Originally Posted by jwall
K O O L camp there Ihook.

Clearcuts ‘seem’ damning to hunting AT FIRST but the REgrowth and NEW growth where it was NOT before is heaven for deer.
It depends on locale and the areas.natural vegetation but in a couple of years the amount of natural food AND cover will host and hide (protect)
deer & other wildlife.

Stay with it and WATCH. Good Luck to you & your family.

Jerry

We also hunt the clear cuts in northern WI. However, the country is quite a bit different than where iHookem hunts. We are NW WI, sand country. The cuts regrow in red pine and scrubby oak. Not a lot for acorns as far as I can tell. But, the cuts grow up in waist high grasses and tag alder/dog wood type brush before the red pines get big enough to matter much.

But IHookem is right. Most of the logging is done county specific. The state lays off the logging on their land as do most of the timber companies by us because they’re not ready to cut...too young. And of course on the National forest it’s a miracle if something gets logged.

I’m not sure if we are just in a pocket of deer or just lucky, but, we have no problem seeing deer at most hours of the day. Not a lot of big WI bucks of lore, but some damn fine ones. We have nothing huge on camera. I would say the biggest is 110-120”. It’s public land so, those don’t get a pass by many guys.

Camp is where you make it.