Originally Posted by yukon254
Ive personally taken at least 25 moose over the years and probably more. Guided hunters to many more than that. Bottom line is moose are not hard to kill. Ive seen a bunch killed with the 30/30 and I would bet more have fallen to the 303 British than any other caliber. The reason for that is the Enfield is a popular gun among the First Nation ppl. My current favourite caliber is the 338 Federal. Ive taken a few moose with it now and it just flat works.

When I started, both hunting and bush work in the BCFS,. most real oldtimers used .303s and .30-06s and the odd .270 or ,300H&H.

I have owned many rifles in all of these, a very lovely Geo. Gibbs, .303 with wood to die for, express sights and engraving, used it in northern BC, head of Williston Lake, as a "camp gun" and there were LOTS of Grizzlies around.

With GOOD bullets, say 180 Woodleighs, I would as soon use a .303 as a .30-06, .308Win. or any standard round for BC and would love a "Cape Rifle" so chambered with a 2.75" 16 bore tube.

That said, I have not gone to northern BC since about 1973, without at least one CRF .338/WM......usually a matched pair, simple, easy and most effective.