Originally Posted by dave284
Really neat looking job Brad. Looks way better than most of mine have turned out. One question. Do you check that the pillars are at the correct height so as not to induce stress into the action before going "farmer tight" on the screws?

Dave.

Dave, that's a good question, and frankly I'm not really sure how to answer it.

I suppose the way to say it is, with the action screws mating the action to the pillars, I've never had a Montana not have enough room all around it to allow an thin layer of epoxy while still bearing on and exposing the pillars. If there were a problem spot higher than either of the pillars, it wouldn't allow the bedding material.

... makes me wonder if in fact the Kimber slave action is not slightly oversized?

I will say, I once had a Rem Model 7 who's stock was so badly formed the bolt wouldn't run in the raceways without binding. Only when the action screws were completely lose would the bolt run free. Talk about "stressed"... That one went back to Remington!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery