Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Originally Posted by roundoak
A lot of deer camps in Northern Wisconsin have closed, including the one my Grandad and his sons owned since the 1930s. The main reason is the deer herd has been significantly reduced by hard winters, state and federal forestry practices, wolves and bears.

Sad to hear about the deer herd in WI. Here in LA, we had very few deer in the 60's I was told. I was just a little whippersnapper at the time. But I remember daddy and papaw telling about the introducing some Wisconsin "blue deer" around here. Every time someone would kill a deer with a grayish coat and a nice rack, people would go on and on about it being one of those "blue deer" from Wisconsin. Very sad now to hear the deer herd is struggling. Probably wouldn't want any of our little ol' deer from here these days, but I would be willing to send some back to y'all if you want them. Right now we have plenty it seems.

It is necessary to be more specific about "Northern Wisconsin" of which I speak and that is basically north of HW 29. Central and Southern farmland has good or high populations.

Here is a "blue deer" that I shot a few years ago in a river bottom where typically I find that color phase.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime