Sheister<BR>No hard feelings, anyone may believe what they wish. My background in wood technology is in the drying end of it as much as anywhere, and even patented a process used extensively in your area to dry difficult species.<P>If you have seen kiln-dried tanoak or madrone lumber on the market, it went through my process. Lots of other species get it as well.<P>I personally shudder to think about a stock built at 13% moisture content. Frankly, I question the accuracy of the meter used. HoW is it that lumber stored at my house, and houses and shops all over, produce wood which equalizes at 6-8%, yet the duplicator's doesn't? I would test the meter with a piece of similar wood (and do so on a regular basis) and see what is up. Simply test a small piece, weigh it, oven-dry it and reweigh it.<P>Realize too that a meter is measuring electrical resistance in a piece of wood, simply because the resistance is the same does not mean the wood is the same moisture content, it only gets you close.<P>You make a good point about the perception I'm making it sound like there is an open flood gate. Obviously the absorption and release of water is fairly slow, through the finish. But it is faster than when the wood is bare, when compared to an oil-finished stock. It is enough to cause plenty of problems in a fore-end prone to moving.<P>The concept of wood absorbing water vapor through the end grain only is entirely false, and actually weighted to the side grain when the extra surface area of the end grain is taken into account. Wood absorbs and releases water in all directions, but moves differentially in each direction, with changes in moisture.<P>As far as the finish you choose, realize that I am talking about the oil component of the finish. Most finishes have lots of plastic in them, but that does not have much effect on how the oil reacts in the finish.<P>Got guests at the door, will add more later.<P>Hope I am not annoying you Sheister, wish you could have made it up for that fishing trip, then you could have seen what I am talking about with my epoxy finish.<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.