Originally Posted by bcraig

I am wanting to buy my Mom another handgun for self defense.

She has a concealed carry license and Currently carries a S&W 642 38Special loaded with Hornady 135 grain Ammo.
At 10 ft she can stay on a paper plate for 5 shots.
Pretty good for an 80 year old lady

She carries it in a holster in her purse ,I know not the ideal but that is where she is going to carry it..

I am wanting to get her a pistol that carries more rounds in case of multiple threats.

I am thinking about a DAO 380 or 9mm that holds 10 plus rounds with a long double action pull similar to the Revolver she currently carries,with no safety to fumble with.
Preferably something that she could pull the slide back on .Of course reliability is a must.

I would appreciate Information on pistols that will meet those criteria for her,preferably first hand experience.

She is going to carry it in her purse so get her a model 10 or 64. They are much easier to shoot well than a J frame and concealment won't be a problem. If she has multiple threats that don't flee after the first one is hit then, sorry to say it, she's going down regardless of her firearm choice.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.