Originally Posted by Seafire
My favorite 30 caliber bullet....

Steve spoke of using them in a 300 H & H....I think the coolest round I've ever seen was 220 grain RN in a 300 H & H....just reaked of old school nostalgia....

Since I have a bad habit of thinking outside the box.....

I've handloaded them to function thru a 30/30.... yeah seated real deep, but they actually were the most accurate bullets ever shot out of that old Model 94 that was handed down to me... decades ago...

Using 748 powder, originally in the 1750 fps range....and oh they would still penetrate...

Friend had a 30/30 single shot H & R... and wanted to load the heaviest hardest hitting load he could to
kill a nuisance black bear he said was good sized at his cabin....seated the bullet out to the cannelure...
W 748 stout load, chronographed at 2100 fps....we were both quite surprised and yeah it kicked in the H &R..
but it dropped the nuisance bear....

did the same load in the old Model 94...and experimenting with 5 rounds of brass....loaded them 10 times with that same load of W 748.....primers were still tight...you noticed it when you pulled the trigger tho...
the Model 94 never seemed to mind the load either...

when I feel the need for the 300 Win Mag, my load has always been 80 grains of H 1000 and a 220 grain RN... yeah a little over book max, but that is a risk every handloader has the choice to make or not..
surprising flat shooting at that MV for a Round Nose...sure wacks steel with authority...

one would also be surprised at what an 06 will do with a handloaded 220 grain RN with H4831SC....
I'll just leave it as the Ballisticians over at Nosler told me that you can't get enough 4831 SC in an 06 to over pressurize the case above SAAMI specs...

and finally those old Barnes 250 grain RNs? I have a box or two of them that were given to me that I've never used... might as well consider giving them away to someone....they seem almost as long as a 308 case...

also got a box or two of them 6mm RNs somewhere...I think those were 115 grain....another long bullet for caliber...that I'll probably never load...

I loaded Hornady 220's in a Marlin 30-30 once. They keyholed.