Should'a looked this up a week ago... Some good practices.

I don't know when or how they're doing it but a Pachmayr Decelerator Old English pad will compress when clamped and sometimes stay dimpled looking when the pressure is let off, no heat required. The fix is exactly as pictured. It also takes just the pin prick to shove a lubed screw thru there too, if one's into screwing rather than gluing. At olden day KoO there were many many trials to go with a screwed-on pad on the 89s. Just never would result in everything lined up 100% perfectly flush while 100% gap free on the end product. It took literally dozens of trials to show management, and a picky guy in the final assembly area, initials DC, that it was not a Machine Sanding - Hardware Department flaw. The trouble that spurred the testing was the taping required and the resultant lines or edges that can result using the spray-on finish, a 2k automotive clearcoat.

I was fairly satisfied with the pad on my Montana, it was perfectly shaped but with the plastic base just a hair uniformly undersize of the composite - real good tolerances, si muy bueno. I sanded my composite/paint down to match the plastic of the buttplate so I could tape off and paint to the rubber and not have a recessed band between the composite and the rubber, nor a ridge at the edge of the composite. The pads on wood stocks are, I surmise, still glued on then carved down in-place, ala machine sander, likely having finish over the plastic base, not like the Montana where the hard base is finish free.

There's several things about these rifles I did not realize, one is the great trigger. It adjusted down and performs perfectly satisfactorily. Glad this thread got back up.
Originally Posted by Brad
Couple more photos of two "preflight" items...
When Kimber assembles the Montana stocks, they're apparently (sometimes) adding the pads while the stock is still curing and producing heat. This sucks the air out of the recoil pad and "dimples" it. To make the dimples vanish, puncture the dimples with a heavy pin. Over time the pad will find its original shape. I haven't seen this problem in a while, but a lot of the older MT's had this issue.

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?