Scot, I always finish up with ring lapping last. And since this weekend I'm going through and doing the entire pre-flight to this Kimber 84L (270 Win), thought I'd detail my ring lapping a bit more.

Honestly, I think with a Kimber it's an entirely optional step. Like I said, the receivers are so darn perfect! However, I dislike the amount of "pinch" Talley Lwt's have, and since that's what goes on most of my Kimbers, I always lap them. Heck, I lap all rings... it's the anal thing to do laugh

I start by taping off the receiver, and plugging any holes with cotton as I mentioned above... bedding compound wants to go everywhere!

[Linked Image]

I lap with 240 grit. It's important if doing both ring halves together (top and bottom) to keep the top rings consistent (even/parallel) to the lower rings while lapping to ensure an even lap. I continue to tighten the rings as I lap, and double check that the top rings are parallel fore and aft to the bottom rings:

[Linked Image]

When I feel I've gotten what I want, I remove all the screws and drop them into a jar of mineral spirits.

The next step is critical IMO... lapped rings are specific to their original location, so I remove the front ring, and with my exacto scratch a F-> on the inside of the ring... F = "Front Ring" and the arrow points towards the muzzle. Next I do the same to the rear with R->.

I clean the rings and screws with mineral spirits, and use bits of cotton ball wrapped on a toothpick and dipped in the spirits to clean the screw threads on the lower ring halves.

Lastly, I use a rattail file to bevel the sharp edge on the rings created by the lapping. I leave the saran wrap (or whatever) on the rifle during this part to keep all the filings from finding their way into the nooks and crannies of the action:

[Linked Image]

A bit more clean-up and the rifle is ready for a scope.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery