I’m in the camp of “don’t change anything.”

Your basis for wanting to purchase her another handgun is “ in case she engages multiple threats.” Has she even engaged a SINGLE threat engagement? I,m guessing, “no.”

A semi-auto is a different system than she is currently used to ( revolver). An “ threat engagement” will be a stressful event. You want #simplicity, and familiarity of the weapon by an 80+ year old. You don't want her to hesitate and think, “Is the chamber loaded in my semi-auto” at the moment of truth/ need. ( which we all (one never happens).

Spend the money on ammo for practice. She has 5 shots with her current 38 wheel gun. With 5 well-placed head shots, you get 5 ( multiple encounters) addressed soundly. Sort of the, “ beware of the person with 1 gun, as he/she probably knows how to use it” school of thought.

Maybe buy her an Acme Thunderer whistle to blow LOUDLY before a round is fired, with gun at the ready. Could scare off a threat. Consider well-fitting grips, to increase natural “point ability.”

I vote, “practice more with her current reliable, simple 38 +p revolver”, and improve proficiency/ familiarity/point ability and LOUD whistle blowing ( S-O-S Morse code whistling. “ dot dot dot dash dash dash. dot dot dot”. For help)., and that she never needs to use any of it.

Last edited by buttstock; 10/11/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."