Originally Posted by rugerdiggs
Thanks guys for some feedback, i generally dont shoot at deer at 700yds or coyotes on a everday or season. Where i hunt at though is usually in the farm ground in the river bottoms. the 2 fields i generally hunt are both a mile long and 500-700 yds wide and they are back to back so its actually 2 miles long and 500-700yds wide. The hard part to hunting the deer is the wind shifts alot next to red river and at the lightest hint of pressure the deer will come out way down there. Generally my shots are 300-550 yds and been shooting a 6.5 creedmoor and hornady 143ELDX that i gave to my daughter ( she earned it though, youth season when she was 7 she killed a toe head at 277yds double lunged him, told her if she killed another deer with it she could have it, she did and she didnt forget what i said lol).

I have been looking at the barrett in 6.5cm and the Christensen arms ridgeline in 6.5cm but in no hurry so wanted to see what others thought. Not a fan of the 25-06 on deer, may have had a bad run of remington corelokt but several years ago i had a very accurate ruger tang safety, shot a nice buck at 200yds behind the shoulder, he trotted 40yds and stopped, looked at the blood coming out and it wasnt much so i put another one in about an inch behind it. Seen him go into the woods, gave him 45mins, eased in and barely had a blood trail for 100yds and it went away, zig zagged back and fourth and even got a dog after it and didnt find him. I knew exactly where the first shot went and very upset with the round, shot a doe at 300yds and had same thing happen, got rid of it that night. And for the 270 in my experience i have not shot one that kicked 1.5 times harder than my 30-06 with 180gr. May just be the few that i have shot but believe i would cry if shot one right now and then have to go see my shoulder doc and listen to him lol.

Too bad you based the performance of 25-06 on core-lokt's. While it would not be much fun on your shoulder right now, it could be a very worthy caliber contender for the long shots you described with some premium bullets.

Last edited by centershot; 12/05/18.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope