hatari,

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a check for a deposit on what will likely be the last safari to Africa for myself and my wife.

This hunt will be in SA, for 7 of the Tiny Ten species, after a number of earlier trips for plains and dangerous game. Even though the hunt is still 11 months away, the planning has already begun!

Equipment:
After talking to my PH, I have decided on taking my .30-06, and FMJ ammo for it. My PH had initially recommended my .375 and solids, but I really want to take something with less weight, less recoil, and that is very accurate with my chosen ammo, and my Browning X-Bolt fills that bill very nicely. I have it topped with a Leupold 3-9x CDS scope, which will allow for longer shots in the mountain areas for Klipspringer, Reedbuck, and Vaal Rheebok. My PH has a shotgun for use on close-range, little stuff like the Blue Duiker. All-up with scope, rings, and sling, this rifle weighs in at 7.5#, and is a breeze to carry. My PH has a soft case in camp, and shooting sticks, so no need to pack this stuff. A spare scope, sighted in, wrenches for scope rings and bases and action screws, lube, and a Bore Snake, all will go along. Since a fair amount of shooting is anticipated, soft ear plugs will be thrown in the pack, also for checking rifle zero once in camp..

I think the Leica Geovid 10x42's will once again go along on this hunt. The ability to find small game at distance, and quickly range it, has proven to be invaluable over the years I have owned the Leicas.

Clothing:
After 4 previous hunts to Africa, my hunt closet is already equipped with all the appropriate clothing I will need for this hunt. Thankfully, I am still at the same weight as I was on the last trip! The amount of clothing we take along seems to diminish with every trip- there is almost always laundry service wherever your camp is.

Trip preparations for travel, logistics, etc:
I will probably use the same travel agency I have used in the past to get travel arrangements, airline reservations, Meet and Greet, travel insurance, gun permit information, etc. in order. I have already contacted them, and next month will begin the airline reservation part of the process.
I will need new Form 4457 documents for my rifle, scopes, binocs, etc. but will not get these for a couple months before departure- I need to get the rifle, ammo, scope, etc. thoroughly wrung out before I commit them to a document I cannot easily change.
I need to talk to my taxidermist, let him know that the trip is coming up, and get tags from him to attach to hides, horns, etc. once game is taken.
A visit to my cell phone provider store is in order, to make sure my wife and I can use our cell phones internationally without incurring monster charges. We already have SA plugs for electrical outlets, from previous trips.
Gun case and luggage are pretty well set, also from a number of international trips in the past. Passports are fairly recently renewed, with lots of blank pages just waiting to be filled.

My wife and I are in good health (for our age, of course!), but as the hunt draws near, I will be stepping up my exercise regimen to include climbing up and down the cliffs near our home.

We hope to be able to spend a day in Jeffreys Bay at the end of the hunt, and possibly do a day of deep-sea fishing before returning home. My wife fell in love with the JB area on our last safari, and wants to go live there. I'm not quite up for that, not yet anyway.

hatari, back to your original thoughts about sharing events leading up to the hunt- these are a few of the things that will be occupying my thoughts over the next 11 months! I have always found the preparation and anticipation to be a vital part of any hunt, especially these African excursions. Will also be studying each of the animals I intend to hunt, their habits, habitat, hunt techniques, etc. to at least be partially prepared for what is coming.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....