Originally Posted by czech1022
Only one person mentioned it, but I second the opinion: ditch the 18x scope and get something smaller and lighter. Elk hunting is a rigorous activity, and lighter weight will benefit you. Also, the possibility of having it set for a very high magnification when an elk appears at 60 yards is one point of failure I would, for one, prefer to avoid.

If you're determined to use that particssular scope, set it for 4x, 5x or 6x and put a piece of tape on the magnification ring to remind you not to change it! Then practice at that chosen magnification and get used to how things look. You can do very well at 400-500 yards with 6x magnification...indeed, some very experienced elk hunters go afield with a fixed 6x scope, which is lighter, simpler, and less likely to fail under tough conditions.

Best of luck!

That's true...IF your eyes are still young. Mine aren't. The rifle I hunted with this year has a 4x scope. I was working in to a large herd and wondering if I could see well enough for a 300+ yd shot when a cow came out from behind a tree at about 75. I quickly decided that she's was the best eating one in that whole herd. I've done some shooting at 300+ with that scope and it's not easy. A 4" bullseye at 300 is pretty fuzzy with a 4x.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.