I still load them and use them in 2 of my 30-06s and sometimes in my 300 H&H.

Bear and elk are the main targets but I have killed a few deer with them too. Those were killed when I had elk tags in my pack so I used what I had in my hands. Overall I have zero complaints. I like them.

I recovered only one in all my life. It was from an elk I killed in the Selway Wilderness in Idaho, but the bullet went through most of it's body lengthwise as it was going away from me. All other kills have left exits. I didn't weight that one I recovered, but I am going to guess it still had about 70% of it's weight.

So are they "better" then 180 and 200 grain bullets? there is no way for me to know for sure.

I always use pretty tough bullets in my 30-06s and my 300, so I usually get exits. If you have the same sized hole and it goes clear through I can't say that anything is "better" then anything else.

I only criticize bullets that don't give me exits or that veer off at odd angles when they hit fairly regularly. It's the hole that kills. 100% penetration is as good as you can get ---- and if you have that, the only thing one round can do 'better" is to give greater cavitation. (Hole diameter)

In my 50 years of experience, if you want a larger diameter hole you should go to a larger diameter (and often heavier) bullet. I have owned some VERY fast over-bore 300s and killed game with them, but I can't say any of them made bigger diameter holes then my 30-06s or my 300H&H in the elk. In fact if the bullets break up they don't do as well as a 30-06.