To me you really can't as far as killing.. The last .338 I had kicked like a mule when I got to the speed I wanted, and I could do the same with less recoil out of them .300's.. To me the next step above the .30's is to the .375.. My .375 has taken elk, moose, and antelope.. I like it for timbered country, but I seldom hunt there.. I have a nice .340 I probably haven't fired in 10 years.. For some reason the recoil seems less than the last .338 I had build, both were on rebarreled 700's..

Bob Hagel did penetration tests with Nosler Partitions.. The 7 mag won with the 175, the .300's were next with 200 gr. He felt the .33's would be right in there if there was a 225 Nosler Part. Now there is.. My attitude is if something interests me, I am going to try it.. If a .338 has your interest, get it.. Then you will know if it suits you or is better for your style of hunting..
Even though I seldom use my .375 or .340 I still like having them.. I have plans for using them come fall..

When you have a good 7mm mag. or .300, you are at the top of performance.. The next step is sheer power and bullet wt.. That is where the .375's step up.. The .338 is a good caliber.. For hunting in timbered areas it would be excellent.. No need in today's world of not having something you want.. Go for the .338 or .375 or both.. That is what make life interesting..
If I only hunted with my first .30-06 which I still have, I would have given it up long ago..

Molon Labe