Originally Posted by 1minute
Enquiring minds want to know. Here's some rough data.

Deflection by glass

a second

third that was likely peer reviewed

and a video

I couldn't find a date on this article, but it's clearly an older report based on the type written font and ammunition used (lead 38special and 357mag.). It does however, support what my thoughts were regarding the ballistics of shooting through a windshield. (I can't judge the officer, as I don't know all the details, or the nature of the suspects, etc.) I do know this though, any disturbance to the bullet's flight early in the flight will lead to significantly larger dispersion of the bullet's flight down range. As any good rifle shooter knows, a cross wind near the muzzle is far worse than cross wind at the target. This is the same principle here, mess up the bullets flight as it leaves the barrel and it's probably not going to hit where intended. Compound this variation with shooting from a moving vehicle at a moving vehicle and any hit would be impressive. The other question that comes up is, after going through the windshield, what condition was the projectile in to penetrate another windshield or sheet metal? Looked like he was using 40sw., but couldn't discern the bullet make. Whatever happened, it worked out for the officer and two more bad guys were taken off the street.

Worst part is now all the ammunition testing standards are going to have to be redone. Forget shooting through denim and 18" of gel, going to need to pass through two windshields and an engine block now. Might have to bring back the 10mm.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 07/20/18.