Originally Posted by Magnumdood
What you put forward hasn't been the case for years. Bonded core premium bullets deflect a little, but not near as much as you claim. 308 rounds and 223 rounds deflect almost "0" after passing through windshield glass. Handgun rounds deflect a small amount, but not enough to cause a miss on the target if the officer shoots center mass and the bullet actually would've hit where he was aiming, absent the glass.

Is that when the windscreen glass is at the target end, or the muzzle end? The reason I ask is because I've seen reports of testing that would have it that if the glass is near the target, the bullet will pass through and strike the target, provided the glass isn't too sharply angled. However if the glass is near the muzzle and the target at some distance downrange then the bullet may be so damaged or deflected that it won't strike the target.

For example, in the aftermath of a hostage siege in 2014 our police here did some testing with .308, and firing at 6 mm glass set at an angle with both 165 Trophy Bonded and with 196 gn RUAG Swiss P (AP) at a distance of 49.5 m they found that a target close behind the glass would have been killed. However when a second glass panel (I think this one was 12 mm thick, but I don't have the actual report to hand) was placed a short distance in front of the muzzle the RUAG AP bullet broke up on penetrating the first panel and no fragment hit the second panel 49.5 m downrange.

None of the above should be taken as comment on the actions of the officer in the video.