We usually eat quite a bit of feral hog each year, but I haven't shot one in awhile, mostly due to the heat. Last one I did get was a tender shoat I cooked whole in my electric smoker. I've eaten all sizes, never got a really bad one, actually the largest boat I've taken on my place was excellent eating, but from his smell he had been heavily into some molasses-based livestock feed!

In my opinion, gloves should be worn whether cleaning hogs or deer. Most common hog diseases are neutralized by cooking. Fresh back straps are as good as deer back strap, and I like to cure and smoke the hams. Shoulders are either cut up for sausage or into "roasts". The ribs are "different" from domestic hog ribs, but very tasty smoked.

As has been noted, not a lot of fat on feral hogs, so some fat usually needs to be added when making sausage. I usually make "pan" sausage, which we use for meat sauces and as a substitute for ground beef, as well as for breakfast sausage.

I have only killed one feral hog to date with enough belly fat to make bacon, but the dry cured bacon I made from that one was VERY good.

By all means, get them skinned and quartered, washed well, and on ice ASAP! I leave either hog or venison iced for as long as a week, draining water off and adding ice if needed daily.

Mike