HnS,

I agree with some, but not all. The reason is while I do shoot a lot, it’s also part of my job to teach/get others to hit at long range under all conditions. The difference between me and most people is that I get to see a large variation of people, skill level, and philosophy’s of training and equipment. EVERYTHING I see and do, says the highest success rates come from the lowest recoiling platforms that will meet ballistic requirements. Most others seem to think one should go with the biggest gun they can handle, which is a guaranteed way to be beating ones head into a wall.

I CHOOSE to shoot a fast twist 223 out to 600 on deer for a reason.

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
What you presuppose is that the bullet is going to hit the vitals when someone who doesn't shoot many thousands of rounds a year is on the trigger.

Then why are they shooting at an animal? If someone, hasn’t and doesn’t shoot thousands of rounds a year at distance from field positions and under varied conditions- they have zero business shooting at animals at any kind of distance. Also, if the bullet doesn’t hit vitals, it’s doesn’t matter what you’re shooting. At 700 yards a gut shot is a gut shot with very few exceptions. Interestingly, almost all missed on animals are high or low. Very few are left or right, even at distance.

What I purpose is that people should use the easiest to shoot cartridge that will have the necessary terminal ballistics. Increasing recoil does not help hitting.

I'm not saying the CM can't, just that there are FAAAR better cartridges for a 700yd gun.

What cartridges are “FAAAR” better for a light recoiling 700 yard gun? That also seems to need to be lightweight.

Even though it works for you, I'm sure you can agree that it is not optimal. Hornady asserts that it is not optimal. The name of the cartridge designates what it was designed for, and what it is best for. Yes, people can make hits on animals at long ranges with it, when they know how to shoot it really well, but there are other of-the-shelf options that are better for several reasons.

The name? It’s a name. It propels extremely high BC bullets with excellent terminal ballistics, at a speed that insures good terminal performance to 700-800 yards, with relatively light recoil. Once recoil goes above 12-14’ish ft-lbs, shootability drops considerably. Not just in pure recoil tolerance, but spotting trace/splash, quick second/third shots, lowered practice time, and then the ability to consistently and correctly press the trigger from awkward field positions under stress/excitement.... and to do it somewhat quickly.

You are correct. I do not think it’s optimum for whitetails at distance- it’s too big. A fast twist 6mm with high BC 105/108/115gr VLD’s is a better choice. Better still would be a 22 Creedmoor with Hornady 88gr ELD-M’s.