Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I found that the .3 loads might look good but were more a statistical anomaly. Shoot thst load for a group 5 more times and see if it still holds up. As you posted, adding .3 resulted in slower speeds and not even one pct difference in speeds, kind of erratic.

My thought was actually that the 46 grain load had reached the maximum velocity/pressure that was accurate. That was the purpose of going over .3, just to see how much it effected things, and from what I saw it did.

I'll agree, for most work .3gr is not going to amount to much. But in reality it does effect things. Maybe I am trying to squeeze the loads too much in an effort to get the best one, but I'm one of those guys that if I think about something without doing it then it haunts me until I do it.

I have worked up loads before that shot great, then changed the seating depth or something else only to find out the load did not shoot like it did before. Changing it just a few tenths of a grain brought things back together.

Maybe its dumb luck, or just pure happenstance, but I still stick with it. Just not for first time group testing. That I only do in .5 increments.