JJ<BR>Hate to say it, but I disagree with the whole works here. I gave a couple very long-winded versions of my approach on a thread under gunsmithing some time back. I believe 458 Lott was sending you that thread via an alternate route.<P>Oil, even cured oil, absorbs atmospheric water alarminly fast and then sheds it slowly. No oil seals water from any stock... ever.<P>I use a coat or two of epoxy under an oil finish. It looks like an oil finish, wears like an epoxy finish, seals like plastic, and repairs just like the oil finish it mostly is.<P>Part of the playing I have done with this involves finishing many hundreds of cubes of walnut with various finishes and weighing them very carefully under many different atmospheric conditoins, most of which are brought about in a steam box.<P>Oil finished wood absorbs water faster than bare wood... period.<P>Don't really want to start the kind of running engagement Mr Atkinson and I had in the last thread, but it is still available there.<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.