Originally Posted by cisco1

I know 10/22's shoot. I iknow there are a lot of accessories for the hopeful owners.

I also know what classy Rifles are.....and Ruger 10/22's ain't ! And never will be no matter how much they are accessorized , with the exception of a classy piece of wood.

I gave my kids Xmas rifles , but I thought more of my kids to have to see 'em pull one of those 10/22's out from under the tree. I have more class than that .

150+ rimfires.....I know what has class .

There have been millons of VW Beatles sold too.

OK, so you were in a financial position that allowed you to buy "classy" rifles for your kids. Not everyone is in that position and many that are would not choose a "classy" rifle for their kid's first rifle. And they don't necessarily think less of their kids than you do yours.

My brothers and I opened our Christmas gifts one year to find Ithaca Model 49's in the boxes. The MSRP was around $22 back then (1961) and the metal has a painted finish. No one I know would call them "classy", but they were accurate and dependable. Mine got away from me later in life and decades later I spent several years looking for another one in good condition. The one I have now is accurate enough I can hit clay pigeons at 100 yards about 10% of the time using the irons and I think it would be a great first rifle for my grandkids - even though cost is not concern at this point in my life.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.