Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bcraig: I bought my mother a Smith & Wesson Model 60 "Ladysmith" in 38 Special about 30 years ago - it served her well (not that she ever shot it in a self defense situation!) but it gave her much peace of mind as her neighborhood (in the Puget Sound area) has steadily declined - becoming more and more unsafe each year.
Pleas for her to "move" to a safer neighborhood were rejected.
I say keep and eye on her when she travels and an eye on her neighbors/surroundings - in other words the revolver she has would/should in all likelihood, suffice for her, forever.
My beloved mother just passed away this late spring at age 92 and again her revolver gave her much peace of mind in her home during her later life.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

My condolences to you and family for the passing of your Mother

The area she lives in has grown worse and worse throughout the years,she has been broken into twice ,Thankfully she was not home.
I have tried to get her to either move in with the wife and or let me put her a nice doublewide on our property within 25 yards of where we live so she could have her privacy And be safer as well.|
Well she always thanks me but she has a friend(another lady about 70 years old )who is her neighbor and they watch out for each other.
Also says she has moved before and will not move again !

I had an alarm system installed in her house and it works very well being monitored 24/7 and also bars put on her windows(she fought that tooth and nail).

I also talk with her on a constant basis ,explaining to her that the best weapon she has is her mind and to always be aware of her surroundings,Have showed her how fast someone can be upon her,told her an excellent weapon is her car and if thugs line across the road in front of her attempting to do her harm for her and she cannot turn around or go around them to run over the scum.

I have taught her not to stand in front of the her door when hearing something outside as it is easy to shoot through a wooden door,.same about windows.
Not to go to the door or open the door unless she recognizes the voice .

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money