Originally Posted by okie john
I hunt in thick brush in western Washington. The most important thing is that the rifle has to fit you--when you bring it up, you should see the crosshairs superimposed over whatever you were looking at without having to wiggle around or shift anything. Okie John
I beg to differ. That's the second most important. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is that the rifle have enough weight and the correct balance to hold steady for offhand shooting and swing smoothly for shots at moving game. It also needs a light, crisp trigger so as to get those offhand shots off at precisely the right instant those crosshairs are pasted in the sweet spot. I've primarily hunted thick woods and brush for over 40 years and exclusively for the last 20. I've killed over 150 deer in that environment, on the ground and on my feet. Over the years I've tried about every damn rifle there is at one time or another and you won't find any of these lightweight or flyweight rigs in my woods rifle collection today. What I do use would all be considered at least mid weight and some run to the heavy side. Lightweight portability is of far less relavence than the fact that I can consistently put my bullets in a 2" circle at 65 yards offhand and I'd like to see how many of these guys on here could do that with the ultra light rifles they seem so fond of. Particularly when their heart rate is at least slightly elevated from the exertion and excitement of the hunt. I'd bet heavy coin not very damned many.