It's cool to read the stories, and plans, and regrets here. I concur, you should go as soon as you can if you have the desire to do so.

I went in '15, pretty much as soon as I wanted to. I was 60, in decent shape, and for the first time in my life able to afford it. I didn't really want to go until then, in large part because I simply don't daydream about doing things that I can't make happen... so since I knew I couldn't afford the time or the money, I just didn't entertain the possibility. As soon as it became a possibility though, I went. And I don't regret a minute or a dollar spent at it.

I'm looking at a couple of options for '18 or '19. Three, actually. Easiest option is a plains game hunt in RSA with one of our 24HCF members who is an outfitter there. I could round out my spiral horn collection, get a bigger kudu, etc. Second option is a buffalo/eland hunt in Zambia with Sharp. Third option is a private hunt with a good friend who has superb connections there, and it would be a foursome, he and I and our wives. Dunno which is going to come together, but it will be one of them.

I really don't want to hunt anything but buffalo, to be honest. I'd really like to get a truly massive old dugga boy, well above 40". Those are hard hunts, I know, but that's really the only thing that excites me while I'm here. I know I'll be excited about other things when I get there. I didn't get my eland last time, and I didn't book for sable... a good mature bull of either species would be nice, but only if bagging one could be done without compromising the buffalo.

We shall see.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars