Planning my first DG hunt (Buffalo) for 2019. Hope to also bump into a few targets of opportunity - Livingstone Eland, a big Kudu (I say big because I have a 48 and a 50), Hyena would be cool, a snorter Warthog.

Venue will be the BVC. Plan to book with John Sharp. I have several buddies who are talking with me concerning trying to make this trip...so may be a group hunt with up to 4 guys. That would be something if we can pull that off!

I will hunt with a Ruger No 1 Boddington Buffalo in 450-400 NE wearing a Skinner peep sight. Bullet will most likely be either an A-Frame or Northfork...400gr. I will target 2,200 to 2,300 fps. Most likely Fed 215 and IMR 4831...but lots of time to sort that out. I have 3 or 4 powders on my bench that can achieve the target velocity.

I am a real wussie when it comes to hot weather hunting, but also don't want the vegetation so thick and tall that it hampers hunting to the extreme. Compromise will probably mean target dates are mid-July to mid-August?

I have enjoyed corresponding with John over the past year. He is obviously a wealth of knowledge on hunting DG in general and the BVC in particular. Just getting to hunt with him will be an honor. I believe I could also say that about quite a few of the PHs in Southern Africa.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.