Originally Posted by redz06
Dick,

I shot benchrest myself in the central region mainly in the 90's. Learned more in those years than the rest of my life in rifles. Twas a tough crowd, but none so forthright in giving knowledge/expertise......absolutely freely; no strings of any kind. Once you shoot a benchrest rifle, things are different sorta speak, which I am sure you experienced as well.

I really did not think of building a No.1 for benchrest/or other accuracy competitions, lots of things going against it, but can see how that would be the fun part; now that we have done most everything conventional. I hear some guys in the NW doing pretty good in rimfire matches with a specialized No.1, multi pins, shrouded short barrels, etc. I too enjoy the fun stuff, but have to admit, lots of things against the no.1 for real competition............do I really care, not much.....fun/knowledge/technique are the real drivers anymore. Lots of different aspects of fine rifles, takes time to enjoy them all.

I hear you about ammo in rimfire accuracy, but the more everyday aspects of rifles are kinda fun too. Guess tis why the service teams buy the multi pallets of 22lr to test in their Mann's.

I suspect that if your boy is in the ACGG, he probably knows how. I hope that you will hold to a supported chamber approach; all in all, not a lot to the conversion; most gunsmiths can do it if worth their salt.

I enjoy accurate rifles just like everyone else, but at my age and tenor; just is not everything for me anymore. Gotta have something different or something that some said I could not do on my own. I asked around for years on how to do a No.1 rimfire or who would do one for me...........zero response or worse.....so traded a rifle for an old lathe, and the rimfire project began.........slowly..........learning the lathe on your own without help is not overly easy, but now am comfortable in doing most things that way.

I hope you will find time for the rimfire conversion on a no.1, I think that you will be come fascinated with it.

You and I are on the same page re: benchrest in the 90's. I would never have thought of a No. 1 as a BR rifle till it shot so well in test firing with the pattern stocks. The Kepplinger trigger is a huge asset. Fought No. 1 triggers for too many years.

The Michigan ACGG guy is Steve Durren. I've been told he's the best No. 1 in the country. We'll be visiting him this winter. He's a competition shooter who uses an elegant high wall that he made in black powder competition. I have one pic of his high wall... lovely.

I have a line on two No. 1's, one that I will probably get and another that I really should. I have in mind a petite .22 squirrel rifle for carrying in the woods... seven lbs. prox with scope. I have the time to do it but getting the funds into my slush fund will slow things down. The metal work will be expensive. I will use my pattern for the butt stock (I really like the lines.) and a much smaller fore end.

Starting a project is fun... especially for an old guy.

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 01/20/17.