Originally Posted by Formidilosus
OP,

Jacked up collar bone and deer- 6mm Creedmoor, fast twist 243, or 6.5 Creedmoor. Easy.

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

A do-all rifle for 700yd deer...don't drink the CMKoolaid if actual 700yd shots are likely. The 6.5 cal is likely a good choice, but not the small-capacity CM case. If most of your shots will be closer, and you'd like the option of maybe learning how to shoot animals to 700, then the CM is not a bad choice, with the right bullets. A 700 yd shot in OK is not Creedmoor-friendly, in my opinion. You'll need more speed.

And there are a lot of great off-the-shelf options for rifles now, like the Tikka, or for a bit more money, the Barrett Fieldcraft. A lot of guys think these two constitute the perfect hunting rifle. Just make sure you are pushing enough lead if your goal is actually 700yd hunting. I hunt and shoot in the mountains at higher altitudes where the air is less dense, and even mild wind gets pretty difficult to call at 600yds, which is the farthest I practice. I'd not hunt a CM at 700yd for big animals.

There isn’t an issue at 700 with the Creedmoor and the right bullet. I don’t, and haven’t, had a problem at that range on elk and the 6.5 Creedmoor.

A bullet that impacts the animal with enough velocity to expand/upset will kill just fine. I get high hit rates past 900 with the CM, but the bullets do not have enough impact velocity to upset.

Form, you aren't most shooters. What you presuppose is that the bullet is going to hit the vitals when someone who doesn't shoot many thousands of rounds a year is on the trigger.

I'm not saying the CM can't, just that there are FAAAR better cartridges for a 700yd gun. Even though it works for you, I'm sure you can agree that it is not optimal. Hornady asserts that it is not optimal. The name of the cartridge designates what it was designed for, and what it is best for. Yes, people can make hits on animals at long ranges with it, when they know how to shoot it really well, but there are other of-the-shelf options that are better for several reasons.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.