IMR 3031 has been an accuracy powder in the 22-250 for years, as noted above. However, my handload for my first 22-250 was a maximum load of IMR 4895 under a Sierra 63 grain semi-spitzer.

Back in the 1980s, my first 22-250, a Remington 700 BDL heavy barrel, had a long throat, and that load shot great. Velocity was 3,500 fps. It was nearly as rough on woodchucks as my 25-06, and that's saying something.

When I got my third (and current) 22-250, a Cooper Varmint Extreme, I switched to the then-new powder Varget, as it is relatively temperature insensitive. My favorite loads in that rifle use 50 grain plastic-tipped bullets with Varget, RL-15, or N 540. I have used the H 380 load with 55 grain bullets, but I prefer 50 grain bullets in a rifle with 1 in 14" twist.

In my experience, the most explosive varmint bullets are Sierra Blitz King, Hornady VMAX, and Nosler Ballistic Tip. I haven't shot any varmints with the new flat-based tipped bullets from Nosler, so I can't rate them. All of the above shoot great in my rifle.

In my Cooper I worked up to 3,900 fps using Varget and moly-coated 50 grain bullets. I forget the load, but it was hot. I have backed down since. With today's new powders I think something like IMR 4166 would be a good choice. It burns cleanly and has that de-coppering agent built in. That's what I would recommend. Good luck with your rifle.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter