It's been over a month since I shot the above target and I've learned a lot. First, if you are not really fussy how the Unertl is mounted you will shoot like a blithering idiot... been there, done that. The guy in Ohio, the former Unertl employee, coached me a bit and that problem is cured.

Good news... I have found that Isreali 2015, made only in 1990 and 1991, works very well in this cartridge. Really good news since I have a good supply of it. It meters well thru my Jones measure. I haven't chronographed it yet but am guessing that it gives me more velocity than the IMR 4895 that I had been using.

The bad news... since, due to health reasons and old age, I haven't shot much competition the last few years, I really need a lot of practice to catch up. Even with a gun that shoots much better than I have any right to expect, I can still screw up badly. (Remember... this ain't no bench gun, it's an 8-1/4 lb. Ruger No. 1.) I shot in a match last week and, again, made a complete arse of myself. The wind was howling and I simply couldn't handle it. During a short calm, I found that I was much smarter than in a 20 mph wind.

On the whole, I'm happy with the results of a very long project. I wanted and got a 50's or 60's varmint rifle. The aesthetics and workmanship are what I wanted. The wood is excellent. It is now accurate enough to give me the opportunity to get off my butt and work hard enough to shoot in a manner that won't be embarrassing.

I'm still thinking about asking the local rancher if I can pop a couple of his ground hogs...