I bought one last year, I don't think it is any sort of magic though. I wanted a rifle that had a little less recoil than my .30-06, a gun that I could put a scope with turrets on and shoot a pronghorn or aoudad out to 400 yards, and something to shoot long range steel with for fun. Being that I shoot Weatherby Vanguards, the Creedmoor it was. I'm not going to spend the $ on a custom 6.5x47 or 6.5-06 when I can buy a guaranteed accurate rifle for $400.

IMO, people obsess needlessly over cartridge choice when it is the gun weight, barrel length, scope choice, etc, that makes the bigger differences as to how well it works for your needs. For the 90% of hunters that shoot deer from 0-300 yards, anything from a .243 to a .300 Win Mag will do the job just fine.

If I were to start from scratch with my hunting rifles, I'd probably have a pair of Weatherby Vanguards in McMillan stocks, topped with Leupold 2-12 VX-6's. One chambered in .22-250AI and the other in .280AI, both with fast enough twist to shoot heavy bullets.

Last edited by Gatogrizz27; 07/01/17.