JJ: When you get the 400 done and then do a 600 or even 800 grit on top of that (JMHO, if you spend enough time with the 400 the 600 and 800 will not take long) wet the stock with water. You need to wetsand to get it smooth. When you wet it, you will feel the grain "raise" again as the water soaks in, and not be truely smooth. You need to just knock off the raised pores or when you finish it, it will be as rough as it feels when you hit it with water. You will know what I mean when you do this. Your fingers will tell ya when it is right.<BR> <BR>The color when wet is about what you will get when finished. I love doing this type of work and it has been interesting seeing the comments ...... and I want no part of the arguements. Sitka is right BUT if its a showy gun that will never see wet humid environments then the oil is easy to apply and hard to f*ck up. I have used poly's and very very hard two part epoxy's used to do countertops. That sh*t is hard as a rock and does not have to be glossy (I know you hate that) but is a royal pain in the ass to apply and get to looking good.<P>You have tons of advice here. Pick the one that sounds good and give it a go. Based on what you have said the gun will be subjected to a simple oil finish and a GOOD bedding job will work for you I am sure. Whatever finish you apply rememeber to have a good bedding job done. I am sure you know this..........<P>Good Luck <P>Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.