Originally Posted by micro240
I am looking to add to my gun cabinet with a rifle that will be used for whitetail deer hunting at close range in thick cover. Think maximum of 75 meter shots and often at moving deer. The two I am considering the most are the Tikka Battue Lite and the Browning BLR. Caliber will be likely be 7mm-08 or 308 - both are offered in it.

Any and all opinions welcome. I have primarily been a bowhunter and am slowly transitioning into the rifle hunting world.

You pretty well defined my first 20 yrs of deer hunting. My answer was a pre war Savage 99F with 20 in light barrel, receiver peep sight, in 30/30.
Substitute any of the traditional lever actions in 30, 32, 35, or 44 caliber and you're in the money.
No scope needed at the ranges you're talking, but if you have to scope keep it low powered.
Relatively short bolt guns will certainly work (I'd go short action and 22" or shorter barrel), but a nice slick lever gun gets you that second or third (or fourth!) shot at a running deer much quicker.
Calibers below 30 fell out of favor in our little hunting circle due to too many wounded and lost deer. Hard to get perfect bullet placement on running deer, the larger calibers allow a little more error.