Lot's of good read here.

I use a 338wm with 250 Swift AFrames, this combination works very well.

I have killed or helped skin and pack moose killed with: 243, 6.5x55 swede, 270 win, 7mmrm, 280 rem, 308, 3006, 300 wm, 300weatherby, 338wm, 375h&h. The overwhelming commonality in all clean kills was shot placement; although for me 3006 class ballistics is the entry level for moose.

The first moose I shot with my 338wm dropped like a sack of potatoes (turned out I held high and broke his spine). Several moose later I had a young bull at about 150yards take 3 in the chest.. I was standing and just holding with no rest. The first shot the moose didn't move he stretched his neck and walked a couple of yards and went back to feeding. The second shot he kind of stretched again and walked a few more yards and then went back to feeding. At this point I was doubting myself as I practice a lot, but I took extra care on the third shot. On this one he jumped up (like they do when lung shot) and ran into the bush. I sat down and enjoyed a cup of tea and then went in to find him stone dead not ten yards in. When I skinned him I discovered the first two shots had gone through the back of the lungs without hitting a bone, through and through. The third one broke off a piece of rib which took the top of his heart off and then blew hole the size of my fist out the other side. Shot placement is everything.