Properly processed halibut and cod from Alaska has very little fishy odor compared to warmer water fresh water fish. All fish continues to cook when removed from the heat source so keep that in mind. I like halibut, but prefer ling cod, other cod, yellow eye and other rock fish over halibut any day. I find halibut best with a beer, Panko or Tempura batter. Co and rock fish is also good that way, but eats very well when baked with salt, pepper, fresh dill, fresh lemon juice and butter.

Good fish should not be fishy tasting and when I used to have our own salt water boats I always bleed the fish and filleted as quickly a possible and never let the fillets touch fish slime. The few charters I have been on never took the extra care I did and one time after watching a deck hand cleaning fish I told the skipper I wanted to clean my own fish at home.

I took a package of rock fish out for tomorrows dinner and it will get baked and ate with my wife's wonderful tarter sauce! Alaska is blessed with an abundance of wonderful sea food. The moose and caribou are good too!