ingwe, they must have been REALLY nasty if they were too nasty for this thread! grin
They were! I am one of those that usually like a pretty clean pic�there were none to be had today�.. sick

Had a good shoot though, a bit of equipment, homes etc relatively close by so we stuck to .17HMRs to keep the noise and ricochets at a minimum. Landowner was likin' that ��.
They were! I am one of those that usually like a pretty clean pic�there were none to be had today�.. sick

I agree for the most part... A little gore goes a long way in pictures... But the ones that end up clean are the ones that were the least fun to shoot! grin

Glad you had a good time. What kind of HMR were you shooting?
Ruger 77/17 ( older pic)
[Linked Image]

Really nice shooter, had a ball with it today!
Since I can't seem to get invited to the big shoot, I guess I'll have to stay to home and practice till I get good enuff to suit shrap and the other stuffed shirts....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Since I can't seem to get invited to the big shoot, I guess I'll have to stay to home and practice till I get good enuff to suit shrap and the other stuffed shirts....

It's not about "good" enough, it is about "wood" enough...
plywood count?
the green kind?

Simple is fine, but this is what we are looking for...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
No can do. I live on a cowboy salary......Can't hang with you rich hoity-toities....

[Linked Image]

Say cheese?

DMc

Simple is fine, but this is what we are looking for...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You may have a lot of neat rifles, but it appears that you only have two fence posts�..

I have to admit, it is the shortest fence in Montana...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Great pics Don! Love that pistola! Did you have to search long for a blade of grass? Strangely the sand looks like Galveston beach!

DMc
I'm back! Had a good trip. Caught a bunch of redfish. Finally got home at 1:30am last night and I'm about to go get on the mower with the Hornet on my lap!
Glad you had a good trip Cole.. Saltwater fishing always looked like fun to me..
Thanks Ben. It's a blast when the fishin is good. The speckled trout fishing around there has been horrible lately. We usually catch a ton when I go down the middle of May. This year even the guides are having a hard time finding many specks. We caught a bunch of redfish though. You wouldn't believe how hard an 18" redfish fights! I love it. All the redfish we caught were between 16-20" and they all fought harder than the 8lb pike I caught a while back!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Keep em comin Don! Could you pull a badger or porcupine out of the freezer to break the monotony? Aren't there any rattlesnakes in your dog field. Our NM PD town was crawling with Mojove's.
[Linked Image]

That is a beast of a dog..
I reckon he'd make B&C.....
and here's a goodly sized cow.

[Linked Image]

Dave, I can't pull a pine-Q-pore outta the freezer. I forgot to put him back after posing him with the .45, he got to stinking and the coyotes ate 'im.....

No rattlers on this place, but there's a bunch across the interstate, to the east.
Sounds like a sticky situation! I did see your yote population shrank a little!

[Linked Image]

Tomorrow is just the beginning...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I heard there was a chance of snow?

That could only make it better. Did you notice the parasite in the last picture?
Believe that was a johnny come lately fly, had it been a parasite, Don would've nailed it.

smile
All tuned-up, here.....With nowhere to go. And, no stinkin' invite. I shaved my legs for this?.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I feel so like the gal in the song.....
a veritable plethora of pestilence....

[Linked Image]
You may have to come for your own shoot...
I'd hate to clean everything out before you guys got there.....
.22 mag. and young p. dog..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I got a turtle today, with my rental dodge, while driving around in OKC..

IDK how folks live out here..Cant wait till my walking papers arrive at the end of august.City's aint no place for decent people.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
'flave precision in action....

https://flic.kr/p/o2SvhG
mtcurman, EXCELLENT!!!! Thanks for the show of these characters in action.. It was great..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
what sticks, Cholly?
Vern Hooey

Had this set for years. I sure hope they never fail me because they'sanomo.

[Linked Image]
My youngest put a short stalk on a juvenile TN Go-Fare yesterday up in Shotgun County. The precious CCI Subsonic caused a bit of over-pressure in the Varmint Cong's Cranium. Note #2 Son's Cosmic Summer Camo...Carl Spackler, eat yer heart!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
CZ .22 mag. and gopher...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Peach, 223 and p dogs...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
230gr hardball over-penetrates....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Can't be much left alive on 4legs in your area!
Ronnie
Hey Don,
Noticing the nips cut into the ears of the frozen wabbits. Are those previous misses from your Browning auto or do you have a coyote population? (Red-tailed hawks, eagles?) Do you ever use a predator call?

DMc
Originally Posted by DMc
Are those previous misses ?

I don't miss THAT often.......grin

I use mouth calls during fur season.
[Linked Image]
Some of yesterday's take with the old .223 and 55 grain Sierra HPBT's.. H 4895 was the powder....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
seeing SAS's 'stamp' thread reminded me that I haven't had the 17 furball out this year.......now remedied.

[Linked Image]
My varmint hunting rig:

[Linked Image]
My varmint hunting pals:

[Linked Image]
Kate with the first of yesterday's p. dogs:

[Linked Image]
Part of yesterday's bag and my old .222.. 50gr. Horn. Zombies and a charge of H4198 did them in..

[Linked Image]
My varmint hunting rig:

[Linked Image]

Perfect!!!
Well,,, cept for the license plate but a little bailing wire'll fix that right up. smile
seeing SAS's 'stamp' thread reminded me that I haven't had the 17 furball out this year.......now remedied.

[Linked Image]

What a wonderful shooting iron.
You are blessed.
Field, the license plate IS held on by bailing wire.. I just didn't get it wired straight.. But the dogs don't care!! Have a good fourth!!
Field, the license plate IS held on by bailing wire.. I just didn't get it wired straight.. But the dogs don't care!! Have a good fourth!!
is THAT what it's called?
fur.... or......ball....ing, is blessed.

Don't YOU say grace?
My bud TR came out today. He invited me along on a PD shoot on the place north of me. We each shot about 100 rds. I got the biggest kick outta watching him shoot his suppressed 17 rem. Sitting a few feet away, the sound of the bullet smacking meat was louder than the report. He whomped north of 20 of 'em before he had a miss. The only pic I took of TR....

[Linked Image]

When he went back to the truck to change rifles to his 17 furball, I left my junk and sashayed about the bluff looking for arrowheads.

[Linked Image]

We never went to get pics of any of the carnage, so I went home and popped a few with MY furball, to get my fix. Sure is noisy compared to his...

[Linked Image]

Well you sneaky son-of-a-gun. No wonder you were telling me to keep shootin'. You told me you needed to reload but it looks as if you were actually takin' pics. Why I oughta.....Had fun my friend.
well at least I captured your 'good side'......Thanks again for taking me. Had a blast. Thanks also, for not inviting shrapnel. I won't tell deflave your .17 is cooler than his, either....

There was 'nuther rabbit in the woodpile when I went down to lock up my birds.....

[Linked Image]
YOUR .17 whoregnat is cooler than flaves�..
YOUR .17 whoregnat is cooler than flames�..

Flamin Flave?

...anyway, +1

smile
DMc
My varmint hunting rig:

[Linked Image]

This has turned into an ugly Toyota contest, here is a winner...

[Linked Image]
Shrapnel, I'm getting mine painted as soon as I take it to the car wash. Bought 6 cans of spray paint..
The dogs and I took a short ride yesterday. This p. dog tried to attack! Model 28 saved the day.. Never know when a good self defense weapon will be needed!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The .22-250 AI strikes again.. 50 Grain Sierra BK..

[Linked Image]
Shrapnel, I'm getting mine painted as soon as I take it to the car wash. Bought 6 cans of spray paint..

This one won't withstand a car wash...

[Linked Image]
My varmint hunting rig:

[Linked Image]

My 4 Runner has 528,000 miler on it, and it doesn't look like a fraction of the veteran yours looks like...

That one looks like it has 3 or 4 million on it...even by Montana Standards...
WCH, Good to see you gettin' after it.

You have excellent taste in vehicles by the way.

Travis
My varmint hunting rig:

[Linked Image]

Hey, isn't that the super secret, all new and improved, all-season, multi-terrain, flecktarn-multicam, urban-sagebrush camo?

Now everyone's gonna want it.
Took me 30 years to develop this camo colorations.. They secret formula is closely guarded..
Thanks Deflave, these outfits are winners.. My wife thought we should get a 4wheeler, a few years ago.. Until we went for a mulie hunt in this unit.. She decided a 4 wheeler would not be of much additional benefit for our hunting over this one..
[Linked Image]
Model 28: 140 grain Rem. HP 13.5 gr.2400..

[Linked Image]
Thanks Deflave, these outfits are winners.. My wife thought we should get a 4wheeler, a few years ago.. Until we went for a mulie hunt in this unit.. She decided a 4 wheeler would not be of much additional benefit for our hunting over this one..

Oh what a feeling...

Nice Smith by the way.

Travis
[Linked Image]
22, that is an interesting pose what caliber??? Had to take the wife to Cheyenne for a D. app. so no kills today..

flave, thanks, paid too much for it but I wanted it.. I would love a 1950 .44... But this one makes a fun piece..
ruger ultralite in 204. my truck gun

[Linked Image]
Sharp rifle.. Never had a .204..
thanks. 204's are the bomb for PD's.....
It sure looks like it!!! What grain bullet?? One of my pals has one.. But I never shot it.. Dan Thompson used one on coyotes before his passing.. It sure did the job on one I saw him shoot..
A nice looking fellow there you have riding shotgun!!!
wch, I run the 40 Nozzle'er BT's over H4895. Here is another sim-u-lar 'pose' from tonight. This'un I used my 'big' 204 on. Ruger VT

[Linked Image]
Looks like the .204 is an outstanding p. dog rifle.. If I were younger and we had more dogs, I would have to have one...
Get one anyway. It'll make you FEEL younger. Ask Ingwe.....
ruger ultralite in 204. my truck gun

[Linked Image]

Don,

since he's likely seen it in action a time or two:

that dawgg looks like he's in awe of that rifle...
Get one anyway. It'll make you FEEL younger. Ask Ingwe.....

Dude: waking up without somebody holding a mirror under my nose makes me feel younger.

But yeah, the .204 is skookum as hell�.

It is really hard to beat a Whitney Kennedy SRC in 45-60...

[Linked Image]
Unusual p. dog equipment for sure, but it sure is different.. Love to see all the different firearms in your collection..
[Linked Image]
22, You don't eat these little devils??? I am sure summer bunnies may not be safe, but lots of folks here just love cottontail??

This thread needs diversity, more different stuff to kill these harmless critters...

[Linked Image]
schrapnel, This hurt!! A bow and arrow, that is low.. Even varmints deserve more.. Get the Whitney, or your old .25-35!!!

How about this...

[Linked Image]
Better than an arrow...!!

How about this...

[Linked Image]

Is that 6 ply? What speed? Air pressure?

Travis
I killed a goph in Texas with the 6 plies on my Nissan. No pics though, TAK was with me and he forbids the use of cameras.
the last blade of grass this one is stealing from my cows....

