Originally Posted by Sevens

I had found a well priced Lufthansa flight, similar to what I took in 2011, that seemed to work for me. Travel Agent shot that one down as traveling anywhere through the EU with a rifle on to Zimbabwe was a no-go. Alright, so much for that idea, guess I've either got to fly from DFW to the east coast then to JNB, or fly DFW to somewhere in the gulf (Dubai, Doha, or Abu Dhabi) and then down to JNB. I have a strong dislike of pretty much all the USA based airline carriers as the level of service is horrible compared with the international airlines (actually I really hate flying in general as the seats are way too small for someone as tall as I am), so since I have the option to fly the "2017 Trip Advisor Airline of the Year," and they have a flight that works for all my connections, and I get to layover in place I always wanted to go, I'll be flying Emirates! Well, at least that is the plan, waiting to see if they run any specials to save me a few bucks or get me into business class. It's pretty much the only airline though that offers a flight that gets me to my final destination with enough layover time for bags and rifles to transfer. All the reviews I have heard about Emirates are great, so I am excited to use this airline as well as see Dubai during the layover.

You are correct that you cannot fly from the EU with a gun to Zimbabwe on a single ticket. From DFW you could fly to JNB on Lufthansa or BA and then on a separate ticket fly on SAA to BUQ, but you would most likely be overnighting in JNB and have to get a RSA gun permit. Or take a risk and try for the 10:40 AM flight, but with Customs and Immigration, SAPS and then recheck the gun, doubtful.

You can also fly Emirates into Harare (HRE) and skip JNB and fly Air Zimbabwe to BUQ.

If there is space available the Emirates flight they will send you an e-mail about 2 days before your flight with a upgrade offer of $1000 from DFW to Dubai. I don't know the upgrade price from Dubai to JNB or HRE. But the upgrade does not come with lounge access or business class hotel and private car.. Coming home from Dubai, Business class makes for a good night sleep and a good meal. The food in Coach on DFW/Dubai is geared towards Indians. Coach will be at least 95% Indians.

If are collecting AA miles you also have the choice of Qatar Air into JNB, which you will earn AA miles too. You might also look for a credit card that will give you a Priority Pass. That will get you into lounges in DFW, Dubai, Doha, JNB, Harare and Bulawayo.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 10/08/17.