At one time, in my first "rebarreled semi custom" ( I chose 30-06) a 23" Douglas Premium, Mod 70 FWT PF I used only two factory loads. The Hornady "Light Magnum" 180SP was available to me first. It clocked 2910fps ( 300 H&H territory) into 1 1/4" 3 shot groups. I killed my first cow elk with it. The 2nd one ( and settled on) was the Federal High Energy with 180 partition.It clocked an amazing 2970fps ( "good" 300WM speeds!) into 1" for 3 shots! Events were such that I ended up giving that rifle and 100rds of the Federal's to a missionary friend in South Africa. He ( and as a loaner to other missionaries over there) used it on Plains Game, including Cape Eland!

Now we don't see those loads ( heavy sigh) but with better bullets, we don't need them going that fast, though I "want" them to go fast, ha! In every 30-06 since ( more than a few!) for a heavy game load, I hedge my bet, so to speak, and load that 200 partition over a case full of R22...I haven't seen it use don elk, but it is one mean "hog thumper"! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 03/18/19.