[Linked Image]
In Bavaria that would have been slipped into the deceased mouth as "the last bite"�and I would bid you "Weidmannsheil"

Then we could blow big ass trumpets and drink a lot! laugh
In Bavaria that would have been slipped into the deceased mouth as "the last bite"�and I would bid you "Weidmannsheil"

Then we could blow big ass trumpets and drink a lot! laugh

It's been my experience that sometimes, depending on the frauline, the "drink a lot" part comes long before anything gets blown...
laugh

How about this...

[Linked Image]

Is that 6 ply? What speed? Air pressure?

Travis

Didn't you notice it is a Cooper, that says it all...
The look of surprise a badger has after meeting a 40 gr. Nosler BT from a 223, muzzle velocity was 3700 fps and the badger was 200 yds away.

Yep! you guessed it - the launch platform was a Cooper.

[Linked Image][/URL]
Ruined his day!!
[Linked Image]
Is there anything left alive in Colo?
Yes. but I have to ration it. One-A-Day. like the vitamins. If I was to get serious, I'd have nothing left to shoot at, after the first day....

This thread needs diversity, more different stuff to kill these harmless critters...

[Linked Image]

Was that with about a five pound draw weight on your bow? I would have thought you'd get a full "pass through" on that one. smile
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by navlav8r

[Linked Image]

Was that with about a five pound draw weight on your bow? I would have thought you'd get a full "pass through" on that one. smile

Bow? Shrapnel don't need no stinking bow��he throws the arrows�..

[Linked Image]

Bow? Shrapnel don't need no stinking bow��he throws the arrows�..

Must have been throwing left handed smile

Nothing but head shots...

[Linked Image]
Didn't wanna reach in and drag out the flea-bitten bastid for a pic. Tossed in the cartridge that kilt him, for future archaeologists to ponder when they excavate his petrified little bones in the future....

[Linked Image]
They will think they found the Messiah Gopher, cause he'll be buried with his sacred Chalice�The Gopher Holy Grail...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nash was poison on rodents the other day, getting both a packrat and a standard mouse in the same afternoon with his Pietta .22.... Epic hero shots were in order.

[Linked Image]IMG_6831 by mtcurman

[Linked Image]IMG_6832 by mtcurman

grin

Ben
ol' Nash is pure 'D' death, on boar rodents.
That's good shooting right there!

Anything over four feet away is pretty safe from me with a hand gun.

Purdy pistola too.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nothing but head shots...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Colt Ace 22 LR...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Skid marks...

[Linked Image]
Shrapnel, very nice Colt... Did it make the skid marks or sharp sticks????
Shrapnel, very nice Colt... Did it make the skid marks or sharp sticks????

Skid marks are from arrows. The Colt is a really nice gun I just acquired, it is in the safe for guns I am keeping...
was playing varmint cong sniperman today...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
These refused to listen to reason.. The .44 settled the issue...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
was playing varmint cong sniperman today...
[Linked Image]

...then those must be "hamburgers"......
Varmint Cong�.

[Linked Image]
Is that Hunts without a hat???? He looks ODDLY familiar...

laugh
DMc
[Linked Image]
Went up to the colorado get-together shindig today. Had to pop a mountain ground skwirkle on the way out. Sorry, I couldn't find the assend to put in the pic...

[Linked Image]
High shoulder shot at 79 paces from the cabin porch. OMG, a Remington Golden 36 grain hollow point did not misfire.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My dad's old .32 spl.

[Linked Image]
it's good you get her out and stretch her legs.
It truly surprised me on p. dogs.. I do need to shoot this one more.. I will bet it has not fired 3 bx. of ammo since the 1940's..
this'un made it home with no stuffing...

[Linked Image]

this one also made it home, but left his mind at the entrance...

[Linked Image]
LOL
Hunts, Not enough gun!!! Remember Elmer..
All that PD needs is a leather shoe string and Hunts'll have a nice tobacco pouch! He just needs to find it.

DMc
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Need to rename this "Huntsman's Varmint Thread"
No way. I'm just filling in for Ben while he's busy not killing stuff. Somebody has to keep it near the top so's he can find it if he ever decides to come back. Another this afternoon.
[Linked Image]
H22, keep the Indian artifact thread going, too. I had to look hard for it last time I posted in it. grin
I haven't found anything but chips and flakes for quite a while. Getting rain the next few days might work something up....

Bookmark it. Then it's easy to find....grin
Don, What caliber is the Ruger?

DMc
17 hornet
Looks like it's your favorite for PD's.

DMc
it'll do....
[Linked Image]
No way. I'm just filling in for Ben while he's busy not killing stuff. Somebody has to keep it near the top so's he can find it if he ever decides to come back. Another this afternoon.
[Linked Image]

Sorry Don, me and Nash have been fishing a bunch lately instead of whacking dogs.. I'll probably get up to the dog town one day here shortly though...

Oh, and we've had an on-going job of killing off rabbits from out from under our neighbors house. We're up to 29.. whistle

Ben
Bull........pics or it didn't happen. You know the rules.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I see a definite pattern emerging. wink
Now that you mention it, I believe I see it too....,

That must be one of those Africanized Hornets?

laugh
DMc
[Linked Image]
These pics are from a while back. Photobucket wasn't working for me at the time and just forgot about them until now. All 17 hornet victims. Gopher shootin is pretty much over here. I see one every now and then but it's getting hot enough they aren't coming out much anymore

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/cole_smith/7855070907e2fd3b2817239b0766e978_zps9fa8df65.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/cole_smith/b4b35df5afb589c56be6bab9550dd55b_zpsfce3fb14.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/cole_smith/89a33bb567feb61aba79bb3dd4ea3aab_zps6d800952.jpg[/img]

Good job DT.. Love the one in the fence.. grin
went to the windmill and no doggy's were out and about. But this one little bugger kept giving me the evil eye. Every time I'd draw a bead he would duck down. I took about 20 minutes of this mexican faceoff before he gave me a chance to, well, blow his face off......

[Linked Image]
Felicitaciones! Buen trabajo, excelente. Did the Feds bus or fly him up?

laugh
DMc
Ouch. I bet that was a mind blowing experience... laugh

For something different, but don't try this at home...

[Linked Image]

The ol' Clark Custom 1022 still remembers how to kill....
this wascally wabbit won't be chewing up Momma's garden any more. grin
[Linked Image]

For something different, but don't try this at home...

not even quills will harm that steel exterior...
[Linked Image]
...Hunts,

That rifle is a straight up whore. All the prairie dogs are always laying down with it.

Nice shootin.

Is it a Ruger 77??
yup. 77/17 hornet. Her name is Whore-gnat.....

..laffin..awesome. Beauty of a rifle.
[Linked Image]

It looks like you tried to cover this one up as a suicide. Paw on trigger guard. Back end blown up. The mechanics still don't look quite right, though.
[Linked Image]
I call this one, the 'Humpback of Noter Damey'.....

[Linked Image]
I call this one, the 'Humpback of Noter Damey'.....

[Linked Image]

What the heck? Is that just an odd angle, or is that really some kind of hump?

Looks sort of like that dude in "For a few dollars more" that Lee Van Cleef lights a match on.. grin
it really is some kinda hump. the bullet did not exit, but it sure 'raised' he!!, internally....
[Linked Image]
They've armed themselves, and are shooting back......

Let's be careful out there....

[Linked Image]
kiwi thinks he's an illegal.....

[Linked Image]
I'm in deep doo-doo. It appears they've allied with the Kaiser...

[Linked Image]

Looks like the Germans have arrived for back up eek!!....Varmints are mobilizing en masse ....Pass me my Hornet.
Looks like you might need an '03 Springfield for that dog..
I'm thinking Browning M1919....
Or, maybe shrap will borry me the BAR......
[Linked Image]
Or, maybe shrap will borry me the BAR......

That could work....
[Linked Image]
All right Don, I can contribute to the thread today... grin

[Linked Image]IMG_7538 by mtcurman

[Linked Image]IMG_7541 by mtcurman

[Linked Image]IMG_7545 by mtcurman

[Linked Image]IMG_7548 by mtcurman

Saw some really cool country too...

[Linked Image]IMG_7558 by mtcurman

[Linked Image]IMG_7584 by mtcurman

Ben
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
bacon and fleas.....what a combo.
We'll now take a break from our regularly scheduled prairie dog programming, to get a message from our sponsor....the bunny chronicle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
...who-ore!

Dang Hunts, that rifle is super sexy out in that mountain sunshine.

...I might over-hand the spittin cobra to that, rather than the basement offerings...

OOPS, how'd I get up here???

I a-pol-o-gize....

Bunny 'Humps-No-More' takes a dirt nap....awesome.

even the windmill tank wanted to get in on the dead critter thread....

[Linked Image]
summer snow? nah, just a feather shower from a collared dove.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Don, the Whore-gnat is impressive!

DMc
[Linked Image]

What happened, did it faint at the awesome site of the rifle, or was it just love sick?

John
Paul
George

...and Ruger.
neither. That is my trained, pet hamster. He likes to play dress-up in his little prairie dog costume. I then tell him to play dead before I give him a treat, while posing with the whoregnat.. He also loves it when he gets to slather ketchup and fake guts on. He calls it his horror flick acting role..... Quite the little camera hog
[Linked Image]
neither. That is my trained, pet hamster. He likes to play dress-up in his little prairie dog costume. I then tell him to play dead before I give him a treat, while posing with the whoregnat.. He also loves it when he gets to slather ketchup and fake guts on. He calls it his horror flick acting role..... Quite the little camera hog

You are one sick MoFo�...

..naw.

....he's a mystical gopher charmer. And a good one, as pics attest.

...Dances wif Gophers.

�Shu Mani Tutanka O Gopher�

If you ever seen Hannibal Hamster in his little mask, lower a bucket of lotion into a prairie dog hole, and say in his best buffalo bill voice, "rub on the lotion", it would crack you the heck up....

If you ever seen Hannibal Hamster in his little mask, lower a bucket of lotion into a prairie dog hole, and say in his best buffalo bill voice, "rub on the lotion", it would crack you the heck up....

Doooooood��. shocked

Too much time in the High lonesome?
[Linked Image]
I can see the seam in his little PD suit�.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

..that pdog shat out flowers at the sight of your riffle?

Or did you lay them there ...

Funny.
You think he would be more attractive with one of these sticking out of his rear?

[Linked Image]

If I could figger out how to pick&stick without getting poked, I might could try it....

...i think that cactus and flower WAS a prairie dog you "re fertilized" 5 years ago, Hunts.

I can see it, iffin I look at it in the right light.

You put a hole in em, and flowers spring out.

to everything, turn, turn, turn...
Switching gears.... I declare it 17 furball week. Gonna give the whoregnat a rest. I sure hope some of you other guys will see fit to pry yer kchunts from the khouch, khontribute to the thread, and get out and khill some khritters.....

[Linked Image]

Screw it, we are just gonna rename it the huntsman 22 thread and start our own, much shorter thread grin
no need to get all huffy, and stuff. I guess starting your own thread from the comfi-ness of the couch, would be easier than getting out there and blasting stuff and taking pics....grin
Not getting huffy,just jealous�. grin
soon Don, soon. Mean while, keep 'er alive...
[Linked Image]IMG_7808 by mtcurman

[Linked Image]IMG_7812 by mtcurman
[Linked Image]IMG_7843 by mtcurman

How are these Don? Do you approve?
Nash on the '.250....

Cur,

Your gopher balloon has lost its air. No need for the tether anymore.
Originally Posted by WillARights

Cur,

Your gopher balloon has lost its air. No need for the tether anymore.

It looks to be tied around his waist.... whistle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fireball?
yessir

[Linked Image]
....Hawkeye, or Mark II Hunts?
mkII. traded 'slave for it. He was dumping a bunch of rifles he got into. It was a UL 223 in the previous life. The owner rebarreled with a sporter weight shaw. It's a fouling sumbish and nothing was ever done with the magbox, so it has feed issues. I've had it awhile and still haven't done anything with it, except putting it into a sporter stock and chooting it.
A few not shot with a 17 Hornitizer or Furball
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

..7mm magnum?

...20mm?

Hellfire?

21" 243 AI
Ping Pong Balls

55 Blitzkings started at 3900
[Linked Image]
Is that from your hunting trip with your buddy Oldturtle
No. O.T. can't get out of the truck........
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...gopher garnish. He must've enjoy dinner, then......was it.

Love the pics, Hunts.
HM, I may have to get me one of those "Furballs". I've got a 700 in 221 Furball but I think dealing with those itty bitty 17's would be fun!
[Linked Image]

...Sieg Ow!

...looks like that Operation game.
[Linked Image]
...all of your gophers are narcoleptics, HM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
'pears to be much drier there than it is here Don... Us and the new neighbors were planning some death and destruction on the local dog town yesterday, but the weather decided to not cooperate.. Mebbe it'll dry up enough by this afternoon, at least I'm hoping so.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
you need to lay off the coffee Don, it's causing ya to double stroke the keys. grin
Darby is coming over this weekend to slay a few with me. Looks like the weather is going to cooperate.
You bringing him to the neighbors place? stop and say hi if ya do....
not sure if we'll end up there or not, got a couple other spots that I haven't been to this summer that I need to go check first. Will call if we make it next door to ya.
[Linked Image]

Dayom. That looks like one big arse gopher, HM.

do you ever weigh them, or are the pieces to hard to collect?

He looks like an Emperor gopher.

Grey metal and wood look good together. Sharp.
Been trying to catch this guy since saturday. Been hitting the sweetcorn in the garden. Sardines wasn't working. I knew I needed to get something sweeter than corn to get him in the cage. Went to town and bought a bag o' marshmallows. Slathered them up with honey and peanut butter. COTCHED HEEM.....
[Linked Image]

....not even Buford T. Justice caught the Bandit.

...thats a nice picture. Nice arrangement.

...K frame, .22?
J frame. model 63

....Wow! Nice.

Expensive.

I love getting chukar killers. They are SO acrobatic when hit. This one musta leaped 16 foot in the air. He then done a double gainer with pike and a few dillywhirty's on his landing.....

[Linked Image]

every time I whack one, it makes me feel like a kid again......

[Linked Image]
Who doesn't like to swat cats?
[Linked Image]
Never was fortunate enuff to see them out in a prairie dog town.....
First for me too, and I spend a bit of time around dog towns. Only water for a few miles is right at that town though.
Now there's a Good Ditch Tiger...... grin
[Linked Image]

...call the gopher am-ba-lance

...they had a common, fatal reaction to lead.

...sweet.
How about some prairie dog Olympic diving.... 1 & 1/2 with a full twist....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
High Jump....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I love getting chukar killers. They are SO acrobatic when hit. This one musta leaped 16 foot in the air. He then done a double gainer with pike and a few dillywhirty's on his landing.....

[Linked Image]

I can't believe someone would kill a harmless cat...

He's just resting.
I was wondering where my little snuggle buddy "Pumpkin" went�..
couple of us gave'em hell for a couple of days. Thankfully the weather held and the rains stopped for us.
[Linked Image]
DogShooter,

Muy fantastico fotos amigo!

Being annexed by Mexico, I figgered I should learn Spanish.

I was wondering where my little snuggle buddy "Pumpkin" went�..

+ Uno. Hunts probably took it swimming first!

laugh
DMc
[Linked Image]
Trucked....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dog, Great Photo!!!!!!
They're actually frame by frame stills of the video....

That 123 Amax is a violent sum'bitch....
Good stuff doggy.

[Linked Image]
Dove season opener.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

laugh
DMc
The guys you hunt with are sure cute! laugh
Thanks, they especially like leopard thongs, just not yours particularly. Mail order brides from Slovenia.

smile
DMc
grin
Dogshooter spectacular shots!
DMc, drop one in the mail to me.

[Linked Image]
Don, I'm not a broker...., that's THEIR job!!

....and you gotta git em when their itty bitty!

[Linked Image]

laugh
DMc
Good deal! They've grown up in Camo!
21" sporter take off, 243 AI and 55 Blitzkings at 3900+ It shoots close range poodle bombs to 105 AMAX very well.
[Linked Image]
[u][u]
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
High Jump....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Better get some Tordon on that Canadian Thistle before it covers the pasture.
[/u][/u]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dang Huntsman, do you ever work? It looks like all you do is hunt....guess that's where your "handle" comes from smile
It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.....
Cotched another coon in the garden. Corncksuckers....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sweet!

David
Cotched another coon in the garden. Corncksuckers....

[Linked Image]

Those look different than the ones you find in Oakland... whistle
Ill bet the ones in Oakland have 9mm autos instead of a revolver...
With the sights mounted on the side of the barrel instead of on top?
Yeah�kinda like this�

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
huntsman22 you've got more kills in this thread than I have in a year. Color me jealous!

Nice shooting!
Originally Posted by SShooterZ
huntsman22 you've got more kills in this thread than I have in a year. Color me jealous!

Nice shooting!

I think he's got some endorsement deals smile
I wish......... Hard to pay the ol' ammo bill on cowboy wages. Thinking of starting up 'Buy Donnie some bullets' on fundme.com.
I'm thinkin you'd be a natural for some evening work!

Dancin Cowboy Donnie @ Chippendales Denver!

[Linked Image]

laugh
DMc
Disco Don is too modest for THAT gig.....
Well Disco,
Looks like it'll have to be "Guided PD hunts" w/free orderless skunks on the side!

laugh
DMc

PS: The women would love YOU! Get that Jed Clampett boot scoot down!
I'm a regular boot-scootin' booger......
Since Pepe Le'pew turned your hat white, how does that Skoal taste now?

Cool thread.
skoal? I'd rather dip skonk essence....grin

Had a couple fellers stop by the ranch on their way back to Alabammy from their first CO archery elk trip. They didn't score on elk, but they got their first ever prairie dogs.....

[Linked Image]

I admire a man who hunts in Crocs.
Did the PD's get a day off today?

shocked
DMc
H/man you out of ammo? No mamalian disassembly shots today smile
Nah. It seems that I'm plumb outta critters........ Somebody else gotsta pick up the slack.
Just another day on the trap line. Ha

These little bastids usually start showing up this time of year thinking my wood shed looks like a nice place to winter.
This one gave me the slip for a week or so but I finally lured him in with a chicken bone and dispatched him with my trusty 17cal. smirk
[Linked Image]

I cotch 'em in the windmill tank....

[Linked Image]
Yea,,, I've seen allot of em in Horse troughs.
Especially the one's made from old bath tubs.
I used to make a ramp up to the top of a 5 gallon bucket, half full of water. I put it out by my dog kennels to keep the mice down and out of their food/water..Was good for 20+ a week of the little bastards.
Yea,,, my neighbor had one that the board was like a teeter totter. Worked like a charm.
Is it just me or is the prairie dog shooting even better now? Seems they are bigger and dumber. I'm liking this late season shooting better than our windy spring days.

These two when out together, one 40 grain Vmax from my Vixen. Great way to start a day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
204 Ruger
This one won't keep me up at night anymore. Been trying to wait before I started but there has been a few that cruz by my house and get the dogs going about 10 pm every night, so I went out and looked around with my new Wickedlight, caught eyes out at 250 or so and lip squeaked her into 90 steps.
Great picture and story!

smile
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Did u make that tri-pod yourself of is that something u bought??
I chase coyotes year-round, but I had to take a break this summer to go up to Alaska to work. Because of my trip north, my coyote "season" started in August, while scouting for deer. If anyone wants to coyote and is near Morrow County in Oregon, send me a PM.

[Linked Image]

I wish I had a pic of the blood trail, he was so short the blood pumping out of his chest painted a 10" wide stripe through the grass for about 30 yards.

My buddy picked this one up on the next stand, using my old Mossberg to ventilate the young coyote with Federal copper plated BB.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jimbutler
Did u make that tri-pod yourself of is that something u bought??

Do 'u' mean 'urself'? I have trouble comprendo'ing text inglish. I did get the tripod part, though, I think... Store-boughten Primos triggerstick.
One more client for the Norman Bates Squirrel Motel today grin

Fighting the good fight for the fine people of Montana by doing my part to stop this invasive specie...

[Linked Image]
Nice shooting! How's that work looking down iron sights with trifocals?

laugh
DMc
Mine are "Progressive lenses" not trifocals....

Now GFY.
[Linked Image]
I put up the 'Vacancy' sign on the squirrel motel. I hope somebody checks in today.... whistle
They can check in, but they Don't check out.......

catchy slogan.

you should recycle it....
Exactamundo. One took advantage of the 'Vacancy' sign already this morning. grin

I have 'transitioned and relocated' him .

Sign is on again. grin
[Linked Image]

That's an appealing Ruger and I assume it's their Varmint configuration. Can you tell me more about it and how you have it set up? I saw that you use the Primos Trigger Sticks and I wanted to ask you if you thought they would be good for using when calling in coyotes.
ruger 77/17 Hornet. Not a true varmint, but heavier than the magnum contour. It's comparable to the 77 predator contour. No beavertail like the VT.... It's running factory 1 inch rings and a bushy 4.5 - 14x. No mods.

If you are practiced on shooting sticks, the trigger sticks don't have much to offer, but they'd do fine IMO.....
ruger 77/17 Hornet. Not a true varmint, but heavier than the magnum contour. It's comparable to the 77 predator contour. No beavertail like the VT.... It's running factory 1 inch rings and a bushy 4.5 - 14x. No mods.

If you are practiced on shooting sticks, the trigger sticks don't have much to offer, but they'd do fine IMO.....

Thanks! I'll have to give the trigger sticks a try. I don't particularly like the shooting sticks I have now (Hunter's Specialties?).
[Linked Image]
I better check the squirrel motel to see if anyone wants room service with the Daisy 880.... whistle
[Linked Image]

We need to rename this thread to the above....

I'm speculating his Ruger is the killin'est 17 Hornet off the assembly line so far....unless the US Military starts using them to snipe those ISIS varmints over in Syria....

all of these Colorado varmint migrate to his place to commit suicide it seems...they must also plan on getting 72 virgins
2nd stand of the season. Got kind of western. 5 came so I left one for seed. whistle
[Linked Image]

took the rest of the day to kill 4 more. shocked
Don, where's your dead critter from yesterday?
2nd stand of the season. Got kind of western. 5 came so I left one for seed. whistle
[Linked Image]

outstanding!!!
TR, you suck....
Originally Posted by smokepole
Don, where's your dead critter from yesterday?

[Linked Image]

thanks for being such an outstanding guide. Couldn't have done it without you...
TR, you suck....
I try.. whistle Nice speed goat....
]
thanks for being such an outstanding guide. Couldn't have done it without you...

Yup, it took all my powers of observation, the herd was at least 175 yards away, and the grass was a good 8 inches tall. Plus, there were only 7 of 'em.

Not everybody could've spotted those.
The ol' H&R Topper .410 is still shanking evil TN critters 44 years after Mom n Dad bought it for me at Friedman's in Nashville for my 11th Birfday. Got tired of this one screeching pridefully today 'bout the quail eggs he'd gobbled all summer so punched his ticket.
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

That is an OUTSTANDING photo, CC.

Just the right mix of composition, color, and subject.

Was it a snap photo? Or orchestrated a bit?

Well done, Frameable.
Terrific work, TR.

The other game will breathe alittle easier with you on the job.

Nice color dogs too.
Originally Posted by Seafire
[Linked Image]

all of these Colorado varmint migrate to his place to commit suicide it seems...they must also plan on getting 72 virgins

No doubt, Sea. Ive thot as much as well.

Gotta be the rifle. When HM brings out the 77 "Little Sexy" 17, the dogs seem to lay down on command.

I know I get real wood over that laminate beauty, and enjoy the working carnage pics.

Just laid the .410 down at the place bird fell, stuck its feet behind the barrel and whipped out the ol' iPhone. Never apologize for cellphone pics.

Thanks.
[Linked Image]
It's UBER fun to watch someone who's never shot a prairie dog, shoot a prairie dog.... grin

[Linked Image]IMG_8670 by mtcurman
Dang Ben! You let him use the sacred Sako?

Travis
[Linked Image]

Damn!

Travis
Two down today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
you'd best kick it up a notch, if'n ya want to hang with TR....grin
Haha. I don't think I'll get to that point.

Let's just be thankful scenar doesn't post on this thread.

Travis
And I thought I was calling some wide open country. Actually way more cover/weeds and tall grass, this year than in past years in my calling country. Matter of fact, the area where I hunted yesterday, the cover is waste high. Going to be tough killing big numbers with that cover.

Nice job on the two Deflave. That's more than I shot yesterday. blush
I almost had a third at first light. He skylined himself about 500 yds out but he ducked over the ridge before I could get on him.

Golf course was looking beautiful yesterday:

[Linked Image]

Travis
Nice work Travis.. .17 or .22-250??
Nice work Travis.. .17 or .22-250??

22-250.

I have an antelope doe tag. So I go looking for coyotes and hope to see an antelope. grin

Travis
Good choice, just shot my last antelope of the season a couple days ago.. .22-250AI.. Dropped her right on the spot.. Looking for coyotes is ALWAYS more fun than almost any other hunting.. Good luck with both..
Good job Travis... Those look well furred. cool 75 gr A-Max?
Keep killin them dogs Travis. Nice job
Good job Travis... Those look well furred. cool 75 gr A-Max?

Yes.

And man did it make a mess of the second one. I had to use the rifle to hide some of it...

Travis

Travis

You'll see plenty when I retire....

Nice shooting!
Thanks Pat.

Brought one into range on my third stand this morning and I blew it. Underestimated the wind. Saw the splash and I was about half a mil wide.

So I guess I'll go back to being humble.

Travis
"Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way." laugh
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Travis

You'll see plenty when I retire....

Nice shooting!

When are you going to retire Pat.

It'll give you more time to go hunting... wink
[Linked Image]
Did you skin that coon Don? If so, how was it?

Love that little Colt.
started to, peeled him to the front legs and he was still not ready.....
couple more...

[Linked Image]
I assume you're catching them in a trap first Don? Or are ya stickin' your arm down a tree hole, pullin'em out and stickin' a quick shot in their ear?
Got 5 more yesterday. 17 so far for Oct. Here's a good and a bad. More mange this year than in past.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Keep it up, TR. You saving them yet? Does the fur guy have a schedule set?

Those coons are trapped. They're tearing the hell outta my corn in the bird strips.
I've kept a couple so far. 4 of the 5 had mange yesterday.
The fur buyer has routes and times posted and apparently you didn't take him enough fur in Deer Trail last year, so he's moved his route to go through Kiowa, closer to my house, this year. wink grin
He'll screw you bad enuff to make up the gas money difference.....
Varmint.

[Linked Image]

Ella
Nice work TR!

Travis
First coyote of the year.... Shot him off the porch at 320 yds.. He ran up the hill about 50 yds and we sicked the dog on him.. He found him in short order.

[Linked Image]
IMG_8821 by mtcurman

Nice shootin, Cur

Terrific photo too. Make it in black and white and has the feel of 100 years ago.

Carry on.

Good luck.
they don't get much easier than this one. About 10 seconds of rabbit on a stick and I saw her coming. Turned the call off, and about 4 minutes later, shot her at about 35 yards. Took her dear old time getting to my side of the pond.
[Linked Image]
First coyote of the year.... Shot him off the porch at 320 yds.. He ran up the hill about 50 yds and we sicked the dog on him.. He found him in short order.

[Linked Image]
IMG_8821 by mtcurman

That picture is hero-grade.

Travis
Travis, you and Mini-Flave need to get down here and then we can get an UBER hero-grade picture. grin

Thanks WillARights... cool

Ben
TR, you are stacking them up!

Do you ever hunt with Rick the Verminator any more?
Dang. Ol' Nash is getting to be a solid sprout. The damn dog woulda yanked me on my azz.....
He's certainly a stout little feller.. grin

Ole Cap Rountree definitely had a taste for coyote blood right there. He wasn't very happy with me when I took the coyote away from him to hose it down with flea killer. I'll be interested to see how prime it is.
Do you ever hunt with Rick the Verminator any more?
he's scheduled to be out here to hunt with me middle of next month. He's beggin' of me to save him some. laugh I'll let him do the shooting when he comes out since he rarely gets to do so. I don't do too bad behind the camera.
Originally Posted by WillARights

Nice shootin, Cur

Terrific photo too. Make it in black and white and has the feel of 100 years ago.

Carry on.

Good luck.

Ben & Nash.....Hows this?

[Linked Image]

Or How about this?

[Linked Image]

There ya go.

Looks more righter.

Good job Ingwe.

Hey Ben,,,, nothing personal but have you ever thought about some anger management therapy for that dog? smile
Charlie, ironically, he had just finished a session in that photo, and was eager for another... VERY eager.. grin

Ingwe, exceptionally uber... grin

TR, sounds like fun. I always liked that filmed hunt where he called in 4 or 5 and started giving you a hard time about using a .204.

These guys live the lives of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Their passion for shooting is limited only by how much ammo they have...

[Linked Image]
Good to see in the youth of America.
man that black and white is cool. Really does look like it was taken back in the day.

[Linked Image]
COOL! laugh
Did you call that one Don?

Man I wish we had Fox around here.
Awesome little fox Don.. Is that a Swift or a Kit?
swifty. No calls, he was just meandering about, and didn't see me.
Doesn't appear to be much damage.
Dad and I have been chooting a few p-dogs coming and going from deer and elk hunting the past couple days.... All Sako kills, thus far.

[Linked Image]IMG_8886 by mtcurman

[Linked Image]IMG_8889 by mtcurman

Ben
Lovin it Ben.

I haven't been out after deer and don't plan much besides a Whitetail doe hunt...

Neighborhood squirrels are catching hell though.... whistle

Got two 'stewers' Im gonna put in your moms Wabbit Pot Pie Wecipe instead of rabbit.....
Lucky.. grin I could go for some skwerrel pie about now..... It's getting cold enough I'm starting to think about eating rabbits for the year.. I've never seen a year with so many. It's nuts.

And I reckon it's all right if you haven't been deer hunting yet.... whistle I've been wanting to shoot my cow elk early so I can hunt deer during the rut.
Good to hear on the rabbits. I gotta go get some. I quit doing the elk thing, and don't have a good spot for big mule deer, so they get a pass. Plus I went to Texas this past May and came home with a truckload of pigs and Axis, so meat isn't a pressing matter.

Still gotta go shoot a doe and maybe a dink...just because. grin
Hey Don, if I remember right, wasn't it determined that the swift and the kit were basically the same? Thought that's why they took one or the other off of the "no hunt" list just a couple of years ago. But maybe I've lost my marbles.
yeah. 'they' now say the two are the same. But these out here, sure look different to me, than the ones down in the pinyon country to the south.
the sparrow lost the left side beak and brain...
[Linked Image]

he has the 'cranial cavitation' thing going on....grin
[Linked Image]
That 2nd pic is awesome!

Nother varmint. Didn't know these were around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ella
[Linked Image]
Tasty varmint there.... wink
Great pic Don!!
an old, fat, smart sucker, that I suckered yesterday. Didn't come to rabbit, and I don't think he would've, but that's just a WAG on my part. Was missing one lower canine and the other 3 were in rough shape.
[Linked Image]
You da man TR...
Ben,

That pic of your dad almost got me pregnant.

Travis
[Linked Image]
Ben,

That pic of your dad almost got me pregnant.

Travis

I'm sure, uh, he'll be glad to um, hear that........
First snared yotie of the year for me....

[Linked Image]IMG_8961 by mtcurman
NICE! laugh

Ben: squirrel pot pies in the oven as I type this....... grin cool
Great way to end the week.[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by N8Will
Great way to end the week

[Linked Image]

He looks kind of surprised... grin

Ingwe, sounds great!
Had a good day on the 'line today... I got a badger and Nash snared another pale coyote...

[Linked Image]IMG_9052 by mtcurman

He did some pretty major earthwork..

[Linked Image]IMG_9050 by mtcurman

[Linked Image]IMG_9063 by mtcurman

[Linked Image]IMG_9069 by mtcurman

Looking forward to what tomorrow will bring.. smile

Ben
Nice!

That badger is a hooter!
Great job Ben and Nash!

Every days like Christmas on the trap line.
You never know what you're gonna get.

Even more fun setting in heavy cover for Cats. My heart really gets busy when I hear that chain pumping but can't see whats there.

Five more weeks for me. cry
I get kindling sticks and lumps of coal more often than not...
Thanks men.. Don, that goes for me too a lot of the time... grin

Charlie, cat trapping is the best. We've got just under a month here.. Nash and I built sort of a walk-through cubby yesterday morning in anticipation for cat season when we were cutting some firewood.

[Linked Image]
IMG_9045 by mtcurman

We like building our cubbies way before season so the cats are used to them come season.. There are no traps in that picture.

That's a good looking set right there Ben.

Ben and Nash are kickin' some ass.

Travis
Do not wash your Wool Windshear.

[Linked Image]

My sets and success...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Finally got some sets out over the weekend and got lucky and put a #2 bridger bracelet on this male tonight. Im more of a snaring guy but decided to set some steel out. Cant wait till December 1st to get all my snares out.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good job Laker, that's a nice looking coyote. Looks like he's got nice guardhairs..

Shrap, that is a good cat right there..... grin Was he the one who tracked up the GTO?
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Do not wash your Wool Windshear.

Laughin' my ass off...

Travis
Had one running around a pasture last week when we were elk hunting. My brother and I dropped to the ground and I let out a few barks and some short rabbit in distress. He showed up about 300 yds out and we never saw him again so we gave up. When we got up to keep moving this one was about 400yds out and took off running. I barked a few times and he stopped long enough for my brother to cut loose. "Where the post meets crosshair, put that on his spine just above his ass!" He fugging connected with the first shot and neither of us could believe it. We ranged it @ 600yds after the shot.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Had one running around a pasture last week when we were elk hunting. My brother and I dropped to the ground and I let out a few barks and some short rabbit in distress. He showed up about 300 yds out and we never saw him again so we gave up. When we got up to keep moving this one was about 400yds out and took off running. I barked a few times and he stopped long enough for my brother to cut loose. "Where the post meets crosshair, put that on his spine just above his ass!" He fugging connected with the first shot and neither of us could believe it. We ranged it @ 600yds after the shot.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Uber.

What ca'tridge?
Spotted this one about a mile away while we were deer hunting. I much prefer coyotes to deer so we dropped into the bottom of the creek and started calling. Got him within 100yds.

I think mini-'flave had his heart pounding because he shot while the dog was trotting, and then barked... Rookies...

He connected but dad had to clean up on the running, wounded dog. Either way. Successful stand:
[Linked Image]

Uber.

What ca'tridge?

7-08. 162gr. A-Max.

I swear that rifle is magic.

Travis
What's up this coming weekend?
What's up this coming weekend?

I'm driving down to shoot that cow elk you tied to the tree for me.

Travis
Buddy and I took our boys out yesterday they did great. [Linked Image]
You fellers are putting the hurtin' on 'em... cool

I got this one in one of my snares this morning... Dandy little 'yote. It's dumping snow now, might hafta go deer hunting in the morning.

[Linked Image]coyote by mtcurman

Ben
Travis do you use that 7mm08 on elk also? Im thinking of going that route for a lighter wieght than my almost 10 pound 280AI. Not looking at a true light weight but something around 7 or so.
What are the specs on that 7-08?
You fellers are putting the hurtin' on 'em... cool

I got this one in one of my snares this morning... Dandy little 'yote. It's dumping snow now, might hafta go deer hunting in the morning.

[Linked Image]coyote by mtcurman

Ben

Nice. When I visit I want you and Nash to give me a lesson on snares.

Travis
Travis do you use that 7mm08 on elk also? Im thinking of going that route for a lighter wieght than my almost 10 pound 280AI. Not looking at a true light weight but something around 7 or so.

I have never killed an elk. Matter of fact, I think that was the second time I'd ever bothered looking for one.

Mine is Howa ultra-light or whatever that action is referred to. It now has a Brux #3 cut @ 20". Sako Classic pattern, standard fill. Timney trigger, Talley LW's.

Weighs between 7.5 and 8lbs depending on scope and barrel.

Travis
That sounds just about perfect. Im really liking shorter handier rifles in smaller calibers.
That sounds just about perfect. Im really liking shorter handier rifles in smaller calibers.

Do they build them any other way???

grin

Travis
Nice. When I visit I want you and Nash to give me a lesson on snares.

Travis

I don't know if we're near good enough yet to give lessons. grin It's fun for sure though.. And snared coyotes are definitely the best ones to skin.

Anyone up at your camp killed any antlered game yet?
Just mini. We recovered his this morning.
[Linked Image]

Travis

Do they build them any other way???

grin
Only when the builder builds it to dang heavy.....LOL

Travis
If I was going to build something right now for deer and below it would be a Howa action, #2 Douglass, and McMillan Sako Hunter in EDGE fill. Chambering would be a 22-250 with a 1-8" twist. Barrel chopped @ 21".

If it was for more bigger stuff I'd make it a 7-08.

Whatever this is worth to you...

Travis
Sweet! Tell him I said congrats.. .223?
Will do.

Yep. When your dad buys my .222 Rem Mag, just load it full of 53gr. TSX's. grin

Travis
Will do.

Yep. When your dad buys my .222 Rem Mag, just load it full of 53gr. TSX's. grin

Travis

All right, I'll tell him.. grin

I need to try some in my '250... A buddy who's here right now likes them in his.
Oh yeah. Let 'er rip. Once we get them sighted in we just use them for deer season and then re-zero for the regular stuff.

A box or two goes a long ways.

Travis

Uber.

What ca'tridge?

7-08. 162gr. A-Max.

I swear that rifle is magic.

Travis

Travis how fast are you pushing those 162 grain amax in your 7mm-08? Planning to work up a load this spring with them in my 7mm-08 ackley
Oh yeah. Let 'er rip. Once we get them sighted in we just use them for deer season and then re-zero for the regular stuff.

A box or two goes a long ways.

Travis

I might have to pick some up next trip to Billings... It's too muddy now to make UPS to come out now...grin

Travis how fast are you pushing those 162 grain amax in your 7mm-08? Planning to work up a load this spring with them in my 7mm-08 ackley

I want to say they are pushing 2,600fps. I'd have to look. I have two loads, one with Vargay and one with RL 17 and they both hit within 1/2" of each other and if I recall correctly I was getting around 2,600fps.

Travis
I think your money on both, I just wish you could use a 22 cal for deer hunting here in CO. Been really looking hard at a 22- 250 with a 8 twist.
[Linked Image]
sold my early season coyotes today. Averaged $18/ea. frozen in the round. Had a couple at $25 and a couple at $10. Got a couple more Thursday and a couple on Fri. and a couple more yesterday.
[Linked Image]
they otter be moving in the morning.....

Yep... I think I'm gonna go on a combo hunt tomorrow.. Mulies are rutting, but coyotes are bound to be up and hunting, so can't pass that up.. I tagged along with a couple buddies today and one of them shot a decent 3x4 at 570 yds. It was a dang fun hunt.
[Linked Image]

Yep... I think I'm gonna go on a combo hunt tomorrow.. Mulies are rutting, but coyotes are bound to be up and hunting, so can't pass that up.. I tagged along with a couple buddies today and one of them shot a decent 3x4 at 570 yds. It was a dang fun hunt.

I know Im not telling you anything...but put a sneak on the gut pile....
What caliber did you use on the pterodactyl Huntsman? I sure miss living in the country and blasting vermin with whatever I had in the gunrack, 22-250 is rough on birds!
204. had it on the tractor for coyotes and seen the pid-jins on the cow shed roof.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Kinda schitty picture but it was getting dark and didn't want him doing to much jumping.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The pig hens are sure taking a beating!
trouble is, they're getting gunshy now.....grin

I have a couple beeves in the pens feeding them up. The pigeons from the abandoned place across the hiway have found the feed pile. I hate them chitting on the Corn Flakes....
Dang Don, those look way bigger than the pidgin's we have around here..

Laker, nice work! Another Bridger #2 catch?
Yep Ben another bridger #2 coyote

One of my favorites...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I was supposed to be calling coyotes but my plans got changed. 4 of us killed 8 birds so for out here in the last few years it was a great day. We should have all had a limit but a little rusty.

[Linked Image]
Pig hens and ditch parrots! I'm missing out! cry
Nebraska checking in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Pig hens and ditch parrots! I'm missing out! cry

Ive never heard them called ditch parrots. I need to get out more
Went coyote calling while Nash was off slaying cow elk this afternoon, drew a total blank.. Also checked one of my snare lines, but nothing had been through since the snowfall...

Good job on the 'parrots and coons fellers..

One of my favorites...

[Linked Image]

He deserves that after tracking up the GTO.
That cat picture is one of the best I've ever seen.

It was Steve Timm who once wrote you could always tell a feral cat because "they're the ones that usually have pretty collars and little trinkets dangling from them."

Travis
[Linked Image]
I think pidgins are the new prairie dog... grin

Need to get the whoregnat in on the action.
Looks like them pidgins need to move back to da hood!
Ronnie
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Uber.
[Linked Image]
Lemme guess, cowbird?
Dunno. There was a whole flock of them took off outta the feed bunks. I only got 1....

Came by the pens later and a pair of pigeons flew up. Nailed one, missed one. The missed one flew around for a while and landed in a cottonwood. I run back to the truck and grabbed the 204. All I found was his azz and a wing....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I then took a walk up the creekbottom...
[Linked Image]
Got in three stands this morning. -17 degrees and no wind made for some nice calling weather. First stand had a dog hang up at 800 yards and wouldn't come any closer. Must have seen something he didn't like. Second stand had a single come in and my friend drilled him in the head with his 243. Final stand had a triple come in but only managed to get one with the 17 tactical launchin 25 grain bergers. If we had been sitting beside each other we would have gotten two of them but my friend was facing downwind and never seen them. Top dog was 17 tactical and bottom one was 243. The bottom dogs fur looks terrible in the picture but he was just that dirty. I don't know what he was digging in but brushed him and he actually had a pretty nice pelt.
[Linked Image]
Got in three stands this morning. -17 degrees and no wind made for some nice calling weather. First stand had a dog hang up at 800 yards and wouldn't come any closer. Must have seen something he didn't like. Second stand had a single come in and my friend drilled him in the head with his 243. Final stand had a triple come in but only managed to get one with the 17 tactical launchin 25 grain bergers. If we had been sitting beside each other we would have gotten two of them but my friend was facing downwind and never seen them. Top dog was 17 tactical and bottom one was 243. The bottom dogs fur looks terrible in the picture but he was just that dirty. I don't know what he was digging in but brushed him and he actually had a pretty nice pelt.
[Linked Image]
Nice job Laker... I went out this afternoon and pulled my last few steel traps. They were all froze down but 1... Nothin' but cable out now.

Don, are eating them fox skwerrels?
Nice job Laker.

Travis
Anyone have any idea what Montana coyotes might bring this year?
To early to tell yet but my guess is the heavy pale coyotes will bring good money but I don't think they will be as high as prices have been last couple years. But who knows
[Linked Image]
Huntsman I wouldn't want to be bugs bunny in your part of the world
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good job Don.. Glad to see that little call is still in use. cool
I had to show ya I haven't lost it yet.
That's why I sent it with a string.... grin
[Linked Image]
I reckon a shoulder mount is outta the question.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nephew scores Bambi's dad!

DMc
this ain't the deer forum. and quit trying to steal shraps thunder.....
Ooops, my bad. Won't happen again!

DMc

Did I ever post the picture of the deer I got on the way home from the range?

[Linked Image]
enabler....
I found a roadkill on the way to the range.
[Linked Image]
back on track.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The .25-20 is proving to be an UBER meat getter....

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman
That little .25-20 is a wonderful loafing rifle. Had one in the 1894 Marlin.. Should have never let my elk hunting buddy talk me out of it.. Enjoy..
I'm a 25-20 fan too. Fun little cartridge.
The .25-20 is proving to be an UBER meat getter....

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

Ben, is that a take-down?

