If I were to use the 30-06 again, for elk, I'd use either the Nosler 200PT or 168 TTSX. If I was limited ( or just chose to use them) to factory loads, I'd try out the Superformance 165 GMX, or Vortex 168TTSX. If I could get my hands on them, some of the "boutique" factory loads; i.e. Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, some HSM loads, etc. Elk are "just the right" animals for monos, then Premiums, then heavy for caliber cup n core. This is only my opinion as I too have killed a lot of game with Remington/Winchester/Federal factory loads, mostly in 30-30 and 30-06. East Texas deer are more to be compared to pronghorn as far as being, what I call, 'delicate". Now hogs...now we are getting back into the physiology that is "perfect" for Monos. If a load won't shoot all the way through a big hog on a hard angle, you are better off using it later by shooting any elk through the ribs ( heart/lungs) on hogs, I'm not talking "Hogzilla either", nor small ones, but full grown ( preferable 250+) "To my observations", if a man is "itching" to see how his elk load ( of any suitable caliber) will do, go pig hunting (or shooting) but examine the bullet wound, penetration, etc. Its fun, plus very educational. Whats hard for me is I was raised to "only shoot that hog behind the ear, Son!" ha Its hard for me to intentionally take out both shoulders (or at least one on a bad angle). smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 03/18/19.