I'd go with a 375, either the Ruger or the H&H. I am on the 2nd barrel in my Mauser 375H&H and I know how well it preforms, so I have trouble going to something else.

The Ruger would be fine with me too because it's going to do what the H&H will do and so I have full faith in it, even though I have never used a 375 Ruger.

I have owned and used some 338 Winchesters and to be honest, I could not see the same level of effectiveness over a 20 year span of time as I saw with my 375, so I sold the 338s. Not a single thing wrong with them, but they just were not quite in the same league as the 375.

I have also owned two 416 Taylors I made myself. The same bullet (400 grain) at the same speed (2350 to 2400) as the original Rigby. Excellent guns and excellent cartridge, but I sold them too. For Africa they would have stayed in my possession, but I am not ever going back and so the 375 does as well on North American game as the 416 and reaches farther.

I still have a 404 Jeffery.
Why?
Just because it's very similar to one I used when I was young, and I just like it. But I don't hunt with it much.
I use the 375H&H, or just recently I have started using a 9.3X62 with perfect results also. I can't see much difference (yet) between the 375 and the 9.3 on game, but the 9.3 has a bit shorter barrel, holds 2 more rounds in the mag, weighs 1-1/2 pounds less and the recoil is about the same, which is to say not bad at all.

Last edited by szihn; 02/17/18.