Bunnies is good! laugh
Yep, it's a takedown... Pretty slick little rig. .25-20 is such a pleasurable little round to shoot. Maybe I should stunt shoot my deer next year with it....grin I've got a friend who's a rancher out here, and his grandpa's go-to rifle was a .25-20 '92, and he killed just about everything in Eastern Montana with that back in the old days... That rifle could tell some stories.
Did some gopher shooting one day with an old Savage bolt action in .25-20....it was indeed a nice little round to shoot.
I know a Lion hunter that uses an old Winchester pump gun in 25-20 to dispatch treed Cats.
I've wanted one every since I saw his but I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at a lever gun.

Let me guess,,,, those Bunny's ended up in a meat pie. smile
Charlie, not yet, but they're headed there shortly... grin A pump .25-20 would be slick.

Ingwe, I didn't know there were any bolt action .25-20's made. When would it have been made(roughly)? '20's or so?
That's the one you let me shoot right?

That thing was bad ass once I figured out what the lever thing underneath does.

Travis
Travis is still under the influence of anesthesia...
That's the one you let me shoot right?

That thing was bad ass once I figured out what the lever thing underneath does.

Travis

Yes, it's the same one.. When you come out here, I'll let Mini-flave shoot a rabbit with it, unless you think that would corrupt him.
He can have a turn.

After me.

Travis
[Linked Image]
Where did you find that squirrel in Idaho?

Seriously.
There's quite a few of them in this part of ID. (Clearwater County, about half way between Orofino and Lewiston)
Nothing like the south but there's pockets of them.
I have about a dozen living on my place so I thought I'd see what they taste like. Never killed or ate a Squirrel before.
I also have a Grouse I killed yesterday and I plan to shoot a Cottontail either this evening or early tomorrow. They should be edible after that hard freeze last week.
Gonna make me a multi-meat pot pie. smile
Cool beans. The squirrel tastes like rabbit, only more of the same flavor. Are they protected there or like here, considered an invasive specie?
[Linked Image]

Lucky varmint....(you, not the squirrel grin)

I miss hunting limb bacon..
I wasn't sure so I looked it up.
They're considered unprotected like Coyotes so you can shoot them whenever you want.
No season, no limits.
I don't know anyone that hunts em though.

These are feeding on my Plumb/Prune trees and a neighbors Walnuts so hopefully they'll taste good.
Check out this "City Chicken" Ben.... grin

[Linked Image]

The Daisy 880 is Uber-quiet wink
Field Grade: be aware if they are over about 1.5 years old, its easier to chew through a Michelin steel belted radial. Those ones are for the crock pot/pressure cooker/pot pie.
The younger ones are for the frying pan. I parboil mine for just a few minutes in with a couple onions, roll in flour/salt/pepper and fry in butter

[Linked Image]

Make a gravy out of the dripping and serve with your choice of potatoes.

I literally cannot think of a meal that I consider as better than that! laugh
Check out this "City Chicken" Ben.... grin

[Linked Image]

The Daisy 880 is Uber-quiet wink

Laffin'... laugh

Come to think of it, I've been seeing some nests down on my neighbor's place.. Mebbe he'll let me take my little barker call down there after big game season's over..
I did not see the heads in that pan! They was good eating when i was a kid. Flour, fry then crack open with a spoon to eat the brains!
Ronnie
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
I did not see the heads in that pan! They was good eating when i was a kid. Flour, fry then crack open with a spoon to eat the brains!
Ronnie

I know folks back in IN who do that.. Never could bring myself to eat brains though.

Bad day for rabbits...

[Linked Image]

Field Grade: be aware if they are over about 1.5 years old, its easier to chew through a Michelin steel belted radial.

Uh Oh,,,, I think this one's pretty old.
The dogs had two of em in a tree out front. I shot at a smaller one and missed. Then I saw this one and shot it. Sounds like I'd have been better off with the first one.

I kinda feel bad for killing the poor little fella, he had a set of balls twice the size of anyone in DC. (Well,,, cept for Pelosi)

I cut most of the meat off the bone,,, think I should par boil it before putting it in the pot-pie?

Oh,,, and happy birthday Ben!!!!
If you just stick the whole dressed and skinned squirrel in the crock pot with some chicken stock the meat will peel off the bone easy in a few hours...
I already boned it (as best I could) but I'll do that with the meat.
I usually make pot pie with chicken that I brown or bake first but I'll give the Squirrel meat some extra pre cooking.
Gotta get me a Rabbit first though. I usually have a few running around my place in the mornings but not today. Looks like I'll have to put my boots on and actually go looking for one.
I wuv wabbits! grin

Cooked the same way.....
this ain't the fugging cooking forum....
I hope you are cooking and eating your bunnies and squirrels Don.

If not, I may have to fart in your general direction!
I hope you are cooking and eating your bunnies and squirrels Don.

If not, I may have to fart in your general direction!

"Buzzards gotta eat..." -Josey Wales

grin
Well, when my farts kill Don, we will leave him out for the buzzards..... laugh

Bunnies and skwerls are too good to waste....
sniff, sniff.....What is that?......
[Linked Image]
hey Tom, the boys may want to try some limb chicken chowder. Them western rabbits and squills would work.....maybe prairie dogs too, just sayin.......whistle grin

maddog
Anybody that doesn't like that chowder needs to be shot.
Here's a link, (pun intended) for making terrific (uber)critter sausage!!!

Critter sausage

DMc
Made 6 sets with my neighbor today... Called one in close, but I couldn't get on him in time. Saw another one way across a drainage at a different set, and he started to come in at a good pace, but he disappeared when he started to go downwind, so I figgered he'd winded me, but when we pulled down the trail a ways, there was a pickup down in the drainage, so I'd say them being there messed us up. Oh well, we'll get them next time... It was good to get some coyotes to come in at least..
Good job Ben. I've been doin' good on callin' in dogs this year. Looking forward to late winter.

Travis
These 4 got a ride home today. Shot two others, one had bad mange and couldn't find the other.
[Linked Image]
TR, you doing the contest out here?
nope, on call that weekend.
Good job TR.. Nice looking coyotes.
No fur, but a dead critter varmint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
'Possum on the half-shell!

And Don with another fuzzy eared squirrel...whats up with those ears?
That's just a middle age squirrel. The hair is migrating from his head to his ears. grin
That's hilarious!

DMc
laugh
That's just a middle age squirrel. The hair is migrating from his head to his ears. grin

Thanks,,,, I needed a good chuckle.
Tomorrow is opening day of 'cat season here in Montucky.

I can't wait to put some of these....

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

...into places like this.... grin

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

Ben
Rub it in why don't ya.

I'm still two weeks out. frown
[Linked Image]
one from this morning
Rub it in why don't ya.

I'm still two weeks out. frown

whistle whistle

Are you running all 550's this year?

Nice yote 16penny.
Yes,,, 550's only.
Still need to clean, dye, and wax the new ones but I've got plenty of time.

Matter of fact, I haven't even done the old ones yet. LOL
Some say I procrastinate but I'm not sure about that so I'll have to think about it for a while and get back to you.
Well don't feel too bad.. I've still got a couple dozen Victor #3 4 coils that I haven't cleaned yet.

Next year, I'd like to try some Bridger #3 dogless.. They look pretty skookum.
I've never looked at the #3 Bridgers but I just sold all of my #2's. I might just be to stupid to figure it out but I could never get the dogs adjusted enough to get the pans flat on em.
I've heard that changing em out to posi pans fixes the problem but I just sold em and bought 550's that come with posi's.

550's cost a little more but no modifying, laminating, night latching, or changing pans.
Hell, I don't even adjust the pan tension. Just clean em and set em.
.219 Zipper scored yesterday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I've never looked at the #3 Bridgers but I just sold all of my #2's. I might just be to stupid to figure it out but I could never get the dogs adjusted enough to get the pans flat on em.
I've heard that changing em out to posi pans fixes the problem but I just sold em and bought 550's that come with posi's.

550's cost a little more but no modifying, laminating, night latching, or changing pans.
Hell, I don't even adjust the pan tension. Just clean em and set em.

That's why I love my Montgomery's and Montana's... No dog to mess with. I would really like to try some 550's and 650's as well though.

Hung a few more snares in "catty" areas along my main snare line.. Found some fresh tracks, hopefully I'll have him before long. Eating some beans right now, then I'm back out to make more sets.. smile

Nice yote Fireball....
Nice one Roy, glad ya Bloodied the zipper!
[Linked Image]
Damn, Don...........the critters on your ranch have a very solid reproductive plan in place. Never seen anything quite like your bottomless pit of furry targets!
I think he'd look good stuffed.
Ronnie
I'll send him to ya.....
Nice Woodsman and porkie Don.. You pulling the guard hairs from them?

Made 7 new cat sets today, and shot a fat rabbit, but the dang computer ain't working right, so no pics.
took the new to me drilling out today chasing squirels
Ronnie
[Linked Image]
I'll send him to ya.....

bet he would be tender time he got here!
Ronnie
That's a cool picture Fortyone..
that fourth one is a fat sumbish.....
That's a cool picture Fortyone..

Thanks! That was recently acquired from here on the fire.
Ronnie
that fourth one is a fat sumbish.....

Shot him out of the top of a hickernut tree!
Ronnie
all we got is cottonwoods, so no grays. This'un never did see me. He run up, and around a tree looking at the dog. hit him in the neck and out the earhole.....

[Linked Image]
all we got is cottonwoods, so no grays. This'un never did see me. He run up, and around a tree looking at the dog. hit him in the neck and out the earhole.....

[Linked Image]

but them red ones is are nice! rare sight around here.
ronnie
went out this morning with the drilling again, got 5 more, one was after the photo
Ronnie
[Linked Image]
some were old fellers
[Linked Image]
cool
Good job guys... That drilling sure looks like a fun hunting gun.

Don, love that Marlin. I think that's the only one like that I've ever seen.
there isn't a lot of 1894M's around, and it hadn't been out in a while...
It's a shame too.
Nash got this coyote in a snare last night.....

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

It's his birthday today so it was sort of an early present.... grin
Cool. That one looks haired out good!
Cool. That one looks haired out good!

No kidding!

Good job and happy birthday Nate.
dammit, now ingwe gots you doing it.....
laugh

It is a nice fluffy critter for sure.
Good fly tying material. Great for tying nymphs.
Three stands yesterday. One dog.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Nice big pale dude!
Sumbitch was huge!

(That's what she said)

Travis
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

might have to take a bigger gun down, to see if I can knock his azz outta the fork.....
Ben,

What did you get Nash for his birthday?

Travis
Three stands yesterday. One dog.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Neat rifle, is it one of those Gamo Whispers??

I got Nash a dozen snares for his birthday..

<SNORK!>
bwahaha.....
took two 95 grain vmaxes to knock the pine-Q-pore out of the tree....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm gonna tell Downstream you're turning into a smart ass....

Travis
I'm kinda aware of him having that tendency, I been waitin for a good time to ask you where you think he might have picked that up from. Hmmm?
Apology to Don for straying from the purity of this thread by not posting pictures of any fresh dead varmints. I promise not to let this happen again. By the way, that porky looks like he had a mighty hard fall.
Don you do anything with those porkys or just leave them lay? We used to shoot everyone we seen (hated pulling them quills out of a curious cows face) and I used to pluck the guard hairs. Used to have a guy that would pay me $15 an ounce for the guard hair. Not sure what he did with it but I liked the cash. Ive heard of them making flys and paintbrushes with it.
I toss them on a bait pile with a game camera on it. It is a lasered 200 yds from the corner of my garage. Just about all pics on it are in the dead of night when I'm fast asleep......
Originally Posted by Downstream
I'm kinda aware of him having that tendency, I been waitin for a good time to ask you where you think he might have picked that up from. Hmmm?

I'm sure it's just a phase...

Travis
Note exited 15.9gr JSB Diablo pellet stuck in the fence......

[Linked Image]
A sense of humor and a particularly quick wit are signs of intelligence. Ben has both.

Travis is a Pollock.

'Nuff said.

grin
Is that from a Gamo Whisper like deflave's?........
(hated pulling them quills out of a curious cows face)

Cows are easy. They fit down the alley into the squeezer......
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
(hated pulling them quills out of a curious cows face)

Cows are easy. They fit down the alley into the squeezer......
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can keep those ornery bastids
Is that from a Gamo Whisper like deflave's?........

No springers for me....

Benjamin Discovery .22.... 15.9s at 820ish for about 18 shots/fill. Fill with a hand pump. It's put a half-dozen good meals on the table this fall....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nash has struck..... grin

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman
Da' Nasher.

Travis
He doesn't mess around.... grin
laugh
Ol' Nate's(grin) timing is off. Thanksgiving is over....
Thats looking like a Xmas turkey... grin
I don't know if it'll last that long.. He was really wanting it tonight, but Mom already had deer meat cooking...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

First cat of the season! Caught it today in a cubby set. I'm tickled with it..

Sorry about the bluritude, I'm having to improvise.. mad

Ben
dogless monty?
NICE CAT Ben!!!
With all due respect Ben,,,,,, YOU SUCK!

That's OK though,,,, I've got big plans when our Cat season opens next Sunday.

Found some fresh Bear scat about three feet from my money tree.
Think an MB550'll hold a Bear? eek

[Linked Image]

Thanks guys...

Don, you betcha.. I 4 coiled, base plated, and laminated it this summer.. It's a stout trap for sure. Dogless traps are by far my favorites.

Charlie, grin... 550 might hold a b'ar, they are stout little things. Do you ever try exposed cat sets?
Do you ever try exposed cat sets?

No, but I stink up the place pretty good so to at least try and avoid Coyotes.

My buddy down in NV uses exposed sets and he catches ALLOT of Cats.
He uses trail sets though,,, I use dirt holes exclusively.

Maybe I should leave em exposed this year. I'd really be pissed if a Bear bent up one of my shiney new 550's.
Awesome job Ben.

That's bad ass.

Travis
Something fishy here. I thought this was the DEAD varmint thread. How do we know that ol' fat Benny didn't turn that varmint loose?
His dad is kinda soft...
greed?......
Originally Posted by Downstream
Something fishy here. I thought this was the DEAD varmint thread. How do we know that ol' fat Benny didn't turn that varmint loose?

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman
Thanks guys.... cool

Charlie, I've been running most of my cat sets exposed, and am really liking them. Nice to have no worries about freeze down. This cat was caught in an exposed set. I didn't even have a shingle on the pan.

Ben
how come these pics are all 'dottie' like?
how come these pics are all 'dottie' like?

Because our real computer got a virus from this site, and I've not been able to upload to it, and have been taking pictures of my camera's screen with the iPad.... crazy UBER frustrating.
...Because our real computer got a virus from this site, and I've not been able to upload to it, and have been taking pictures of my camera's screen with the iPad.... crazy UBER frustrating.

Could someone please enlighten me who, and what kind of person has the time, maliciousness, and where-with-all to embed viruses onto websites? Isn�t this a crime? What do they gain from doing so?

DMc
Originally Posted by DMc
...Because our real computer got a virus from this site, and I've not been able to upload to it, and have been taking pictures of my camera's screen with the iPad.... crazy UBER frustrating.

Could someone please enlighten me who, and what kind of person has the time, maliciousness, and where-with-all to embed viruses onto websites? Isn�t this a crime? What do they gain from doing so?

DMc

The one we got is some kind of ransom ware thing and "they" told us they had everything saved off our computer and to pay $500 and we'd get it back.. And to be fair to 24HC, I'm not positive it came from the 'fire... But I'm pretty sure it did. It's more than a little infuriating. Thankfully I have a bunch of pictures saved on Flickr and photobucket.

Sorry for the de-rail Don.... whistle
This website sucks but it's the only place people will interact with me so I keep logging on.

Travis
Yeah Ben. Good luck NOT getting infected from this site, especially if you are using anything Microsoft..

I finally had to switch to an Apple, and they have gone un-infected for over two years now. Had LOTS of trouble prior to this.
Bobcat season is starting out with a bang...Up to two already..

Both are victims of snowshoe number 1..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Really nice cat there Santiam....
fooled this pair, both males, this morning. Took their dear old sweet time coming to me, but I don't care how fast they come as long as they come, and then don't leave.
[Linked Image]
Nice shootin TR!

Nash picked up another on his snare line this morning... It's the nicest one we've got all year I think..

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman
As always, you buys are getting it done Ben!
Even with avast installed I picked up a bug my IT specialist couldn't resolve. Worse than a rootkit. I threw the "Hail Mary" and cleared it to his amazement.

I guess some here consider GFYing as "interaction"......

I have mostly gave up on deer for the year and hope to post some pics of fur here soon.
Originally Posted by Santiam
Bobcat season is starting out with a bang...Up to two already..

Both are victims of snowshoe number 1..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice kitties. What are you shooting there, a B-mag?
17 Hornet...Great little gun...
Nice shootin TR!

Nash picked up another on his snare line this morning... It's the nicest one we've got all year I think..

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

Nice work. Whats that make your total up to this year?
Nice work. Whats that make your total up to this year?

6, I believe..
Number three for the year..Kinda small,but eyes are hard to judge in the dark...LOL

[Linked Image]

Texas Varmints
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
sweet. poison and peckerary's.
sweet. poison and peckerary's.

Plainly but perfectly put

laugh
DMc
Nice pics guys... 6MM, I'm glad all those pizzenous varmints have gone under up here..

Shot this red on the way home from town today.. He looks pretty rough in the picture, but I got him hung up and combed and cleaned him up some.. He's gonna look real nice on a stretcher tomorrow..grin

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

Ben
Nice Fox Ben.
I kinda miss the opaque pix though. grin

Those suckers are all tail.
I've never skinned one but from the looks of the few Reds I've seen, it would appear that it takes longer to strip the tail than to skin the carcass.
Nice Red indeed Ben. You are one up on me....Ive never killed a fox!
huh? you should have put more than 2 on the Ark....
I should have, but I never did. I plan on rectifying that in Tejas next month.....
yeah, but those grays aren't as handsome, and don't smell as sweet.
[Linked Image]
Poor bunny....
Looks like you guys are keeping the varmint population under control. Meanwhile, Im living over here on the Rez where I can't kill coyotes and I live in some primo coyote land about half a mile from Kicking Horse Reservior. Christmas vacation starts the 24th for us and we are headed to Choteau...I am having withdrawls not getting to kill coyotes. Im homesick and looking forward to getting back home. Keep the pictures comin guys!
Last Friday my father and I went crow hunting and were able to bag three. It was the first time we have been able to kill a crow while purposely hunting them. I had a very good feeling after arriving at the field and seeing a few hundred crows in the field. Unfortunately we only had a box of shells between us and decided to go home to pick up more. When we returned most of the crows had pull a disappearing act. Only saw about 30 or so crows after arriving. Any how it was fun.
Thanks guys .. I'm going to have to attempt to re-attach his tail.. cry Real bummer whenever that happens. And it turned out really nice to boot, other than the tail. frown

But I did call in a double of coyotes this morning, and got one. smile I believe my coyote calling slump is waning. I only was calling for maybe 10 minutes, tops. I hit the serenade on my Foxpro as soon as I got all set up(I did have hand calls with me, if that makes it better) and instantly had two howling at me. I switched over to challenge howls, and down the hill they came, on the run. They stopped about halfway down, at maybe 450 yds, and then I turned on the ki-yi. They kicked it in another gear when the heard that! But as soon as they got to the bottom of the coulee, they started up my hill, and I figured they'd smell me for sure. Sure enough, I heard one start doing that dreaded "Yer busted!" bark.. I was pretty bummed then, but could see patches of the coyote once or twice through the cedars and junipers, and hoped it would head back down to the bottom. It did, and when it stepped out into the clear at about 200, it stopped and was standing there barking, but I silenced her right away.. Shot her once through the lungs, and had to do one more in the neck to finish her off. Fur damage was next to none, which is good, because it's a really nice coyote...

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

Then, when I got home, Nash and I ran his snares, and he had a beeeg old male.. smile (How's this picture Charlie? grin)

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

All in all, it was a good day. cool

Ben
Dam!!!!!! That thing's huge!
You might want to call around to the local agencies and see if anyone's missing a police dog.
Hope Ingwe don't see this.

Oh,,, and thanks for fixing the pic. Much better. grin
Dam!!!!!! That thing's huge!
You might want to call around to the local agencies and see if anyone's missing a police dog.
Hope Ingwe don't see this.

No kidding! You could have called that dog in by just yelling German Names like "Kaiser!" " Bismark" or "Kilo".... grin

You might have to give me calling lessons Ben, sounds like you know a lot more about it than me....
Congrats to you and Nasharino.

Those are both nice dogs.

Unloaded the Benelli on a red fox last Saturday while I was bird hunting. He must have been further than I realized because he never missed a beat.

Travis

PS- Reds are faster than labs. But at least he tried.
it's a really nice coyote...
you can say that again. Both are real nice looking.
throwback thursday......
alla these pics of Nash and Ben remind me of the olden days when I were a young sprout liken them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks guys.. Don, great pics! Nice cats! I see you like using #4 double long springs too.. It stinks that you can only use cage traps down there nowadays, but I guess you knew that.. blush
You can use footholds on private land with a permit.
Our Cat season started Sunday.
So far I've been Skunked.

[Linked Image]

BTW,,,, Hawbackers claims their Wildcat #1 won't attract stinkers because they don't use catnip. confused
Oops,,,, I almost forgot,,,, this is the "dead" critter thread.

[Linked Image]
Don, that's good to hear..

Charlie, glad you're cat trapping. If you want to try out out some new lure, you might want to give Weiser's Super Cat a try. Cain't say if it's skonk proof though..grin. Nice K22...
I catch allot of Cats with Hawbackers.
I just thought it was funny that they'd make a claim like that.
No big deal. Free lure as far as I'm concerned.
That one's resting peacefully at the base of a pine tree with just his tail above ground and a couple of 550's nearby to keep him safe from grave robbers. wink
[Linked Image]
Some of you might remember my son got a mtcur pup for his birthday almost a year ago from RDfirenut that he posted for sale in the classified here, well, she is about 13 months old now and coming along pretty well. Here's one her and my fiest Rebel treeded tonight. Between the dogs and his traps my sons fur is starting to accumulate.
Fieldgrade, hopefully you'll start seeing spots instead of stripes in your traps soon!
Originally Posted by willecoyote
Fieldgrade, hopefully you'll start seeing spots instead of stripes in your traps soon!

I sure hope so.

Congrats on today's Coon.
I chuckled the other day when you told me your son has four weeks worth of hunting and trapping planned for his two week Christmas break. I'd say he's on track to get it done though.
Oh,,, to be young again.

Oh,,, to be young again.

Tell me about it! I guess it keeps me young keeping up with his ambitious spirit but some days it just makes me feel old!
Same here...its why I like hearing Ben and Nash's exploits...they remind me of somebody... whistle
throwback thursday......
alla these pics of Nash and Ben remind me of the olden days when I were a young sprout liken them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice hats, I mean cats, grin
Verminator buddy was out this weekend and we harassed the coyotes pretty hard. I didn't get to shoot but 4 of these, but I still had a blast. Wish they all looked like the near coyote.
[Linked Image]
WOW!

Good fun times! laugh
TR, did you hit them north of me recently? reason I'm asking is they haven't been to the bait camera in 2 weeks.....
TR I look forward to seeing these in the next DVD.
Awesome! I dream of killin coyotes like that!
Dadgum TR, you all stacked them up! Good job!
And is that a GoPro on the side of your rifle? grin
TR, did you hit them north of me recently?
yeah, killed 2 of the three that we called in a few weeks ago. Left one for seed, or you, which ever comes first. wink
Yes that is a Gopro on the rifle. The verminator will be putting out another video featuring a new electronic call with all verminator sound library, in the not too far off future. His sounds are working, as evidence, dead coyotes.. grin
Nothing in the snares today, a little snow would help out a bunch. At least my calls still work. Sako Riihimaki in 222 and 50gr V-Max.

[Linked Image]
Nice pale dog, and done old school! cool
elk, First a Newton , and now a Riihimaki with an old slow twist in .222.. Who would have thought that would kill a coyote!! Some fine guns and a nice dog.. Thanks..
elk, First a Newton , and now a Riihimaki with an old slow twist in .222...

The blue tape is modern, though. wink
Thank you! I do get a kick out of the older guns.

Caught my first coyote in a snare this morning.

[Linked Image]
Nice work.. Keep us posted.. Saw 2 this am, but they gave me the slip.. But they will be back and so will I.. Great time of year..
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Thank you! I do get a kick out of the older guns.

Caught my first coyote in a snare this morning.

[Linked Image]

Great job! What snare set-up are you running?
Thanks Ben. I'm using 1x19 1/16" cable with camlocks and Senneker's triggers and kill springs. First one I've caught, but I'm really happy with the way things are working.
went out with brother Bill on Tuesday for some jack hopper chasing using my new to me 30wcf mod 64 Winchester
[Linked Image]

Sweet! Love the Model 64s!

You being in Utah...a bit of trivia for you, when gary gilmore was executed by firing squad, guess what rifles they were using?

Win model 64s! laugh
I new it was 30/30's but didn't know about mod 64's,cool thanks
Very nice 64..
Well I'm sort of bummed...had a cat work one of my sets last night or this morning, but pack rats had eaten the rabbit haunch I had hanging for flag behind the trap, so the cat didn't go in the final 10-12 inches it needed to get caught... mad It wasn't a big track, but still, it's frustrating.
the packrats are gonna catch hell now....
the packrats are gonna catch hell now....

Yeah, I hate those buggers.... grin

I'm thinking about taking along a couple rat traps and setting them. Out of reach of any cat I catch, of course.
Caught another one this morning. I could see where another one saw something it didn't like and turned around.

[Linked Image]
Hope this works made some changes in my site.. Looks ok.. The pelt wasn't as nice as I had hoped..

[Linked Image]
That looks like a nice pale elkchsr! grin
got a late start to the calling today, but managed to find a few.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Dinged one that I under estimated the distance on. I suppose I nicked it low but it wasn't leavin' enough blood behind to make me believe I killed it.
Dude! You are getting' it done! laugh
TR, you over on Hendersons?
[Linked Image]

big mangy female from last night. Major bummer. On the plus side the 17 Rem dropped her in her tracks.
Hendersons? Nope, off of Ridgeroad.
Great pictures guys!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cute little varmint... Immature red?
prairie swift
Got me a bonus varmint as I was shooting ditch parrots in SD last week. Sumbitch latched onto my uncle's shorthair while we were looking for a dead rooster in a cattail slough. I broke them up three times but one or the other would charge back in and get back after it. Dang coon was whooping the piss outta that little shorthair too, I don't think she ever got a shot in. I found my rooster in the process and held rooster and shorthair in my left hand while I administered an ounce and a quarter of 4s with my right out of my Browning Twelvette.

[Linked Image]

Hell of a rodeo and added a coon to the incidental coyotes, one fox, a bobcat, skunks, possums, and dillers I've shot while hunting quail or pheasants.
Now that's multitasking!
I hope that shorthair had his rabies shot just in case.
Headed out to finally get the snare line out and couldn't pass up a good stand. Gotta love the 17 tactical with 25 grain Berger for no fur damage. Picture doesn't show it but has an awesome pelt but is covered in cockaburrs from his head to the tip of his tail. Going to be fun getting all of them out.

[Linked Image]
He's sure nicely colored Laker, good job.. I hate cockleburs too. We have a bunch around here.
[Linked Image]

Cute little varmint... Immature red?

Don, is there any difference between the Kit Fox and the Swift Fox?

I'm told the biologists say they're the same. But these fox on the high plains have a bit different ear, and color than the kits down in the pinion country south of me.
Thanks Don
another midnight NY dog. Hit this one as he was leaving. He made a 100yd dash through the hedgerow and I found him (luckily) in the open hayfield on the other side. 38lbs.

[Linked Image]
Ooops....

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

Wish these varmints knew to stay out of bobcat sets.... crazy

Also downloaded some "app" to make those static-y pics more tolerable...
better them, than holding a bear.....
the 'app' makes them look like some kid painted it.....
Gee Ben...I sure hope that lion was OK.... whistle

They usually are better than OK rolled in flour, S&P and fried like a pork chop......
Here Don, is this better? wink

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

Ingwe, I am really looking forward to trying lion. I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about it. Maybe lion pot pie.... grin
the dots are kinda growing on me.
Is that a long spring? How did it hold up?

Did ya get to take it home with you, or do you have to release them?
I wouldn't know what to do if I walked up and saw that!
Nothing in the snares this morning, but it looks like there was something moving. cool I couldn't get them to howl back but it wasn't for lack of effort.

[Linked Image]
Awesome pic Ben!

Travis
[s][/s]My buddy down in NV's 14yo son had this one waiting for him on his first trap check his first year running his own line before school.

Hell of a way to start a trapping career.

[Linked Image]
Crumpst almighty.

I wouldn't know how to release it without darting it first.

I like my liver on my inside.
Charlie, that's an awesome picture.. Nevada would be fantastic to trap.

Davet, it was an exposed #4 double long spring.. He or another that was with him sprung a Northwoods #3 and a Bridger #2 before getting caught in the dls...

Downstream was wishing he had a longer snare pole...

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

Elk, cool track... Glad we don't have to deal with those buggers over here. Also, off topic, but I remember meeting you at 4Bee's in 2002, back when Downstream was Twodot... smile

Will, it was real fun taking that trap off, after watching how fast it could swipe with it's other paw.. Next time, the game warden will get to do the dirty work..laffin'!

Travis, thanks.
Cats are easy to kill when trying to hold em with a catch pole.
My buddy uses a piece of plywood with a notch cut out that fits over the foot.
The Cat's on one side of the plywood, you and the trapped foot are on the other side.

I released a small Bobcat once with a catch pole and dam near killed it getting it done so I made me a piece of plywood with a notch and a couple of handles on "my" side.
Haven't used it yet and hope I never have to. Messing with a live Bobcat no matter how small isn't for the faint of heart.
Can't imagine what a growed Lion's like. eek
Cats are easy to kill when trying to hold em with a catch pole.
My buddy uses a piece of plywood with a notch cut out that fits over the foot.
The Cat's on one side of the plywood, you and the trapped foot are on the other side.

I released a small Bobcat once with a catch pole and dam near killed it getting it done so I made me a piece of plywood with a notch and a couple of handles on "my" side.
Haven't used it yet and hope I never have to. Messing with a live Bobcat no matter how small isn't for the faint of heart.
Can't imagine what a growed Lion's like. eek

last winter I helped a buddy release a fisher that got caught in one of his coyote sets using the notched plywood method. t worked quite well, and the fisher ran off through the woods upon being freed.

not sure I would want to try it on one of those big cats...

as mentioned I like all my parts as they are
I'd love to cotch a fisher. And a wolvereenie. That would complete my weasel family Grand Slam.....

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

Tell me someone got that on video? I'd almost pay to see that one. I'm guessing there would be a whole lot of (beeps) mixed in though. LOL grin
Charlie, I think the plywood would work very well. I'm going to dispatch all of my bobcats with a 'pole, if possible this year... It's very nice to not have any blood to deal with.

Bassi, nope, should've though. And there wasn't too much bleeping going on, honest..
Well guys, what do you think? Time for the 2015 dead varmint thread?

Here's the last coyote of the year for me. Water head, but oh well. Put a dirt hole set in the catch circle. Coyote tracks everywhere, hopefully I'll have another in a day or two.

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman

[Linked Image]
image by mtcurman
I'm going to dispatch all of my bobcats with a 'pole, if possible this year... It's very nice to not have any blood to deal with.

Dispatch pole's nice but a snare's easier to carry in your pocket.
Couple wraps around a stick (or you can carry a piece of wire if you're in the desert where there's no stix, slip it over his head, and give em a tug. Or even better, if there's limb handy, hang em. They go out fast,,,30 seconds tops.
I still carry my gun for Coyotes but the way I make my sets I hardly ever catch one.

ya don't get many full bladders with a chokestick....
ya don't get many full bladders with a chokestick....

I don't use a chokestick,,,, I use a chokecable. smile

I usually get some pee. Never did a comparison though so I can't say.
I've got a buddy who swears by using a snare, but I like this chokepole awful well. I don't keep the urine anyways, but I really ought to.
full bladder, shoulder and hind leg glands along with the azzhole, sure makes good gland lure.....
Well I'm going out to skin right now, I'll try cutting them out. Be pretty kewl, catch a coyote on home brew lure.
hey mtcurman,

what do you mean when you said the coyote was a waterhead?

thanks
When neck snared, their heads get water between the skull and hide. Not near as fun to skin......
thanks for the explanation
It don't happen to all of them, just the ones that don't die fast...
Yep, Don said it perfectly.. This is the first one I've had all year. I got him on a board right now, he's a super nice looking coyote.. I'll get a picture of him when I turn the hide.
thanks again for the explanation.

I don't know anyone around here who snares.

other traps styles, calling and hounds are the typical methods in this part of the world, at least of what the folks I know use.
© 24hourcampfire