Two things: Maybe 3.

1. Fire your rifle for group and drop (don't depend just on the charts) out to what you consider acceptable range (500 is a loooong way- I've done it on the open tundra) under simulated field conditions and positions). Then recalibrate your thinking to what you and your rifle can actually accept ethically, from field positions.

I have an '06 that bench shoots 3 into an inch at 300 yards. with a good rest - that's a thousand yard gun - in my hands, with a good field rest, on game it is a 500 yarder....

2. Get a good rangefinder. Nothing below an "800", and waterproof. 1,000 or more is better yet. Those are generally the maximum ranges they will work on reflective targets under very good to perfect conditions

And remember the rough drop rule for most big game cartridges. With a 200 yard zero (or a bit more), It is 8, 24, 48 in hundred yard increments, 300-500 yards. You likely won't have time to consult a chart taped to your butt. Stock, that is.... smile. 8,24,48 is real easy to remember, and an inch or two either way from the chart/actual shooting trials isn't going to make much difference in the field, on game. And it is almost perfect for the '06 cartridge. 8, X3, X2. (From here o. out, everything is roughly X@ for drop - of course, the farther out, the more "loose" it gets - don'tgo there....

3. If you can, get a chunk of freezer, refridgerator, or other large piece of cardboard box and make yourself a life size cut-out of an elk and play with it at all ranges. This includes using the duplex (if you have one) of your scope for quick and dirty range estimations.. shot placements for familiarization.

It is unlikely you will be taking an elk beyond "point-blank" range of 300 yards anyway, but every little bit helps.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.