From some years of hunting them( first encounter was early 84 or so IIRC) I can pass this on.

Ice them and keep on ice water is good for the meat. It wont' take away anything from the strong ones.

Our rule then ended up being, if they stink when you walk up to them, like piss or worse, to dump em. Never had one turn out good after that. The meat would be edible but the piss smell when you cooked it was bad... even made some into smoked hams... put it in the frying pan... puke....

So if they have balls, I"m suspect. If they are over 150 or so I'm suspect. If I can smell them when I walk up, no way in hell.

We've done boars over 200 with NO smell at all, balls intact, and the meat was fine.

I have no issue at all on them meat wise vs domestic, they are lean, lean is good for you too, but they eat just fine.

My preference.... find a sounder of 50 pounders or so that are dumb enough to let you knock out a handful and get after it...

Some pigs have tough meat even if aged... I have no clue why, but the skinnier they are the worse the issue it seems.

Corn fed off feeders, sure ain't bad eating if following all the above.

Granted I"ve lost count but probably never shot more than 200 in life so far...

Sidebar, I've shot and tried javelina every last way... I will never attempt them again... you can NOT make one of them edible IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....